Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pet Thread-----Safety, Transport, Ideas, Tips and Stories.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:58 AM
LWW
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I don't give my dog pig ears anymore. Made her breath STINK like nobody's business!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 AM
809taino
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LWW
Man I don't give my dog pig ears anymore. Made her breath STINK like nobody's business!
Mine chewed on it for a few seconds and never looked at it again. He like those bacon treats. They work good when training at the park.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by 809taino
Mine chewed on it for a few seconds and never looked at it again. He like those bacon treats. They work good when training at the park.
Try these from Pet Smart, they work great, low calories, and they love them.

Pet Botanics® Mini Training Rewards for Dogs - Dog - Sale - PetSmart

Old 01-03-2012, 10:21 AM
809taino
Elder User
Originally Posted by sddesigns
Try these from Pet Smart, they work great, low calories, and they love them.

Pet Botanics® Mini Training Rewards for Dogs - Dog - Sale - PetSmart
yummm, those look good....... Im sure he'd like those. He's really picky and ignores dry biscuits and any dry treat. Those look meaty and moist. Ill give those a try..

Old 01-03-2012, 10:24 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

yummm, those look good....... Im sure he'd like those. He's really picky and ignores dry biscuits and any dry treat. Those look meaty and moist. Ill give those a try..
Bronx loves them and doesn't affect her breath at all, I always keep a ziplock bag of them in my pocket, she is still a work in progress....lol

Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM
809taino
Elder User
Bronx loves them and doesn't affect her breath at all, I always keep a ziplock bag of them in my pocket, she is still a work in progress....lol
I grew up in the Bronx, on 2700 Marrion av near fordham rd. I went to Theodore Roosevelt High School I used to catch the 4 train to the D to go to Manhattan to hang out. Those were my golden years... Wow memories.. My wife and I planned our 2012 vacation to the Florida Keys(again) in June an NY in December for the kids first snow and to visit family and old friends. I was there last year but my wife and kids have never left Florida so their in for a serious treat.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

I grew up in the Bronx, on 2700 Marrion av near fordham rd. I went to Theodore Roosevelt High School I used to catch the 4 train to the D to go to Manhattan to hang out. Those were my golden years... Wow memories.. My wife and I planned our 2012 vacation to the Florida Keys(again) in June an NY in December for the kids first snow and to visit family and old friends. I was there last year but my wife and kids have never left Florida so their in for a serious treat.
We rescued Bronx from a place called Social Tees in Manhattan on September 10, 2011, she was found on Webb Avenue at the south end of the Fort Independence Park/Reservoir , so we named her Bronx!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM
809taino
Elder User
We rescued Bronx from a place called Social Tees in Manhattan on September 10, 2011, she was found on Webb Avenue at the south end of the Fort Independence Park/Reservoir , so we named her Bronx!
Good choice... Got pics?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Good choice... Got pics?
Here she is the day we picked her up with my youngest!

Puppy class Level II training graduation day!

and here she is just being Bronx!

Old 01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Gene Horr
Senior User
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
A combination really, of bad press and bad owners. The owners for not properly socializing the dogs and training them correctly...
I work with a LOT of dogs of varying breeds. This has not been my observation. Pits/Pit mixes can be tamed. But sometimes even when raised properly there are a material percentage that will just snap one day and attack a family member.

We have one case right now. An owner has two dogs from one litter and had three dogs from an unrelated litter. All were raised by the family since birth. The two are incredibly gentle and kind animals. The female in particular has never even barked at anyone in her life.

Of the other three we've already had to put down two of them due to attacks and the third one is about to go as it has attacked two people in the bast month. The attacks were on a family member and a close friend who is in the house often. They were completely unprovoked (I personally witnessed one of them).

I contrast this breed with Dobermen. I grew up hating Dobies as all the ones I had ever met were very agressive. Since then I've learned that the breed can be easily trained to be agressive but as long as they are raised properly wind up very gentle and kind animals. But despite the agressive potential I've never seen one just snap one day and attack a known person. Pits do. No, not all. And there are other breeds that have a similar defect that pops up. But while not universal it is common enough that combined with the size and power of pits do make them a more dangerous breed on average.

