Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Stock.

Stock, stock, and stock.
I'll translate: "Granatelli, Bulley dog or Edge" are canned, canned, or canned. You pull a race car and you understand the importance of tuning. Buying one of these and installing it would be akin to putting factory parts in your race car . The other options in this thread are custom, custom, or custom. These are tuners that are programmed by people who can think out of the box and deliver the personal service a modified truck needs.

The cool-looking lift will not let you get much more MPG than you already have, but you can gain 2-3 MPG by making sure everything under the hood is 100% and you'll get a ton more power (with no loss in MPG) with the right tuner and gauges.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:06 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Tugly, you have a unique way of explaining things! Your post is dead on!!!!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Since my post was not really well-received by the original poster, I'll get into more detail and let him know exactly why BigAlsPSD gets it.

How does a diesel engine actually work? Without knowing this, it's going to be hard to explain exactly why you'll be throwing your money out the window expecting better fuel economy by purchasing a $$$ programmer or chip. Buying one of these products for the sole purpose of increasing fuel economy is a sure-fire way of ending up disappointed and re-posting here a few weeks down the road complaining that your mileage didn't increase.

Diesel engines make their power by adding fuel. That is IT. Sure, there are tricks to altering when the fuel is injected and there are tricks to increase the pressure under which the fuel is injected. However, the ultimate amount of fuel that is required to get your truck up to speed and keep it at that speed NEVER change by much. Expecting 20 MPG out of your truck at times when you don't have a 50 MPH tail wind or 400-mile downhill coast is VERY far fetched, especially with the tires you're running.

If it takes a specific amount of fuel to keep your truck at a certain speed on the highway, it's going to take about the same amount to do the same job regardless of who does the tuning. Want some credentials? I'm no rocket scientist or expert, but I do work for one of the companies mentioned above and I see it ALL THE TIME.

If you want better mileage, make changes to the truck that will reduce the power required to get it to speed and keep it there.....or find a cheap economy car.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:38 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks Cody.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:53 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Nope, not a site sponsor.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by bennett11
I would actually have to do the conversion cuz Im in canada and I keep track in KM.
But it works out to be close to between 12 and 14 MPG Just driving. I would like to see 20. But I may be dreaming with 35s on it.
You are dreaming, in my opinion.

"Just driving" as you put it, I get around 14 to 15 mpg with my 2-wheel drive truck on stock tires, with 2" leveling spacer up front.

You can see the mods I have in my sig.

Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Expecting 20 MPG out of your truck at times when you don't have a 50 MPH tail wind or 400-mile downhill coast is VERY far fetched, especially with the tires you're running.
Agreed.

Aint no tuning in this world that will get you there, with what you have right now.

Stewart

Old 12-30-2011, 04:10 PM
radmacks
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To answer the original posters question and not rant off topic, you will want to go with a custom tuner. IMO DP tuner and pick your three different tunes. One for everyday driving Econo 60 or 80, One for towing, and one for blowin black out right power. This will allow you to have three different profiles. One for putting around best case fuel mileage, one for towing and one for fun. When turners advertise better fuel economy they usually mean 1 to 2 mpg.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 PM
bennett11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by radmacks
To answer the original posters question and not rant off topic, you will want to go with a custom tuner. IMO DP tuner and pick your three different tunes. One for everyday driving Econo 60 or 80, One for towing, and one for blowin black out right power. This will allow you to have three different profiles. One for putting around best case fuel mileage, one for towing and one for fun. When turners advertise better fuel economy they usually mean 1 to 2 mpg.
Thanks for the reply. This is the kind of information im looking for. I do appreciate all input from other users.
Its all helpful.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by radmacks
To answer the original posters question and not rant off topic,
Nobody ranted off topic. Not a single post. Everyone at some point, answered, added info to, provided info or options, or backed up another posted regarding the OP's questions and intentions.

Stewart

Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 PM
radmacks
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Nobody ranted off topic. Not a single post. Everyone at some point, answered, added info to, provided info or options, or backed up another posted regarding the OP's questions and intentions.

Stewart
Okay i'll take the bate. He asked which programmer would be best for his needs.

"What im hoping for it to score a programmer that will help towing when needed but help fuel mileage when just driving."

Out of all the posts I think only two actually answered his question. Its funny how someone mentions MPG and everybody in these forums goes crazy LOL.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Aww, I wasn't trying to bait ya. I just thought you were exaggerating a bit.

I gotta run out the door, but when I get back, I'll qualify my response and illuminate my reasoning for you.

Stewart

Old 12-30-2011, 08:46 PM
radmacks
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Aww, I wasn't trying to bait ya. I just thought you were exaggerating a bit.

I gotta run out the door, but when I get back, I'll qualify my response and illuminate my reasoning for you.

Stewart
You are way over analyzing my comment. I in no way made direct or indirect reference to anyone ranting and stated generically without ranting off topic, is it possible I meant myself not ranting off about all the possible combinations of tunes and specifically just provide an opinion on which one is the better?

Old 12-31-2011, 08:37 AM
89broncoll
Senior User
I had a similar post. I have a 99 ext cab short bed, 4x4 running 35's. I had a sticky 4x4 hub, and fixed that, replaced my fuel filter, changed oil and filter, and a diy 6637 mod and went from 10-12 mpg to 14-16 mpg, you have mods listed already so yor good there. I just got a ts 6 position chip from php tune, and love it six settings, I don't know heat my Milage is because I've been running it for a few weeks now and haven't calculated it all. But make sure if you don't have GAUGES already GET THEM before you put a chip on that's very important to monitor everything. Try to keep the rpms below 2000. My settings n my chip are high idle, tow 80, economy 80, performance 100, and 140 extreme and no start. I've been running on 140 extreme and keep my foot out of it.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:50 AM
bennett11
New User
Originally Posted by 89broncoll
I had a similar post. I have a 99 ext cab short bed, 4x4 running 35's. I had a sticky 4x4 hub, and fixed that, replaced my fuel filter, changed oil and filter, and a diy 6637 mod and went from 10-12 mpg to 14-16 mpg, you have mods listed already so yor good there. I just got a ts 6 position chip from php tune, and love it six settings, I don't know heat my Milage is because I've been running it for a few weeks now and haven't calculated it all. But make sure if you don't have GAUGES already GET THEM before you put a chip on that's very important to monitor everything. Try to keep the rpms below 2000. My settings n my chip are high idle, tow 80, economy 80, performance 100, and 140 extreme and no start. I've been running on 140 extreme and keep my foot out of it.
Very useful information. I will look into this along with a DP programmer.
Excuse my ignorance.... And lazyness for not doing the research.... But what is the "diy 6637" mod?
Thanks

Old 12-31-2011, 09:35 AM
HRJoe
Junior User
On my F-250 2wd 6 spd, which was otherwise stock, I put the DP Tuner in with 60 and 80hp econo settings and gained 1-2mpg and it was a lot more fun to drive.

Quick Reply: Programmer best for fuel mileage