1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

2003 F150 King Ranch value help!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Pirk685
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 F150 King Ranch value help!

Ok guys, I managed to find myself here while I am doing extensive research to determine what I can expect from a truck I'm looking at purchasing. here is a link to the ad:

Cars for Sale: 2003 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCrew King Ranch in Cleburne, TX 76031: Truck Details - 312165583 - AutoTrader.com

It shows that the engine has over 200k miled on it. Here is the text conversation I've had so far with the owner:

Me - What is your lowest acceptable offer on your truck? I am looking for a truck to haul a couple horses and yours is on the high end of my budget.

Owner - $10,000 It's a great truck

Me - Have you ever hauled with it?

Owner - Yes, an 18' ski boat and various small trailers

Me - How do you get around the 200k miles hurdle? I'm sure that's been a cause for concern for many

Owner - Yea, people ask about that. It was a construction site superintendants truck before I got it so he put a lot of highway miles on then I used it to travel all over Texas and Oklahoma visiting sales lots. So it has a lot of miles but not like hard worked miles. I've taken care of it and done regular maintenance, use AMS oil in it

Me - what was the last repair service you had done?

Owner - Replaced the front passenger bearings in the wheel hub and the CV joints in the front

END

So heres my problem. I am extremely mechanically disinclined so I don't have the first clue what to look for in trying to figure out if this thing is going to crap out on me as I drive it home. Honestly, the 200k miles scares me, maybe more than it should. He states in the ad that he just had the transmission rebuilt recenlty but I don't know what the heck that even means! lol So, if any of y'all have experience with these king ranches maybe you could take a look at all the information and help guide me into a more informed buying decision. Thankyou in advance for absolutely any time you may spend on my situation!

p.s. from looking around these forums this seems like a place full of lots of really nice, helpful people and I'll probably stick around even though I don't own a truck... yet! lol.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 AM
txbest1980
Junior User
i cant give you as much info as some of these other guys because i am still somewhat new to ford's (been a Caddy guy for years) but i have an 03 King Ranch just like this with way less miles. i actually love the truck inside and out, and the only thing that bothers me is the factory paint on mine has cracks in it. from what i am told from a buddy of mine who owns a body shop is that ford went real cheap on their base primer and this is what was caused. as for the truck in the ad, it looks nice but i like you dont know if i would jump into anything with 220k miles regardless what it was used for.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:39 AM
00GT
Elder User
Thats a pretty sharp truck regardless of the miles. I would say buy it if it runs and drives good. Check for oil leaks, does the trans shift smooth, 4wd work smooth, I assume no rust being in texas. That truck would bring $10k here in MI. as long as it was clean.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

I'm sorry, but with 200k+ miles...that's not a $10k+ truck. Definitely not in TX or anywhere else in the south where clean trucks should be a dime a dozen. In the rust belt...sure...but not in the south.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 AM
00GT
Elder User
Just over a year ago I bought a mint 03 FX4 Supercrew with 87k on it for 11k I drove to FL. To get it. Rusted out screws are going for 10+here I would have to say the king ranch has got to be worth a little more....

Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by 00GT
Just over a year ago I bought a mint 03 FX4 Supercrew with 87k on it for 11k I drove to FL. To get it. Rusted out screws are going for 10+here I would have to say the king ranch has got to be worth a little more....
Location, location, location. You had to leave the area to get a clean vehicle. He lives in Texas. A nine year old 200k+ mile F-150 is not worth $10k in the south.

Besides...at $10k or so...you're at the high end of the 1997-2003 F-150's. I don't know why you'd pay a premium on a 200k+ mile truck.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:43 AM
00GT
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer
Location, location, location. You had to leave the area to get a clean vehicle. He lives in Texas. A nine year old 200k+ mile F-150 is not worth $10k in the south.