From what I've seen it is not a learned behaviour. They are born that way.

Now a "breed" that I think is currently starting to get a falsely bad reputation are the wolf hybrids. The ones that I've seen so far are so darn timid that they won't even approach someone unless they are very comfortable with them. If you enter their yard they tend to try and go and hide somewhere.* Yet they are being banned in nearby communities despite no cases of attacks.

* One caveat: My observations have all been with individuals and in one case a "pack" of three siblings. Dogs can dramatically change their behaviour when in packs versus alone and often become very agressive and it would not surprise me if the wolf dogs did likewise.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:59 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
Yeah I hate to say that my wife also knows someone who had a totally tame, gentle, sweet pit bull girl and one day it just attacked her to the tune of $200k of medical bills. She had no insurance at the time so that one incident ruined her financially, the dog tore one of her arms almost completely off (110 lb woman) and maimed the other arm too.

Now don't get me wrong, I know ANY dog can bite but certain breeds are characteristically more likely to be violent and that's just how they are. This is why I will ALWAYS buy purebred dogs and only purebred dogs where I can go and see the parents and the breeder's setup. I would like to have a pit one day but I'm not sure I would with a toddler who has been known to jump on our big guys no matter how many times she gets yelled at or punished. I don't think she is old enough yet to understand exactly why what she is doing is wrong and the worst thing these huge dogs have ever done is a surprised growl and then get up and walk off. I would be very afraid of what a Pit or Rottie or even a Shepherd would do if it got powerbombed by a 30lb toddler while fast asleep... I know as a Parent it is my job to not let that happen but anyone with kids knows that you can't watch them 100% all the time and things happen...

Old 01-03-2012, 02:17 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

I have had Dobermans, German Shepard's, and Pits for over 30 years and have been involved with Emergency Services since HS, working in the ER and having a Saint Bernard brought in (Bagged and Tagged) with a nine year old that got mauled from a completely unprovoked attack witnessed by the father.

Great Danes, Akitas, Chows, Huskies, Rottweilers, and Malamutes have been known to have a record of unprovoked attacks, even a Pomeranian mauled and killed a 6 week old infant in the base statistics.

Quoted from "The Breeds Most Likely To Kill You!"

"Any dog, treated harshly or trained to attack, may bite a person. Any dog can be turned into a dangerous dog. The owner or handler most often is responsible for making a dog into something dangerous.

An irresponsible owner or dog handler might create a situation that places another person in danger by a dog, without the dog itself being dangerous, as in the case of the Pomeranian that killed the infant (see above).

Any individual dog may be a good, loving pet, even though its breed is considered to be potentially dangerous. A responsible owner can win the love and respect of a dog, no matter its breed. One cannot look at an individual dog, recognize its breed, and then state whether or not it is going to attack. "

Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 PM
809taino
Elder User
It isn't the breed alone, but the human behind the dog that determine behavior" Cesar Millan..

I am also part of a pitbull forum and i been getting so much heat because of this. Check out the thread.. Theres a lady on thee that just won't let me go about it. I feel it's the owneres responsability to structure and balance the dog. She feels they need to be kept supressed from other dogs because of their past. It's about 5 pages long already....

Old 01-04-2012, 06:15 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

It isn't the breed alone, but the human behind the dog that determine behavior" Cesar Millan..

I am also part of a pitbull forum and i been getting so much heat because of this. Check out the thread.. Theres a lady on thee that just won't let me go about it. I feel it's the owneres responsability to structure and balance the dog. She feels they need to be kept supressed from other dogs because of their past. It's about 5 pages long already....
I watched the Dog Whisperer marathon over the New Years weekend on Nat Geo Wild, his new episode is on this Saturday night at 8pm.

I love his dog Junior!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 PM
809taino
Elder User
I watched the Dog Whisperer marathon over the New Years weekend on Nat Geo Wild, his new episode is on this Saturday night at 8pm.

I love his dog Junior!
Cesar Millan Puppy Profiles: Junior - YouTube