1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA-SMOG question again

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down CA-SMOG question again

Here we go again, I know this has been discussed but.... Here it is.
I got CA DMV renewal notice for my truck and this time it says SMOG required. I moved from VA to CA and I always thought out of state vehicles (especially Diesels) were exempt. Back on VA, I noticed that my exhaust was pretty well rusted and I had changed by exhaust to 5 inch system from EBay. My question is, since it’s only visual inspection how will my truck will pass this test? I do not believe there is any marking/label on the new exhaust. The guy at the Smog station will never know what products are out there (at least not all of them).
Anyone been through this situation before? Let me know your take on this.
Here is link of what they look for Diesel SMOG: http://dieselsmogcheck.com/

Old 12-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I remember from times when I smogged gasoline cars (long time ago) CARB doesn't care about rusty exhaust. I had a friend working for smog station and he said, that sometimes he had to make new, clean hole in the muffler, because the probe inserted in the tailpipe was getting too much fresh air.
The visual inspection on diesels is a big joke.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:57 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
In CA vehicles must be SMOGed every two years. Also, for other reasons, such as a sale, or in your case, registering a non-native vehicle.

You will be fine. The things they will look for are CEL, Visual inspection for modifications that do not meed CARB (of which exhaust is not one; you're fine..) and a smoke check. They will put the hammer down and check for excessive smoke. 10 min process.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Sebs
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Vijay
I always thought out of state vehicles (especially Diesels) were exempt.
If only that were true we would all buy out of state vehicles!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Sebs
If only that were true we would all buy out of state vehicles!
I actually do. Last diesel car sold new in California was in 1986. To get a diesel I always have to import from other state.
Even VW gasoline pickup I did own in the past was originally from different state. I had to smog it, but per federal, not California requirements.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:13 AM
AuRevoir
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to smog my 05 PSD this year. Cost $35 bucks for less than 10 mins of the techs time, didn't even have time to look over a AutoTrader newspaper. My buddy had his 09 smogged in our hometown, got soaked for $62.00. They seem to do just a visual to check if any mods were done.

Marty

Old 12-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
In CA vehicles must be SMOGed every two years. Also, for other reasons, such as a sale, or in your case, registering a non-native vehicle.

You will be fine. The things they will look for are CEL, Visual inspection for modifications that do not meed CARB (of which exhaust is not one; you're fine..) and a smoke check. They will put the hammer down and check for excessive smoke. 10 min process.
I did swing by a test center this morning, the tech guy said my exhaust is fine but since I have an AFE intake, it will fail. He asked me to get an EO number for the AFE intake and come back for testing... I have called and left a VM for AFE.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

I did swing by a test center this morning, the guy said my exhaust is fine but since I have an AFE intake, it will fail. He asked me to get an EO number for the AFE intake and come back for testing... I have called and left a VM for AFE.
That guy was an idiot. I will look for the document you need to get the intake to pass inspection and post it for you.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Here it is. As I suspected, SpringerPop had it.
http://springerpop.net/F350/PDFs/APP...%2012-2009.pdf

On the last page:

"Air Cleaners: NO Verification of CARB EO Required During Inspection*
* CARB may require an EO number for these parts but inspection and verification of an EO is not required during a Smog Check inspection"

I also got some AFE CARB EO numbers for you:

aFe Power Magnum FORCE Intake System; Stage 1 Pro 5R
CARB EO Number: D-550-4

aFe Power Magnum FORCE Intake System; Stage 2 Pro 5R
CARB E.O Number D-550-1

AFE Stage 2
CARB EO Number: *NONE AVAILABLE*

AFE will send you CARB EO stickers if you call them.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Here it is. As I suspected, SpringerPop had it.
http://springerpop.net/F350/PDFs/APP...%2012-2009.pdf

On the last page:

"Air Cleaners: NO Verification of CARB EO Required During Inspection*
* CARB may require an EO number for these parts but inspection and verification of an EO is not required during a Smog Check inspection"

Awesome...you rock.
One last question, do I need to put the SuperChip module in stock mode? Currently it's running High/perf mode. It does not smoke whatsoever at high rev.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Awesome...you rock.
One last question, do I need to put the SuperChip module in stock mode? Currently it's running High/perf mode. It does not smoke whatsoever at high rev.
It would be safest to put it in stock mode.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 PM
bens170
Junior User
ViJay,
My Ford F350, SD, CC, XLT, 4x4, 6.0L PSD, 5 spd automatic, dually, had to be smogged after CA state legislature and the CARB (CA Air Resources Board) worked on the requirement that all diesels under 14,000 lbs between I believe 1999 and the present have to be smogged. I am running an AFE Stage Two Cold Air Induction System, I have the OE sticker from AFE. The truck was purchased used from a Ford dealer in Palm Springs, CA in April 2009. Ford refunded the money for the plates that were due in July 2009, because of the CA state legislature increased the license plate fees. In January 2010, the State legislature and CARB passed into law that all diesels under 14,000 lbs had to be smogged. Which entailed a visual inspection, if an aftermarket part is installed I hope that you have the OE sticker for that part. If not the aftermarket part has to come off. Either the original Ford parts back in place or an aftermarket product with the OE sticker is installed. After the visual, they hook up the computer to your OBD II plug and check for any discrepancies. If no discrepancies found then they do the snap test which consists of running the engine at idle to start with, then raise it to 2,000 rpm then snap the throttle to 3,000 rpm any black smoke coming out of the exhaust you failed. AFE is very good about sending the OE decal as soon as you call them you should have it within a couple of days.
Ben

Old 12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by bens170
Which entailed a visual inspection, if an aftermarket part is installed I hope that you have the OE sticker for that part. If not the aftermarket part has to come off.Ben
Wrong. Look at the document I posted above. Print that and take it with you. If they give you trouble about an air intake, point them to the page that says "NOT Necessary to check for CARB EO Number" then below that, "Diesel- Changes to air cleaner assemblies."

After the visual, they hook up the computer to your OBD II plug and check for any discrepancies.
Wrong. They just check for codes, pending and active.

If no discrepancies found then they do the snap test which consists of running the engine at idle to start with, then raise it to 2,000 rpm then snap the throttle to 3,000 rpm any black smoke coming out of the exhaust you failed. AFE is very good about sending the OE decal as soon as you call them you should have it within a couple of days.
Correct.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:48 PM
bens170
Junior User
To A/Ox4 and members of FTE SoCal Chapter,
Sorry if I apologize for the wrong information, it has been a year since my Ford was smogged. I do remember that the smog is conducted on the last 4 numbers of the VIN even every even year, odd numbers every odd year. My last two numbers are 48 it was smogged 2010 and will be smogged again 2012. Just to give everyone an idea. Have a Happy and Safe New Year.
Ben

Old 12-27-2011, 02:52 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

No worries. CA smog is very confusing. I've just spent a lot of time researching it.

Quick Reply: CA-SMOG question again