Besides...at $10k or so...you're at the high end of the 1997-2003 F-150's. I don't know why you'd pay a premium on a 200k+ mile truck.
You must not be a loyal Ford owner. High mile Ford trucks never bother me as long as they have been taken care of. Have you looked on ebay at trucks in the south? Very pricey. Its all matter of opinion and cash you have to spend.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by 00GT
You must not be a loyal Ford owner. High mile Ford trucks never bother me as long as they have been taken care of. Have you looked on ebay at trucks in the south? Very pricey. Its all matter of opinion and cash you have to spend.
No, I'm not...but that's irrelevant to the discussion at hand. You don't pay over Kbb, edmunds, NADA, etc. for a 200k+ mile truck (at least I wouldn't). That's a vehicle that's ripe to haggle and get the price down. Anyone that's selling a truck with high mileage (unless it's a diesel) is going to be prepared for that. What they aren't expecting is a "I'm a Ford truck guy" to come along and just pay the asking price.

You can't judge true market value by looking at ebay.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:11 PM
00GT
Elder User
Sometimes kbb is meaning less. Ive sold highmile trucks before and ive also had people walk because of mileage. To buy a high mileage Ford or any make for that matter you have to be familiar with what your looking at or you will get the reaction your giving.
Have a looksee at this
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=06001363505

Old 12-28-2011, 01:32 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't let the miles scare you, I have 250K. Also had a hub bearing failure after 200K but still no CV, ball joint or tie rod problems. I am little surprised the tranny only made it 200K miles but I guess that means you have another 200K to go on this new one.

If I had a problem with mine right now I wouldn't be afraid of this truck as a replacement. Price might be a tad high for this area.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:16 PM
fordiesel69
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The 4.6L/5.4L with proper maint, is a 300k mile engine all day long. However after 300k there is just too much to fail.

With 220k the owner will not sell it fast, so you have some time. I'd say 7k at the highest for the miles.

Engine aside, axle, tranny, the other suspension part he did not replace will all need major service real soon. Expect to be spending 1500 at least in the next year for wear parts.

I own an 04' and can say with 183k it just feels really well. But there will be issues creeping up on me soon just for the fact of the higher miles. After all, they did replace both side CV shafts at one point, the alternator, rotors mant times, etc, so.........just an example for you.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 PM
txbest1980
Junior User
i can agree with some of these guys stating that the high mileage truck can still perform like it was damn near new. but for those guys saying that and having hundreds of thousands of miles on the truck, did you guys own it from new? there is a difference between used trucks and new trucks, and if you own it from new you know what it has been through. buying used can be sketchy and we all know that...OP good luck with your truck search whether you get this King Ranch or not

Old 12-28-2011, 07:58 PM
degu2000
Junior User
I would probably pay 8-9k for that, assuming everything on it works like it is supposed to. Someone else already said this, but I find it odd that the transmission went bad at 200k, but I guess what do you care since you would be getting the new one. These engines if taken care of will easily go another 100k or so as well.

I am not sure where you live at, but a truck like that with no rust on it is worth about 30% more than an exact same truck that has average rusting. I say if you can beat him down below 9k, go for it. You might want to inquire about how much towing was done as well, as I noticed he has the hitch on when the photos were taken.. Might have something to do with the transmission failing.

Keep in mind that sellers will almost always allow you to have it inspected by a 3rd party, which may be the route you want to take if you do not know a lot about vehicles. Spending some money for someone to do a thorough look over would be worth it IMO.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"Mechanically Disinclined"...I would pass on a high milage truck!!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by Eatonpcat
"Mechanically Disinclined"...I would pass on a high milage truck!!
Yup. Keep in mind that many people that say "high mileage is ok" likely do their own maintenance. Forums like this cater to the DIY'ers. While I used to enjoy working on my vehicles, I just don't have the time for it anymore.

That being said...I'd like to get something in the 100-130k mile range that's been properly maintained. Why that amount of miles? Once a vehicle hits 100k miles...it's worth less (feel free to debate that one). Provided that it's been maintained, it's good for another 100k+ miles. For someone like me that only drives 10k miles a year...that's 10 years or so left in it. It's also going to be easier to sell a 150-170k mile truck than a 200-230k mile truck, if I decide to upgrade in a few years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 F150 King Ranch value help!