1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 F250 Gas V10 No Fuel Pressure Not Starting Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Pirate16
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dropped the tank when I did mine and it really wasn't very hard, in fact I did mine by my self in my driveway with a jack and two jack stands. The thing that fought me the most on mine was the filler tube, I had to cut the rubber part from the filler neck to the tank. The dealer wanted like $240 but that was for the filler neck and rubber hoses but Napa had just the tube I needed for about $30. Total time for the job was 4 hours, if I had had a engine hoist it might have been easier to lift the bed but im not sure.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
F250 SD
New User
Joel,
I'm having a similar issue on my 99 V10. Please let me know if this fixes the problem.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Joel351
New User
Originally Posted by Pirate16
I dropped the tank when I did mine and it really wasn't very hard, in fact I did mine by my self in my driveway with a jack and two jack stands. The thing that fought me the most on mine was the filler tube, I had to cut the rubber part from the filler neck to the tank. The dealer wanted like $240 but that was for the filler neck and rubber hoses but Napa had just the tube I needed for about $30. Total time for the job was 4 hours, if I had had a engine hoist it might have been easier to lift the bed but im not sure.
I just dropped the tank yesterday in my driveway, there was only 4 bolts and was easier than I thought, took me about 20 minutes to get the tank out (10 of those minutes where spent pumping out the gas). I see where the rubber hoses from the filler tube gave you trouble, they feel like they're caked on there, I used a small flat head screw driver to go around the tube to get it unstuck. As far as the pump goes, I'm just waiting for it from Amazon to arrive to get it installed. The Ford dealership wanted $510 Plus Tax which would be a total of like $560!! I got mine on Amazon for $310 no tax and with overnight shipping, saved $250!!

I'm planning to put a good tutorial together for replacing the pump since I didn't find one on here

Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Joel351
New User
Originally Posted by F250 SD
Joel,
I'm having a similar issue on my 99 V10. Please let me know if this fixes the problem.
From what I've learned so far is that it is most likely it is the fuel pump. The pumps are normally good for about 10 years and/or about 100k (my truck only has about 86k but is 10 years old). I wasn't too familiar with these engines and trucks so I was hoping there was something else to look at before replacing the pump, unfortunately what I found out was that the Fuel pressure regulator very rarely breaks down.

Here are some trouble shooting tips for you, so that you can know where or not it is your pump thats shot.

1. Check for Fuel pressure on the fuel pressure check port on the fuel rail (located on the passenger side toward the back of the engine. It has a black plastic cap that twists off)

2. If you have no pressure check your fuses, these were located under the steering wheel column on my truck. check your truck manual to see which ones are for the fuel pump and make sure they aren't burnt out.

3. Then check the Fuel pump relay, again check your manual for location (most likely under the hood, in the driver side or passenger side fender firewall. once you have located it, you can check it by turning your key to the on position, the relay works like a solenoid so you should hear a click or you could put your index finger on it and have someone turn the key into the on position and you will feel the relay kind of jolt.

4. if the fuses & relay are fine try priming your pump, which is turning your key onto the on position. Take the gas cap off and see if you can hear the pump work. This works best with two people because the pump only primes for about 3 seconds. Do this a few times, hopefully you will hear something like a swooshing noise and that means your pump is working.

also feel free to check the inertia switch which is located under the glove compartment near the passenger door, just to see if it tripped for whatever reason.

Now if your pump is woking, but you're not getting pressure you are going to have to follow you're fuel lines and check for any pinched lines.

If you're lines look fine, i would replace your fuel filter (about$10-$15) which needs to be replaced every 30k and you will have to replace it any ways if you have to replace your pump. when you unplug the fuel lines from the filter you should be dripping gas from both lines (which will help tell that the lines themselves are fine) after this go back and check the fuel pressure

if you're still having low or no pressure look into the pressure regulator see if its clogged or shot. From what I read on these forums and like i said earlier it seems like they are very rarely the culprits, but are not that expensive to replace (about $35) so it wont hurt to replace.

If all of this is done and you check the fuel pressure and it is still low its extremely likely your pump is bad, still working,but not pumping with enough pressure

Hope all of this was helpful!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:44 PM
SasquatchZilla
Laughing Gas
Another thing to check when it comes to fuel pumps is the relays. Most of the time they're easy to get to and bench test. You can also check the supply and switching voltage at the plug of the relay to rule out any issues there. Also fuel filters. I find that they are an often neglected area during routine maintenance.

Those checks can save you from having to rip out a fuel tank. That should always be the last step in a fuel supply issue when dealing with fuel injection.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Joel351
New User
Originally Posted by SasquatchZilla
Another thing to check when it comes to fuel pumps is the relays. Most of the time they're easy to get to and bench test. You can also check the supply and switching voltage at the plug of the relay to rule out any issues there. Also fuel filters. I find that they are an often neglected area during routine maintenance.

