Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Returning P0276 code...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 PM
davidlea
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning P0276 code...

After clearing codes, the P2076 returns on both the Buzz test and the KOEO test. I had a P1316 (IDM code) but it hasn't returned-yet anyway. I just got through pulling the driver side valve cover and checking everything and all was good-no burnt pin, clip was tight. The harness and gasket are new, I did find two chaffed wires where the harness rubs against the valve cover and taped them.
No codes pulled during CC test, wondering if this is an IDM issue or perhaps a solenoid on #6 that is bad and sometimes kills the entire bank?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The p0276 is a low side short to ground. Here is a pic I saved that I found useful: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - tdpower's Album: Useful pics - Picture

I would suspect a wiring issue between the idm and injectors. How is the truck idling? You may need to check the wiring from the idm to injectors. I'll try to post a pdf in a bit for testing.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Forgot I posted in your other thread. Did you ever get a chance to test from idm to injectors.

Alan posted the pdf in your other thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ction-low.html

Old 12-28-2011, 08:37 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Here is some more info from the ford manual:

NA1 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCs) P0261, P0264, P0267, P0270, P0273, P0276, P0279, P0282
DTCs below indicate a low side ground short in the circuit between the IDM and the injector.
Disconnect injector valve cover connector at the suspect injector.
Measure resistance between suspect circuit of the engine harness connector and battery negative post.

Is resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes - GO to «NA2».
No - GO to «NA4».

NA2 CHECK SHORT IN CIRCUIT TO GROUND
Install Glow Plug Injector Adapter 014-00935 or equivalent to the valve cover gasket.
Measure resistance between suspect circuit and battery ground.

Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes - Fault may be intermittent, GO to «NA5».
No - GO to «NA3».

NA3 UNDER VALVE COVER SHORT
Remove valve cover and disconnect injector connector.
Inspect under valve cover (UVC) harness for shorting to ground.

Is fault indicated?
Yes - REPLACE UVC harness. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
No - REPLACE injector. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.

NA4 CHECK FOR SHORT BETWEEN INJECTOR VALVE COVER CONNECTOR AND IDM
Disconnect IDM harness connector.
Measure resistance between respective injector circuit and all other circuits in the IDM harness connector and to chassis ground.

Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes - REPLACE IDM. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
No - REPAIR short to ground between injector valve cover connector and IDM connector. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.

NA5 CHECK FOR INTERMITTENT SHORT TO GROUND
Key off.
Disconnect IDM. Inspect for damaged or pushed-out pins.
All other connectors plugged in.
Using a digital multimeter measure resistance between the suspect injector low side circuit on the IDM connector and battery ground post.
Grasp the harness close to the suspect injector connector. Wiggle and shake harness while working toward the IDM.

Does resistance ever drop below 10,000 ohms?
Yes - ISOLATE short to ground and REPAIR. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
No - IDM internal failure, REPLACE IDM. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:22 AM
davidlea
Junior User

Having found a couple of rubbed wires, and reading that any ground will cause "imediate and permenant damage to the IDM" and if I'm getting a code that still tells me I have a ground, is my IDM bad? If it is bad could it be giving me the short to ground code?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 AM
davidlea
Junior User

Originally Posted by tdpower
Forgot I posted in your other thread. Did you ever get a chance to test from idm to injectors.

Alan posted the pdf in your other thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ction-low.html
I am going to test today, I have a Greenlee multi tester-trying to figure out what OHM setting to use. Thank you for the great info, when it warms up, I'll pull the wheel well liner and get to work with the IDM. You would not believe the folder full of help that I've printed off from here! I may not get this fixed, but I've learned an awful lot about 7.3 diesels.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Originally Posted by davidlea
Having found a couple of rubbed wires, and reading that any ground will cause "imediate and permenant damage to the IDM" and if I'm getting a code that still tells me I have a ground, is my IDM bad? If it is bad could it be giving me the short to ground code?
Sounds like that is a good possibility. Try to work through the tests and see what you come up with. When you taped up the two damaged wires did you tape them individually? You want to make sure they are isolated from each other.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM
davidlea
Junior User

I just OHM'ed the IDM harness and all was good, within the were 3.0 with the left bank and right bank (tests 2 and 3) being open. I did isolate the wires before taping and I've pulled the IDM-no obvious problem, connectors looked good and had dielectric grease in the pins. No wter in IDM that I could tell, and the "baffle" seems to be correct-it has a membrane still in place.

So with the new UCVH (second one, still pulling code), am I looking at a new IDM or #6 injector solenoid?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Did you swap the injector solenoid for #6? If the ohm measurement from I to c checked out good I don't think that is the problem. You might want to take the cover off the idm and check for a burnt smell and fried components. It's sealed so you have to cut it in order to remove the cover.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:05 PM
davidlea
Junior User

I did not switch the solenoids-when you say from "I to c" what does that mean? I'm guessing IDM to ? If I do rmove the cover to the IDM, can I re-use it and if can I use it as my core? If I understand correctly, swapping solenoids probably won't help anything. Looks like new IDM time.......Would a bad IDM give the P0276 code even if there was no longer a short to ground?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I=injector to C=common. Having just recently gone through a very similar issue to you, and it not being the IDM as I originally thought, you should try swapping either solenoids or injector and see if the problem follows the injector. Here is my thread for reference, not the same code but similar issues that swapping injectors might help isolate the issue, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ing-badly.html

Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
I=injector to C=common. Having just recently gone through a very similar issue to you, and it not being the IDM as I originally thought, you should try swapping either solenoids or injector and see if the problem follows the injector. Here is my thread for reference, not the same code but similar issues that swapping injectors might help isolate the issue, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ing-badly.html

Good advice! Might be a good idea to swap the whole injector before getting an idm. They are pretty expensive to replace. Did you go through the Ford Manual checks I posted. Some were not that clear to me. I would have to check on my truck sometime.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:24 AM
davidlea
Junior User

I think I will try swapping at least the solenoid before I crack open this IDM, I guess the big question is-will a bad solenoid or injector cause the P0276 code?