Sponsored by: Moser

2012 F150 Paint Defect!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:58 AM
rpbf150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F150 Paint Defect!!!!!!!!!!

Pics are posted in my album ( Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - rpbf150's Album: Garage - AWSOME)

I received my dream truck on December 12th........
2012 F150 Super Crew in Red Candy
eco boost, max tow, HD payload, fully loaded!

(build date of November 28th) 10 days later (300 miles) after getting all my add ons completed I was washing the truck and stood on the running board to wipe the roof.....OH MY GOD!!!! Both roof seams were blistered the whole length of the roof. Over 60 - 120 blisters per side. The Passenger side was the worst! They looked like small to very large pimples that had popped. No paint left all the way down to raw materials below. Have contacted Ford dealer and Ford Customer Care......waiting for call back from them.

I put 3 pics in my album for you to look at (as i can not figure out how to place here) my local dealer (not who i bought from) said it should have never left the factory QC department! AND that the entrire roof will need to be stripped and repainted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did not spend 50k to have a truck that needs to be repainted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to do everything possible to get Ford or the Dealer to replace the tuck! Court if it comes to that!

Chevy guy for 38 years! 1st Ford ever. WAS very excited..........Will let you know how Ford treats me!

Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Champ198
Elder User
It looks like where the paint didn't adhere to the non-metal joint seal. Shouldn't be a big deal to repaint; however, it will need to be repainted. If it were me, I'd have them tape off those strips and repaint and clear coat those, not the entire roof.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Butl85
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like the beaded metal did not get cleaned in the corners properly before paint, like someone wiped it down but did not take the time to get in the nooks and crannies. I figure a machine does all the prep work for their paint so that is hard to imagine but it looks like it. Maybe it was sitting a while before it got painted and contaminants settled in the corners.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:11 AM
rpbf150
Senior User
Paint man at dealer told me that they would have to completely remove the seam material and replace with "calk" as obvious contaminate was in material.

One of the big problems is matching the paint......as a tri coat paint they are VERY hard to color match............according to several paint shops I have talked with.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Champ198
Elder User
To your point, that's why I'd want the "repair" to only impact the affected area, not cover the good, factory paint on the rest of the roof with the potential for more paint issues. I've seen local body shops take a simple warranty repair job on paint and add fisheyes, orange peel, and coat vehicles with overspray to fix an extremely simple issue.

The joint seal may need to be removed as it may have contaminents in it; however, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from another body shop. I cringe at thinking the entire roof would have to be repainted. My truck is white platinum met tri-coat, so I understand your pain.

I know you'll have to work within the confines of the dealer's warranty repairs, but I'd be concerned that the fix would be worse than the orginal problem.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:31 AM
rpbf150
Senior User
I agree........

That is why I really hope Ford and the Dealer step up and REPLACE the truck. they can "fix" it and sell to someone else!

I doubt that will happen but that is what I want to happen!

I really love the truck..........not getting the advertised MPG actually only 10.5 - 11.3 for highway and that is driving very "easy" on the pedal!

Old 12-28-2011, 09:48 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rpbf150
I agree........

That is why I really hope Ford and the Dealer step up and REPLACE the truck. they can "fix" it and sell to someone else!

I doubt that will happen but that is what I want to happen!

I really love the truck..........not getting the advertised MPG actually only 10.5 - 11.3 for highway and that is driving very "easy" on the pedal!
Sorry to hear about these issues.
You are getting 11mpg highway - no towing? That's terrible. Almost worse than the paint IMO.
Another question: It looks like you have the HD payload package, and need it. This configuration is probably hard to find. If you want it replaced, would you expect to wait another couple months for Ford to build a new one? Would you want to keep this one in the meantime?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 AM
rpbf150
Senior User
Yes HD is required. I have a brand new travel trailer............hence the new truck to pull it.........

it weighs 10,200 pounds dry with 2100 5th wheel weight.

Yeh.....will not be happy about the wait.......as I know there would not be a stock truck with the build I had!! but willing to wait.

Selling Dealer already offered a rental vehicle at their expense. SUV style and newer vintage, with creature comforts.........

whether they stick with that or not after Ford rep meets with me and the dealer......that is yet to be seen. I do not "need" the tow capacity until spring time now so loss of the truck is minimal but will be greatly missed!

Just got off the phone with Ford center..........they will be arranging a meeting with me, the "zone rep" and the dealer for sometime after Jan 2. The zone rep is on vacation until then.

Was told the "replacement" is handled as a case by case basis and I got the feeling they will want to just repair it.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 AM
rpbf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by flixden
Sorry to hear about these issues.
You are getting 11mpg highway - no towing? That's terrible. Almost worse than the paint IMO.
Another question: It looks like you have the HD payload package, and need it. This configuration is probably hard to find. If you want it replaced, would you expect to wait another couple months for Ford to build a new one? Would you want to keep this one in the meantime?

