Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Idle RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Crazy2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle RPM's

94 turbo what should idle be at in park after warm up mine is at about 900 to 950 rpm's when cold after warm up its about 650 to 700 and when put in drive it goes to about 300 to 400 does this sound right i also notices some on first start hit i for get set cold idle i notices idle is some time at 500 and when put in drive goes down to about 200 to 250 but once drive it and bring up over 1000 rpm's it back at 650 to 700 and i don't have no shift light flashing

thanks for any info
Bruce

Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
something is definatley wrong.

your cold idle sounds right on, the idle rpm while in park also is good. when you put it in drive it should not drop down nearly that much. i would think something is wrong with the IP.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
Or the tranny has issues......maybe address those first and see what the idle speed does then.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Crazy2
Junior User
Originally Posted by '94IDITurbo7.3
something is definatley wrong.

your cold idle sounds right on, the idle rpm while in park also is good. when you put it in drive it should not drop down nearly that much. i would think something is wrong with the IP.
ok sorry new to idi what should i be checking the IP it self or something that bolted to the IP

Originally Posted by greywynd
Or the tranny has issues......maybe address those first and see what the idle speed does then.
I know nothing and these trans. I'll thought when trans has problem the off light will flash. don't have any problems with it shifting and also the motor idle nice and smooth and step on the fuel it get up and goes

So little more info how check thing would be nice

Oh when did get truck tach wasn't working but found bad wires that was tape to getter next right side battery fix all them wires and tach started to work

Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
from what i have learned these injection pumps can only be serviced by a shop that knows what they are doing. there is really no external adjustments.

can you actually hear the engine speed drop down that much or are you going just by the tach?

Old 12-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Crazy2
Junior User
just going buy tach. every time start the truck the tack has diff reading

Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
sounds like the wires you just repaired may be corroded.you might need to cut them back until you find good clean wire and replace a section.the wires to the tach sensor are up on the engine.not sure what your found by your battery.got a pic?
if the trans isn't having a problem,then the pcm must be getting a good clean signal,but your gauge isn't.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Crazy2
Junior User
Update

Just pull my 5th wheel that 38ft 3 slide wgt 16,500 lbs 250 miles back home to Fl. The truck did great i was able do 65 with it that foot to the floor

Ok i stop about 110 miles in to the trip to refuel and notice idle was up at about 800 to 850 where i started off at 650. so when was at fuel stop turn idle back down to 650 i haven't been out to day see what reading at

I'll also notice when had fuel to 3/4 to floor and then when mash on did see any change in power or rpm's i didn't see my rpm's go over 3000 rpm''s. Is there something on there it just seam like dead spot there thinking it could have pull little more speed out it

Went thur lot fuel haven't got mileage yet i know when stop put fuel front took 9gals and rear tank took 11 gals and drove other 74 miles and burn half tank on the rear

Old 12-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Crazy2
Junior User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
sounds like the wires you just repaired may be corroded.you might need to cut them back until you find good clean wire and replace a section.the wires to the tach sensor are up on the engine.not sure what your found by your battery.got a pic?
if the trans isn't having a problem,then the pcm must be getting a good clean signal,but your gauge isn't.
I will take pic of the wires when the wife get back with the truck

The only thing is i can't post pics in the thread for some reason

Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
is she n/a or turbocharged?

Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Crazy2
Junior User
is she n/a or turbocharged?
94 F-350 CC turbo auto DRW 2x4

Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
crazy you don't have many post here yet.i can't dig up any info on your truck.
so you just bought this old gal,and fixed up some leaky return lines.
though i do see in your garage some injectors.so you just changed these too?

so you have yourself;
94 F-350 CC turbo auto DRW 2x4 w/ 173k with........
a factory turbo probably being that she's a '94?
new injectors?
stock ip still?
boost or egt gauges yet?
fuel adjustment to the ip is likely still unknown right?
timing probably is unknown?

when you had her WOT pulling the 5ver at 65mph,did you notice any black smoke at all, at 3/4 to WOT?

Old 12-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Crazy2
Junior User
crazy you don't have many post here yet.i can't dig up any info on your truck.
so you just bought this old gal,and fixed up some leaky return lines.
though i do see in your garage some injectors.so you just changed these too?

so you have yourself;
94 F-350 CC turbo auto DRW 2x4 w/ 173k with........
a factory turbo probably being that she's a '94?
new injectors?
stock ip still?
boost or egt gauges yet?
fuel adjustment to the ip is likely still unknown right?
timing probably is unknown?

when you had her WOT pulling the 5ver at 65mph,did you notice any black smoke at all, at 3/4 to WOT?
Yes just got truck i'll blow up chevy 6.5

yes factory turbo looks like mickey mouse exhaust system on it which needs to be fix

No the truck never put out any black smoke at all when pulling

now IP not sure if been replace or just work on it look like new sprigs, hight idle unit and tps looks new the IP is very clean not seeing any grey paint on it but know if they did when they came from factory

put new return lines on and only replace one injector that was cross threaded for as right now if decide keep the truck it will get new injectors , pump, 3in dp 4 in back with duel tails, air intake system and all the gauges

If i can get this truck pull at 75 mph i think would keep it. The one thing i can say it has lot more TQ then my 6.5 did

Old 12-23-2011, 11:59 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
i think you'll find your going to be pleased once you do all that.
i forgot to ask which gears she has too.3.55's or 4.10's?
the axle code can be found on the drivers side door jam sticker if you haven't checked yet.
What rear end ratio is in my Ford , do I have positraction? - Drivetrain.com

you'll find with the new found power after the full tune up,and custom exhaust,that 75 is likely obtainable,but fuel economy will be much better towing that beast slower anyway (even if you had a new 6.7l sitting under the hood lol.)

another thing to consider,though im not sure what your budget is for the truck.but the weakest link to the E40D isn't the trans itself,but the stock converter.it's got a pretty high failure rate (unfortunately when they come flying apart,they clean out the whole trans with them.) the cure to this is swapping it out for a good built unit such as this:
http://racerxusa.com//product_info.p...roducts_id=267

Old 12-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Crazy2
Junior User
i forgot to ask which gears she has too.3.55's or 4.10's?
4.10's

you'll find with the new found power after the full tune up,and custom exhaust,that 75 is likely obtainable,but fuel economy will be much better towing that beast slower anyway (even if you had a new 6.7l sitting under the hood lol.)

Well old retired truck driver and doing 75 or 80 down the highway what been doing for yrs

If this works out right it will have it work out cause me and wife are full time Rv'ers and we put on 15,000 to 20,000 miles a yr and thing is i like old trucks better then new one don't like all that comptuer sh|t that they put in them

another thing to consider,though im not sure what your budget is for the truck.but the weakest link to the E40D isn't the trans itself,but the stock converter.it's got a pretty high failure rate (unfortunately when they come flying apart,they clean out the whole trans with them.) the cure to this is swapping it out for a good built unit such as this:

Thanks for that tip. Didn't know had weak converters in them

Thanks for the link the price may be high but it would cost hole lot more for new trans

Is there better auto trans out there that fit these motors ?

Quick Reply: Idle RPM's