Those checks can save you from having to rip out a fuel tank. That should always be the last step in a fuel supply issue when dealing with fuel injection.
Yeah exactly what I just said above. The relay on my truck is not replaceable or so I have read on here on more than one post, it apparently is built into the fuse box. I'm not completely sure on how many F250s that applies to though.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:47 PM
SasquatchZilla
Laughing Gas
Haha! Your post didn't show when I wrote my post. More the merrier!

A non replaceable relay built in? Yuck! Hope it's a transistor or something of the sort. Bet they want big bucks for it as well.

I heard of some water issues on the fuse panels on the super duties. I'd check for that too. There's some threads about it.

A thing I ran into in the older ford trucks (not sure if it applies to the new ones) used on ranches/farms was plugged pickup screens for the pumps. Sometimes you could clean the screens and sometimes it was to late and it'd damage the pump. Either way if you find a lot of debris flush the tank well and buy an extra filter to change out after a few thousand, after initially replacing the filter after a pump change.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Joel351
New User
Exactly, the more the merrier! It's good cause it just verifies what I'm saying!

My tank wasn't really dirty, but still I flushed it out and cleaned it and its ready for the new pump! It should be here tomorrow

Old 01-04-2012, 04:15 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I read a thread a couple of months ago in the V10 forum Nomad27 posted the location of the fuel pump relay for '01 F250 with pictures. I have the same relays and box on my '02 Excursion. Here is the link.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-location.html

These are replacable relays. Hope this helps.

Last edited by jh818; 01-04-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Joel351
New User
Originally Posted by jh818
I read a thread a couple of months ago in the V10 forum Nomad27 posted the location of the fuel pump relay for '01 F250 with pictures. I have the same relays and box on my '02 Excursion. Here us the link.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-location.html

These are replacable relays. Hope this helps.
JH you came through again, thanks!

Who in their right mind put a the relay switch behind the radio??

Well I'm going to replace it as well, prevention always pays off

Old 01-04-2012, 04:57 PM
SasquatchZilla
Laughing Gas
Wow! What a crumby place for that thing. If someone sees a ford engineer please kick'em in the butt! With all the room in these things there's no reason to hide them there other than to give us a hard time.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:01 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SasquatchZilla
Wow! What a crumby place for that thing. If someone sees a ford engineer please kick'em in the butt! With all the room in these things there's no reason to hide them there other than to give us a hard time.
Tell me about it. I know that big blue one is the flasher for the turn signals. I have no idea what that other relay with the writing controls.

You also have a relay box under the hood on the driver's side wheel well. I forget what those were for.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Joel351
New User
Originally Posted by jh818

You also have a relay box under the hood on the driver's side wheel well. I forget what those were for.
Yeah I saw those, but in the wiring diagram they go nowhere near the pump so I ruled them out. I'm glad to know where the relay is though, when I kept reading that it was behind the radio, I took it for foolishness, but now I just think Ford is silly

Old 01-04-2012, 06:19 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I replaced the fuel pump in my E-350 last spring.
I used the bed of my tow truck as a ramp.
Then broke off the threaded part of the tank straps when trying to back off the nuts.
I purchased a Airtex pump from Advanced Auto online for $150.00
Buy Airtex Fuel Pump Sender Assembly E2275S at Advance Auto Parts
discounted from $200.00 with a code.
Ben's Bargains - Advance Auto Parts Coupons and Advance Auto Parts Coupon Codes

I welded on some all thread rod to replace the broken part of the strap.
I've since received a set of straps from the used parts dealer we use at work.
Now I've got to get under the van again and change them out.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Joel351
New User
Originally Posted by shorebird
I replaced the fuel pump in my E-350 last spring.
I used the bed of my tow truck as a ramp.
Then broke off the threaded part of the tank straps when trying to back off the nuts.
I purchased a Airtex pump from Advanced Auto online for $150.00
Buy Airtex Fuel Pump Sender Assembly E2275S at Advance Auto Parts
discounted from $200.00 with a code.
Ben's Bargains - Advance Auto Parts Coupons and Advance Auto Parts Coupon Codes

I welded on some all thread rod to replace the broken part of the strap.
I've since received a set of straps from the used parts dealer we use at work.
Now I've got to get under the van again and change them out.
Damn that sounds like one of those horror stories, bad luck man. I'm glad you were handy enough to fix em and get some replacements. I was lucky the bolts came off with a little umphh and the rubber hoses that go to the filler neck didn't break either. I ended up just going with the Motorcraft pump, I heard a lot of negative things about Airtex, even though The Airtex pump was $120 on Amazon and I almost bought it because of the price, but I had a change of heart at the last minute. I'm glad to heard its still working properly for you, I almost regret not trying it out, but I ended up spending the extra cash just for piece of mind, I know I will dwell on that kind of stuff.