MPG ----- That is another reason for me wanting the truck replaced and not repaired..........??????maybe something wrong with the motor/computer??????

Old 12-28-2011, 12:56 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
To be honest with you, I believe that 5th wheel is a bit much for the F-150, even with HD payload. 2,100 lbs of dry pin weight could easily be north of 2,500 lbs loaded. And then you need to add anything inside the truck, including the driver, to come up with the needed payload. I bet you have under or around 2,200 lbs available with your 4x4 HD payload, so you'd be over the limit no matter what.
This trailer, IMO, requires a super duty for safe towing.

Yeah, 11MPG highway sounds low. At what speed?

Old 12-28-2011, 01:41 PM
rpbf150
Senior User
anywhere from 54 to 65 mph.

The camper fully loaded is only coming in at 2300# the payload on the truck is well within the range. pulled it once to see how it was and the truck did not even know it was pulling it......awsome stability! obviously only about 8 mpg towing but that is what i expected.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:08 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rpbf150
anywhere from 54 to 65 mph.

The camper fully loaded is only coming in at 2300# the payload on the truck is well within the range. pulled it once to see how it was and the truck did not even know it was pulling it......awsome stability! obviously only about 8 mpg towing but that is what i expected.
Yeah, that mileage sucks big time. I would not be very happy either.

I still think that you'll be over your GVWR with that trailer. What does the yellow sticker in you door jamb say? I bet it's under 2,200 lbs of payload. With a XLT and no options at all, the max would be 2,300 lbs, but yours is a Lariat, right? So with just the trailer alone, no extras, and nobody in the truck you'd be right at the limit. That means you'll be over the limit with a 2,300 lbs pin weight. Add the 5th wheel hitch itself and a driver, and you are at more than 2,600 lbs with nothing else at a minimum.
How much over you are comfortable with is up to you, but I seriously think that you are pushing the limits, especially since you just ordered the vehicle. A super duty would have been the better choice IMO for that trailer. Watch to not get into an accident - the other party could be looking at the weights (I would ... ).
Not trying to be the weight police here - just pointing out that you are pushing the trucks specs, maybe you can try switching to a SD into the deal? In the end, it's all up to you.
All that said - I am surprised at how little sag there is visible with a ~ 2,500 lbs load.

Please keep us updated what the regional rep says about the paint. I agree with you - with that bad mileage in addition to the paint, I'd try to get a different truck as well. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:49 PM
lazer 1946
New User
Sorry about your problem. Everytime I hear a story like this I am sceptical about ordering a truck. When they are already on the lot you can go over them with a magnifying glass and know what your getting, at least cosmetically.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:57 PM
rpbf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by flixden
Yeah, that mileage sucks big time. I would not be very happy either.

I still think that you'll be over your GVWR with that trailer. What does the yellow sticker in you door jamb say? I bet it's under 2,200 lbs of payload. With a XLT and no options at all, the max would be 2,300 lbs, but yours is a Lariat, right? So with just the trailer alone, no extras, and nobody in the truck you'd be right at the limit. That means you'll be over the limit with a 2,300 lbs pin weight. Add the 5th wheel hitch itself and a driver, and you are at more than 2,600 lbs with nothing else at a minimum.
How much over you are comfortable with is up to you, but I seriously think that you are pushing the limits, especially since you just ordered the vehicle. A super duty would have been the better choice IMO for that trailer. Watch to not get into an accident - the other party could be looking at the weights (I would ... ).
Not trying to be the weight police here - just pointing out that you are pushing the trucks specs, maybe you can try switching to a SD into the deal? In the end, it's all up to you.
All that said - I am surprised at how little sag there is visible with a ~ 2,500 lbs load.

Please keep us updated what the regional rep says about the paint. I agree with you - with that bad mileage in addition to the paint, I'd try to get a different truck as well. Good luck!
I am going to look into your comments a bit more.........according the the build specs ........I should have about 2350 payload capacity...............the sticker only has 1973# That is not what was told to me by the dealer!!

I know what you mean by the weight police and if in an accendent..........but I was expecitng the 2350 that was spec'd out.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:10 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
That sucks about the paint. I agree with the poster earlier though. IMO, I think you need a superduty on that trailer. that is pretty big. Plus, how is your pinch point. With the short box doesn't the trailer get in to the truck if you back it too tight? I guess if you are not overweight though then you can make it work. How many feet is that trailer by the way?

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 Paint Defect!!!!!!!!!!