1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gary, I can't say I blame you, heredity is inescapable. My oldest stepsister is already starting to see the road her mother went down (she died of the long term physical aspect of Alzheimers). In my case, mom died of colon cancer at 51 in 1971, dad of what they said was congestive heart failure at 89 in 2009. So I guess Matt is stuck with me for a long time.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Let me see if I understand: If I don't drink 100 glasses of wine a day I'll forget, and if I do drink 100 glasses of wine a day I'll forget. Wow, what a choice.

Anyway, on the tranny I'm just trying to find out what the price ball park is. I'm not sure I'm going to do it, but do want to know the cost - roughly. Having said that, this is obviously the time to do it if I'm going to do it since, probably, the cab will be off and removing it will be easy.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know you have to take a torch to the gears in order to get them off of the shafts on the ZF's. They are shrink fit. James doesn't have a torch at home , but he can go to my dads house and use his. I should see him tomorrow afternoon.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
...If I do it things will drag on and on. I've come to the conclusion that I may, just MAY, be getting older. Not OLD, but oldER.

And, I don't know what the future holds. None of us do, but some of us have a heritage that is, well, scary and confusing. I think it may be time to hire help a bit more than in the past. ....
Gary, I am fairly busy right now, but you can always use me for free to help you tear things down faster. I am working overtime and have two boy under 3, but I can still swing a few hours on a Saturday morning, or late afternoon. You've been a major help to me for a couple years and I will be there for you as long as I live close.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by bruno2
I know you have to take a torch to the gears in order to get them off of the shafts on the ZF's. They are shrink fit. James doesn't have a torch at home , but he can go to my dads house and use his. I should see him tomorrow afternoon.
Do the gears have to come off to fit new bearings and synchro's? I'll bet they do for the latter.

Originally Posted by RAY1986F150
Gary, I am fairly busy right now, but you can always use me for free to help you tear things down faster. I am working overtime and have two boy under 3, but I can still swing a few hours on a Saturday morning, or late afternoon. You've been a major help to me for a couple years and I will be there for you as long as I live close.
Thanks, Ray. I just putter around and get things done, albeit slowly. But I may call you if I have to have some help. Thanks again.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a hard time reading about Shaun. If it were Sean, or Shawn, it wouldn't be so bad. But the fact that it's Shaun, makes Shaun feel like he's calling his own name out, and that just makes for an interesting read by Shaun.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. I know this is going to cost a lot more than if I do it, but the difference is that it will get done, and done right. If I do it things will drag on and on. I've come to the conclusion that I may, just MAY, be getting older. Not OLD, but oldER.

And, I don't know what the future holds. None of us do, but some of us have a heritage that is, well, scary and confusing. I think it may be time to hire help a bit more than in the past.

Speaking of help, when you talk with James please ask him what his ballpark is on rebuilding a ZF5. The gears look excellent, but probably bearings and synchro's.
I agree, COMPLETELY,..That is why I am blasting my old paint off...

The paint is cracked all the way to the metal..(factory mess-up)..

From the preliminary estimates, I will save about 1K $$..

That is why I am taking the time(forever, it seems) to take the paint off..

All the emblems,bumpers, lights,grille, etc. are off...

After I blasted a small section with the handheld blaster(fender,etc) I shot some primer on it to keep it from rust..

I will haul it (with my other Ford, BTW) to the body shop to get the little nicks,dent or two, etc. out of it..

He will fix, prep, paint and I will put everything else back on...

I'm getting a little older too, but I Hope a LOT wiser....Trav..

Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Shaun - My mistake, it is actually Shawn. Just got an email from him and I saw how he spelled his name.

Trav - I don't think I'll blast mine, but I'm going down to talk to Shawn on Friday so may find out more then. If I can save $1000 I might do it, but I have to remember that the media costs quite a bit if I use soda.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:36 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaun - My mistake, it is actually Shawn. Just got an email from him and I saw how he spelled his name.

Trav - I don't think I'll blast mine, but I'm going down to talk to Shawn on Friday so may find out more then. If I can save $1000 I might do it, but I have to remember that the media costs quite a bit if I use soda.
I wouldn't if I didn't have to...I live in the country, so, sand is the media...

Good carbon mask,,etc..

I can't use a sander...The vibrations don't agree with my hands..(RA SUCKS)..

Anyway, anything that you can do to it yourself is worth anywhere from 60 to 100 $ an hour shop labor...Trav..

Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 PM
bruno2
Postmaster

I hope we can blow this up?

FTE wont let me link a pic tonight to save the cat.

OK gosh dang it! It is showing the image in the preview and then not giving me a darn thing when I post it.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:57 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bruno, it's got to be their wondrous server again. The first one, if I ask it open in new tab says "webpage not found" second one says "access denied......".

Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
[IMG]OK gosh dang it! It is showing the image in the preview and then not giving me a darn thing when I post it.
Usually showing it in the preview and not when posted means you are linking to a picture on your PC - not one on the internet. So, the link works on your PC and your PC only.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

I hope we can blow this up?

FTE wont let me link a pic tonight to save the cat.

OK gosh dang it! It is showing the image in the preview and then not giving me a darn thing when I post it.
Looks like you are trying to drag-and-drop pictures into your post; that might work if you're a Supporter and can directly add attachments but I haven't verified that....

Old 03-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Paint Plans

I'm taking silence re the paint and bodywork plans to be complete agreement, so I thank you for your input.

In any event, I've gotten a guestimate from Shawn. However, it doesn't include welding up the trim holes, grinding down the trim studs, nor taking out a few dings that are obvious. And, it probably doesn't include the bed liner, although we had talked about it. I've responded to his message with a few questions for clarification, and have set an appointment for Friday morning to visit his shop. But, my guess is that the things I already know I want to have done will bring the total in at about $6500, and there's obviously the possibility of finding more.

However, I also contacted a guy that I did some powder coating for on a Javelin he did for a guy. He has been working from his home, but is in the process of opening a shop in beautiful downtown Collinsville. He gave me a less expensive price that is said to include everything, although he hasn't really looked the truck over closely so the price may go up when he does - which is why I'm not quoting it yet. He does professional work and I'm confident that the result will be excellent.

So, I'm closing in on choosing a shop. And, work should start soon. But, I am coming up with some questions:
  • Trim studs: In using Brownie's bed I'll have to grind off the 14 studs that Ford tacked on each side to hold the trim as they are in the wrong place. What is the best approach for fastening the trim on - drill where the studs would have gone and use screws to hold the plastic retainers?
  • What bed liner is recommended? The 2nd guy said Rhinoliner and for sure not to tint it. He said he tinted the liner on his own truck and wound up selling the truck in 6 months because the color started fading badly.
  • Other tips? What else should I be thinking of or worring about?
Last, with NumberDummy's help I got the XLT emblems ordered today. Thanks, Bill!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Most people born and raised in Collinsville have mental defects Gary.

Quick Reply: Dad's Truck Build