1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Twistedwrench
Stash a spare windshield wiper , spare light bulbs ,1157- 194 , maybe a gallon of washer fluid too
Thanks, but the windshield wiper blades are 6 months old and it hasn't set out more than one day since. All outside bulbs are new, as are many of the inside ones. And, I just filled up the wiper reservoir with a new batch of Preston BugWash. Surely I can't need more than one reservoir full on the way? I can get more and fill it up in DE if need be.

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Spare DSII box under the seat (always)

Ice Scraper
Jumper Cables
... Gas Can, even if it's a little one gallon jug it can sure come in handy on the road. For more than just fuel.

I'm sitting here watching the madness that is the day before Valentines.
I just want to go in the supermarket and get something for dinner.
There are people almost fighting over flowers.
Where's the love?
The DS-II box is a good idea! I forgot that one. Thanks. As for the ice scraper & jumper cables, they are in. Flowers, I paid for mine yesterday and picked them up early today - from a flower shop, not WallyWorld.

Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4
Some extra antifreeze, a spare set of spark plugs, zip ties, and duct tape.

Zip ties can function as a makeshift band clamp if you need it to. Not recommended, but in an emergency, whatever works.

Duct tape can fix just about everything.

Don't forget a can of fix-a-flat and a tire plug kit with lots of spare plugs. A bicycle pump is great too, if you don't get winded.
Just went through the cooling system and replaced everything but the water pump, which is pretty new, so don't think I need anti-freeze. If it should leak some I can add water as it is already heavy on the anti-freeze.

Spark plugs have 3K miles on them and I just had them out to check them - looking good. Zip ties might be a good idea, and duct tape is a great one. But, the tires have 5K miles on them and I have a good spare, with all of them having plenty of air.

Guys - I really appreciate your help, and I'm not wanting to say "been there, done that". I truly want your help and another view, so thanks!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Twistedwrench
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Thanks, but the windshield wiper blades are 6 months old and it hasn't set out more than one day since. All outside bulbs are new, as are many of the inside ones. And, I just filled up the wiper reservoir with a new batch of Preston BugWash. Surely I can't need more than one reservoir full on the way? I can get more and fill it up in DE if need be.

The DS-II box is a good idea! I forgot that one. Thanks. As for the ice scraper & jumper cables, they are in. Flowers, I paid for mine yesterday and picked them up early today - from a flower shop, not WallyWorld.

Just went through the cooling system and replaced everything but the water pump, which is pretty new, so don't think I need anti-freeze. If it should leak some I can add water as it is already heavy on the anti-freeze.

Spark plugs have 3K miles on them and I just had them out to check them - looking good. Zip ties might be a good idea, and duct tape is a great one. But, the tires have 5K miles on them and I have a good spare, with all of them having plenty of air.

Guys - I really appreciate your help, and I'm not wanting to say "been there, done that". I truly want your help and another view, so thanks!
Wiper blades always break when you least expect it . After going through another bad storm here in Connecticut , one spare is always a good idea .

Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
A cell phone from which you will call a tow truck.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
A cell phone from which you will call a tow truck.
And, AAA Gold membership. I have both of those.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you need a water pump, all you need to do is get to Baltimore. I know a good source there.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
If you need a water pump, all you need to do is get to Baltimore. I know a good source there.
I'd rather not get stranded, again, in Baltimore. Last time was the fuel pump on an ML320 at 4:30 in the morning on I-95. How 'bout closer to WV?

Or, better yet, not have any problems? My wife says the tools are good insurance. If so, we have lots of insurance and should make it w/o a hitch.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

The parts are in Linthicum Heights. I only had one experiance with an ML320, that's what totaled my Konvertible. She was on her cell phone trying to get an appointment with her doctor and tried to say my brake lights and turn signal weren't working.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The DS-II box is a good idea! I forgot that one. Thanks. As for the ice scraper & jumper cables, they are in.
I guess I meant;

1) Jumper Cables *check
2) Ice Scraper *check
3) Gas Can *....

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Archion
Postmaster
The parts source in Baltimore commutes back and forth from WV daily and now has a sufficient rescue vehicle.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
The parts are in Linthicum Heights. I only had one experiance with an ML320, that's what totaled my Konvertible. She was on her cell phone trying to get an appointment with her doctor and tried to say my brake lights and turn signal weren't working.
See below.

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
I guess I meant;

1) Jumper Cables *check
2) Ice Scraper *check
3) Gas Can *....

Sorry for the confusion.
Now I understand. But, I'm still confused. Oh, wait - I'm usually confused so maybe it isn't your fault?

Originally Posted by Archion
The parts source in Baltimore commutes back and forth from WV daily and now has a sufficient rescue vehicle.
Ahhhh! Dawn, Marblehead,..... Now it clicks. Last Easterish you mentioned that you live close to BWI - I remember 'cause I was picking my daughter, SiL, and grandtwins up there from my son's house in Alexandria. And then recently you mentioned it again, which confused my due to the WV work location.

Having lived in DE (PA actually, but who knows where Kennett Square is...) and driven to Falls Church frequently, which was where I was going when the ML's fuel pump failed, I'm all too familiar with I-95, 295, and 695 and I don't envy you at all. YUK!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Reverse that, Live in WV and work near BWI...

Old 02-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Oh, ok. Then, ........ I'll PM you re meeting on our way out of DE.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Oh, ok. Then, ........ I'll PM you re meeting on our way out of DE.
Works for me...

Old 02-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Passed With Flying Colors!

Just back from the final shakedown cruise, and the truck passed with flying colors. No problems at all. None of the tools rattled, the alternator & regulator kept the voltmeter needle just above 14v, the choke worked properly, and the RS thermostat kept the thermometer between 185 & 190˚. I didn't fill it up when we got home but I'm pretty sure it got about 15 MPG as the gauge was right where it has been previously when it got 15 - 1/8 tank. Obviously that isn't accurate, but since I've driven this truck on that same trip 11 times in the last few months I'm happy with saying it was "about 15 MPG". Tomorrow I'll check the coolant to see that it went back to the mark on the overflow reservoir and that the oil level is still on Full, but other than that the truck is ready.

Next up is to get the neighbor to help me load the three big items on Saturday and then I'll start placing the other items and see how it goes. But brainstorming with my wife just now suggests it'll all fit - probably.

I'll get some pictures for y'all when it is loaded. Delaware, here we come! Let's see, if the Joads left Oklahoma and went west, would we be the Daojs?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Yaga1973
Elder User - What???

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's great to hear, Gary!

Quick Reply: Dad's Truck Build