Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2012 F150 Paint Defect!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 AM
rpbf150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no question on the trucks abiltiy!

Right now I have 3 issues that are a concern!

1) The paint defect.....I keep my vehicles for a long time........I do not want to find out in 6 years that the paint starts to fade or peel! BELIEVE ME...I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN MORE TIMES THAN I SHOULD HAVE!

2) MPG's......Why did I go with the F150 ecoboost????? With the HD payload and max tow....it would pull my 5er......(legally just marginal but still legal) and it would give me great mpg when not towing. (which is what the truck is going to be used for the most) Still only getting 10.5-11.5 mpg even on 20 mile runs....60-65mph fairly flat ground. best I ever got was 12.5 with a tail wind. (using lie o meter but checked it once and it is within .4 mpg of hand calc)

3) Payload..........again the HD payload was supposed to give me a 2310# payload........according to all literature and dealer...........NOBODY EVER TOLD ME THAT THE STICKER RATING OF THE TRUCK WOULD BE ANYTHING LESS THAN THAT NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!! So with a 5er hitch weight of 2000-2100# I knew I would be legal by pulling by my self.......now with only 1973# listed on door.......I am over weight before I even get in the truck........from a legal stand point in an accedent......."hello, is this Lee Free, I would like to file a claim for 1.5mill for pain and suffering".....

The truck pulls the camper just fine, I love the looks, but it is not what I paid for!!!

More than likely going to push the dealer into "trade in" to a f250 with the diesel motor......everyone seems to be only geting 10-12 mpg with the 6.2l gas........and about 18-21 wit the diesel....This way I know i have plenty of power and good MPG......eventually......will recoop my up front money....

Old 01-05-2012, 09:34 AM
rpbf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by flixden
Brandon, I don't know about that, rpfb150 will be about a thousand pounds over his GVWR. That is way too much in any case IMO, we are not talking about a couple hundred lbs here. This trailer is very deep into super duty territory, no matter how you look at it.
Also, considering what's upgraded for the HD payload package, I think there may be less margin than there is for a regular (non-HD) F150.

I agree that the paint will be fixed.
It is just sad that in terms of payload / tow ratings, you can't rely on any dealer or sales person. When I shopped, I visited four dealers before ordering. Every single one of them would have sold me an inappropriate truck for the job had I not done my homework beforehand. I had to find all of the specs myself, the dealers were of absolutely NO help, I ended up educating THEM. Really. I heard a few outright funny things, for example: "tounge or pin weight does not count towards payload / GVWR". The guy was also very convinced about that. Pretty sad for somebody selling a truck if you ask me.

I plan on playing on this heavily. FALSE ADVERTISING! As a consumer....you HAVE to trust the information given to you by the company selling the product......if the product is not what is advertised....then that is grounds for litigation!

Do i want to go down that path....NOOOOOOOOOO!
But at this point in my life and agrivation.....I do believe that I will!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
The fuel consumption you get is really bad, too. Darn, I hope that will not happen to me when my truck gets here. 11mpg flat hgwy driving? I'd not be happy either.

Darn, you got three problems at once - I would trade for an F-250 also. Make sure you know exactly what you want, and don't believe the sales person! Hope you get a good deal!

BTW, you would have been over the limit easily even with 2,300 lbs of payload. You said the real pin weight is 2,300 lbs, right? And the 5'er hitch itself will come in at 150 lbs at least. Now add a small driver .... the sum is over 2,600 lbs with nothing else. Don't tell that to the dealer though .... Or what am I missing when you say you would have been within the limits at 2,300 lbs of payload?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 AM
rpbf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by flixden
The fuel consumption you get is really bad, too. Darn, I hope that will not happen to me when my truck gets here. 11mpg flat hgwy driving? I'd not be happy either.

Darn, you got three problems at once - I would trade for an F-250 also. Make sure you know exactly what you want, and don't believe the sales person! Hope you get a good deal!

BTW, you would have been over the limit easily even with 2,300 lbs of payload. You said the real pin weight is 2,300 lbs, right? And the 5'er hitch itself will come in at 150 lbs at least. Now add a small driver .... the sum is over 2,600 lbs with nothing else. Don't tell that to the dealer though .... Or what am I missing when you say you would have been within the limits at 2,300 lbs of payload?
No, the pin weight is right around 2025# The hitch is just under 100# and I am 175#..........(2300#) close but still technically under weight...........BUT I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING AT!

Off to see the dealer now.........

Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rpbf150
No, the pin weight is right around 2025# The hitch is just under 100# and I am 175#..........(2300#) close but still technically under weight...........BUT I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING AT!

Off to see the dealer now.........
Ok, good luck!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:56 PM
rpbf150
Senior User
Well, well, well..........what a surprise......

