6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Several DTC's, not sure where to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 12:43 PM
qwertmonkey
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Several DTC's, not sure where to start

Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker but haven't posted much. I'm young so still in the learning process. My truck's been running a little rough lately so I decided to check for thrown codes. No CEL though.

Symptoms include battery drain, (Batteries die every 3-4 days; I have to hook it up to a trickle charger. Cranks strong for a couple days but by the end of the week they need charging again. Batteries were replaced less than 6 months ago.), rough cold start, coughs a little and gives me a little trouble, but smooths out quickly. Also, it could be my imagination, but a couple times I've notices a hesitation that resembles a gasser that needs new plugs. Feels like a couple cylinders just quit for a few fractions of a second, but again it could be my imagination.

Below is a list of all 7 codes, but I put a note by the one's that I know the cause. As for the others, I would appreciate any input as I would like to keep my truck in top shape. If it's relevant, the truck's only engine mods are a turbo back 4'' straight pipe, and an SCT Livewire on the performance tune. Thank you again for your help! PS. I forgot to mention, truck gets oil changed with Rotella 5w40 synthetic every 5k miles and both fuel filters get changed every other oil change. Fuel is from a top tier station that has high volume so It's safe to assume the truck gets good fuel. I also use Diesel Kleen power service. I double the strength, grey bottle in summer, white in winter. Not sure if that info is relevant or not, but I didn't want to leave anything out.

Thanks again,
William

P0272 INJ Cylinder #4 contribution/balance Power cylinder, valve train or injector

P0341 CMP Camshaft position sensor A circuit range/performance (bank 1 or signal sensor) Camshaft sensor circuit

P0403 EGR Exhaust gas recirculation control circuit Open circuit, short to ground, short to voltage, faulty valve, faulty PCM I have EGR valve unplugged

P0405 EGR Exhaust gas recirculation sensor A circuit low Voltage below a specified range I have EGR valve unplugged

P0611 FICM Fuel injector control module performance Internal FICM failure

P0676 GPCM Cylinder 6 glow plug circuit Circuit open, short to ground, short to voltage, faulty glow plug I assume this just means its time for new glow plugs.

P0678 GPCM Cylinder 8 glow plug circuit Circuit open, short to ground, short to voltage, faulty glow plug Same as above

Old 12-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check system voltage while running. Verify your alternator is 13.8 volts or a tad higher. It sounds like you may need to reflow the solder in your FICM (Check the tech folder). If not load test those battery's and swap em via warrenty. Your rough running could be a bad #4 injector. Or it could be a side effect of your truck struggling for voltage.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:12 PM
qwertmonkey
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Unrealo4
Check system voltage while running. Verify your alternator is 13.8 volts or a tad higher. It sounds like you may need to reflow the solder in your FICM (Check the tech folder). If not load test those battery's and swap em via warrenty. Your rough running could be a bad #4 injector. Or it could be a side effect of your truck struggling for voltage.

Will the alternator test that auto part stores do give me the reading I need? I don't believe I have a voltimeter and was planning on having the free test done at Autozone.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:18 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
you can buy a cheap voltmeter to check batterys alternator and FICM

now a scangauge would make checking things more easy

I think if it were me Id get he battery dran figured out that might be causing sme of the other codes you have

I also see you have a smoke switch whats involed with that maybe its causing issues