1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Battery Keeps Draining

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 04:40 PM
eltyshaun
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Keeps Draining

This post concerns my 2003 Eddie Bauer expedition, with 160, 000 miles. I purchased a new batterry and alternator on Aug/2011. Last month my truck wouldn't start, the batterry died, so I got a jump and was told it was the battery, I was under warranty so they replaced it with a new one, Few days later, the batterry dies again, I went to the same store (Advance Auto) but at another location and they replaced the battery. The next day the truck almost didnt start but started and I went to Advance Auto to get a test report on the battery, alternator and charger, the report came back everything was working fine. Now the next day it again started slow with the speedometer and other gages going haywire like it has done the other few times that i forgot to mention. I drove it, and it drove fine but i know by tommorow either its going to be a worst slow start or the battery will be drained again. I need to know what the hell is going on and what is draining my battery. I dont leave any lights on in the truck and this will be the fourth battery I will need to replace. I dont think its the battery but something internal. Before I bring it to a shop where I know they might not tell me or fix the right problem without me shelling out hundreds of dollars, I hope someone with expertise on this matter can shed some light". Please get back to me ASAP!!!!!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:10 PM
alloro
Received 4,216 Likes on 2,446 Posts
1. Check to make sure the brake lights aren't staying on.
2. Check to make sure the glove box light is going off.
3. Check to make sure the under hood light is off when the hood is closed.
4. Pull the trim off the rear hatch and disconnect the wiper motor to see if the problem clears up.

Any aftermarket alarm, sound system, or remote starter installed?

Old 12-31-2011, 11:54 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
I saw your post over on another board earlier. Same advice I left for you over there - check the rear wiper motor. Pull the fuse and see if the problem goes away. Easier than alloro's #4, but still the same idea.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:04 PM
ekmoor
New User
Same problem here....tested fine including battery. If you leave the back deck open for more than 5 mins, no enough juice to start the truck. Replaced the battery yesterday. Today the alternator light is flashing. It seems like it's flashing a code. Two hours later...deck open but lights should go off on a timer, the new battery is stone dead. It's raining so I'll tackle tomorrow. What is the issue with the wiper motors?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:45 AM
richardliebert
New User
Check to see if there is a water leak under your dash. If your GEM (general lectrical module) becomes wet you will experience a myriad of electrical problems that make no sense. Leaks typically come from windshield sealant letting go and/or the sunroof drain pipes. Do you ever notice a wet carpet on the driver's side after an intense rain? If so you need to take action right away if it's not too late, GEMs are expensive.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Biggg72
Senior User
also make sure one of your door latches isnt stuck and the running board lights are staying.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Biggg72
also make sure one of your door latches isnt stuck and the running board lights are staying.
He likely won't be back anyway, but if what you are suggesting was the case the interior lights would be on and you would have to guess he'd see that.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM
scmadm
New User
Battery drain

For those who find this post/thread while researching a battery drain and having weird lights in the dash or wierd electrical activity, it is possible you have a well known problem of the windshield leak and it's hitting your PCM or fuse box.

Test the windsheild as some say by turning heat on full to create pressure in the cabin and spraying soapy water around windshield. If no leak detected, it could still be water from roof rack or sunroof. When I had the weird electrical issues (remote locks not wroking, theft light flashing, odometer going to all dashed at times, , battery light staying on with key out, gauges still working with key out and battery drain) I put truck in garage to ensure no water getting in, then out in a electric heater set at 750w and aimed first at fuse panel and had all windows cracked 2in to allow water vapor to escape, then disconnected the battery (to avoid the drain) and let it set like that for 1-2 days.

Whalla! the issue is now gone and the drain is gone. Truck works as it should. New windshield and all is good. Dealer wanted to put in a new PCM. Try the stuff that doesn't cost anything first if you have the time to dry it out. If after 1-2 drying you still have issue, no harm but doing this saved me the cost of a dealer installing a new PCM.

Last edited by scmadm; 11-12-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2012, 06:16 AM
High_Horse
Elder User
A simple fix which caused me a headache for a couple of days was a bad Mega Fuse. This fuse is located on the firewall where the main battery terminal leads to distribute power. This is also a cheap $10 or so piece you can get at stereo shops. I replaced battery and alternator and alternator (under warranty) again before I found this being my problem. Simply have it tested.