1) Service manager took one look at truck and said WOW! then said he did not have to take any pics based on what he saw.....truck needs to be repaired........Really? i did not know that........!!!! duh!

2) MPG.....Dealer still stands by it takes 6-18000 miles for the onboard computer to lean out the mixture........computer is supposidly programed to run rich for a period of time.......however it seems like everyone has a different # of predetermined miles......based on what the service manager stated of everyone he knows who has one including himself........even went on to say that there seems to be multiple stages to the programming to lean out the mixture.... BUT HE CAN NOT TELL ME OR GIVE ME ANY FORD DATA SHOWING THIS! (seemed to be a nice guy though)

3) payload.
Dealer seems completly in the dark about the door sticker and the values on it.......the sales manager says that he was told by the ford zone rep that the HD (400#) needs to be added the door sticker.......if that is the case then it would be 2373# not the 2310 advertised........also.....then the current door sticker amount would be more than the non hd max number by about 1000#........can't have it both ways guys!!!

of course the owner was out to a doctors appointment so i could not speak with him on them taking back the truck for a 250.

The sales manager stated that the best thing to do to start with was to call the cust care number again and start a 2nd "cuddle" (that is what a "problem report is called") with ford and see what ford says about the advertised payload ratings and what the truck actually has. Did that as soon as i left the dealer......1/2 hour later got a call back from the cust care rep that was handling the 1st case and she said that ford will only repair the paint, and they denied any buyback on the payload issue. i informed her about false advertising and that all the build and spec info states 2310#.....she said and I quote
"you should have looked at the payload numbers before you signed the paper work, its your truck now, and ford will only stand behind its warranty!"

I was speachless!

I have decided to give the dealer 1 last try in the morning to make things right with me...then it is to a lawyer i go.......maybe lawyer 3rd.....I did find in the warranty booklet....a better buisness bureau phone number and that ford participates in arbitration through the better buisness bureau.......looked it up and it looks like cases are reviewed and if have merrit, you are able to meet with a 3rd party to plead your case....if they agree, and you accept thier solution...Ford has to accept it. they say it take at max about 40 days to complete the process....i think I will go this route first if the dealer owner will not work with me.

MAN HAVE I GOT A HEAD ACHE!!!
AT THIS POINT........VERY SORRY TO HAVE BOUGHT FORD TOUGH! Yeh, tough $#%@ if you have a problem and tough ^%$# if you believe our advertising....sucker!!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Well, well, well..........what a surprise......

1) Service manager took one look at truck and said WOW! then said he did not have to take any pics based on what he saw.....truck needs to be repaired........Really? i did not know that........!!!! duh!

2) MPG.....Dealer still stands by it takes 6-18000 miles for the onboard computer to lean out the mixture........computer is supposidly programed to run rich for a period of time.......however it seems like everyone has a different # of predetermined miles......based on what the service manager stated of everyone he knows who has one including himself........even went on to say that there seems to be multiple stages to the programming to lean out the mixture.... BUT HE CAN NOT TELL ME OR GIVE ME ANY FORD DATA SHOWING THIS! (seemed to be a nice guy though)

3) payload.
Dealer seems completly in the dark about the door sticker and the values on it.......the sales manager says that he was told by the ford zone rep that the HD (400#) needs to be added the door sticker.......if that is the case then it would be 2373# not the 2310 advertised........also.....then the current door sticker amount would be more than the non hd max number by about 1000#........can't have it both ways guys!!!

of course the owner was out to a doctors appointment so i could not speak with him on them taking back the truck for a 250.

The sales manager stated that the best thing to do to start with was to call the cust care number again and start a 2nd "cuddle" (that is what a "problem report is called") with ford and see what ford says about the advertised payload ratings and what the truck actually has. Did that as soon as i left the dealer......1/2 hour later got a call back from the cust care rep that was handling the 1st case and she said that ford will only repair the paint, and they denied any buyback on the payload issue. i informed her about false advertising and that all the build and spec info states 2310#.....she said and I quote
"you should have looked at the payload numbers before you signed the paper work, its your truck now, and ford will only stand behind its warranty!"

I was speachless!

I have decided to give the dealer 1 last try in the morning to make things right with me...then it is to a lawyer i go.......maybe lawyer 3rd.....I did find in the warranty booklet....a better buisness bureau phone number and that ford participates in arbitration through the better buisness bureau.......looked it up and it looks like cases are reviewed and if have merrit, you are able to meet with a 3rd party to plead your case....if they agree, and you accept thier solution...Ford has to accept it. they say it take at max about 40 days to complete the process....i think I will go this route first if the dealer owner will not work with me.

MAN HAVE I GOT A HEAD ACHE!!!
AT THIS POINT........VERY SORRY TO HAVE BOUGHT FORD TOUGH! Yeh, tough $#%@ if you have a problem and tough ^%$# if you believe our advertising....sucker!!!!
I would suggest that you head right over to your closest GM dealer and trade this bad boy right in. A Chevy dealer will have this puppy resold before the ink on the contract dries. You can apologize to GM for your brief hiatus and resume your long standing relationship with them. Clearly Ford will have to work double time to earn your trust. I think this is simply a bad marriage.

My dad was a Chevy guy, he owned a couple of Fords and wasn't happy with either of them. Nothing wrong with that.

Ford Zone reps don't meet with customers at customer's request, only at their convenience. They tend to be pretty busy people representing Ford dealers from numerous states which = thousands of customers.

Yes you jumped ship after 38 years, clearly GM must have done something for you to make such a harsh decision. I'm sure that Ford appreciates your business as much as they appreciate mine and I'm a Ford loyalist since the late 70's owning both new and used. But in the end, we'll both receive the same level of service assuming that we used the same dealer.

Ford is not perfect. Ford has rolled out a bunch of new engines, transmissions and vehicle technology in a short time and that is only to remain ultra competitive in a tough and unforgiving market.

In the next couple of years, GM and Chrysler will follow Ford's lead and they too will have growing pains.

I hope you settle your issues amicably and enjoy happy motoring where ever you end up.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:10 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
.......the sales manager says that he was told by the ford zone rep that the HD (400#) needs to be added the door sticker.......
This is some of the funniest stuff I've heard in a long time. Really really sad that this crap comes from a sales manager. Did you ask him if he was joking? I am surprised he did not pull a calculator and then told you that he heard that 337 lbs need to be added to the HD payload sticker, bringing your payload to exactly 2,310 #, LOL.

Good that they will fix the paint, I was sure they would.
I am not sure how much success you will have suing for false advertising. Ford does state everywhere that it's "max. payload". All manufacturer state it that way, I think. Of course, your dealer is talking a bunch of BS, that much is for sure.

I think Tim is right, maybe trading the truck in at this point (after the paint issue is resolved) is your best option.

Sorry to hear about all your trouble. Keep us updated, and good luck!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
just dont go to a dodge, thats where th ereal fun begins.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:11 AM
jimcam48
Freshman User
Subscribed, Ordering in March??

Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 AM
rpbf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimcam48
Subscribed, Ordering in March??

THAT IS THE TYPE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE TO EXPECT!

This is another good one that **&^ said to me about my paint...

I stated that I was concerned that I paid 50K for a new truck only to have the roof repainted....what happens in 5-9 years when the paint job starts to fade and peal?

her response:

"We don't care about what happens in 5-9 years.....we are going to fix the paint under warranty now"

STAY AWAY!!! Still waiting for dealer owner to call.....

Old 01-06-2012, 12:37 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THAT IS THE TYPE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE TO EXPECT!

This is another good one that **&^ said to me about my paint...

I stated that I was concerned that I paid 50K for a new truck only to have the roof repainted....what happens in 5-9 years when the paint job starts to fade and peal?

her response:

"We don't care about what happens in 5-9 years.....we are going to fix the paint under warranty now"

STAY AWAY!!! Still waiting for dealer owner to call.....
NO ONE will guarantee a paint job for 5-9 years out. That is just stupid. They have no way of knowing what you do to your truck, whether you wax it or ever wash it. It was your job as a consumer to check the payload before you bought it. Salesmen are not employees of FoMoCo and hardly know their head from their behind. I take their word with a grain of salt.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:48 PM
rpbf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by TheWhiteBeast
NO ONE will guarantee a paint job for 5-9 years out. That is just stupid. They have no way of knowing what you do to your truck, whether you wax it or ever wash it. It was your job as a consumer to check the payload before you bought it. Salesmen are not employees of FoMoCo and hardly know their head from their behind. I take their word with a grain of salt.
Listen here..
Paint....that is exactly why they should replace the truck as it was right off the production line.....if I wanted some cheap pc of crap, I would have bought used.....I bought new for a reason!

Payload........dont you dare state I did not check.....I spent months with the dealer and online and with ford. Every pc of information lists that truck at 2310# and NO ONE ever said that you have to subtract off the entire interior of the cab from the advertised max payload! NOW THAT'S ABSURD!

bottom line....I paid for a new truck! I got a repainted truck. New= paint lasts a long time
Repainted= 5-8 years and problems!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Cory281
Senior User
If the paint is done right it will last just as long.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:10 PM
rpbf150
Senior User
it should, yes...........but will it? I have seen way to many fail.

Again, it would be different if i had 2-5k miles on or 2 years and you started to get some form of defect.....this was right from factory! Fine fix it.......give me a big discount then for having to have a repainted "new" vehicle.

(sorry for the bad tones.......im just really pissed off right now)

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 Paint Defect!!!!!!!!!!