6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

MPG questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Gmangh15
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPG questions

Im saving some money and am wanting to increase my mpg along with longevity of the motor. this is my first diesel and i love it.Its an early 03 f250 with a 4 inch lift with 305/75/16.
1. I am wanting to take off the lift and get it back to bone stock then just do a 2 inch leveling kit with 285/75/16. will that help?

2. what leveling kit for the 03 since i have leaf springs?

3. I have been reading a lot on here about tunes. What is a tune, is it a chip cause i have heard lots of bad things about chips and blowing seals and gaskets which leads to other things breaking. Would this help mpg.

4. I am wanting to do the 4 inch turbo back with the kitty delete along with a straight flow muffler. i have seen alot about the mbrp. What do yall think?

Thats all i can think of right now, i am always open to suggestions and to what others think. Thank you for your help

Old 12-15-2011, 03:17 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1) Going down to stock tires will help your MPG city driving, but it will hurt highway MPG a little.

2) Leveling kit - you are at the right place for that question. I'll defer to someone who has actually used them. I am sure someone will chime in.

3) A chip is only hard on the engine if you abuse the truck. A good tune can help your MPG. If you are going for a hot rod, you will have to bulletproof the engine. Different topic.

4) The exhaust mods you describe will definitely help mileage. The easier that engine breathes, the less work it has to do.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:40 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gmangh15
Im saving some money and am wanting to increase my mpg along with longevity of the motor. this is my first diesel and i love it.Its an early 03 f250 with a 4 inch lift with 305/75/16. 1. I am wanting to take off the lift and get it back to bone stock then just do a 2 inch leveling kit with 285/75/16. will that help?
Don't buy a tuner expecting a solid fuel mileage increase. It won't happen like most tuners (Banks, Bully Dog, Edge, etc) claim. Now a side effect of re-tuning the truck, you may pick-up some mileage. Could be as little as 0.5 mpg or as much as 2-3 mpg. The biggest thing is how you drive...that will effect your mileage. With that said, getting the truck back to stock will help...you won't be pushing such a big amount of air around.
2. what leveling kit for the 03 since i have leaf springs?
Can't help you with this one...2WD guy riding stock tires & suspension.
3. I have been reading a lot on here about tunes. What is a tune, is it a chip cause i have heard lots of bad things about chips and blowing seals and gaskets which leads to other things breaking. Would this help mpg.
A tune is more or less a software code for the PCM, FICM and ECM. You don't chip a 6.0L; ya' tune it. With that said...if it was me, I'd get a hold of either Jody with DP-Tuner or Matt at Gearhead. Both write excellent tunes for 6.0L...and they can customize 'em for your truck (stock, studded, heavly mods. etc). Do yourself (and your truck) a favor and stay way from Banks & Bully Dog. Those tuners may work fine for the Dodge boys...but they'll destroy your transmission; and possible the engine.
4. I am wanting to do the 4 inch turbo back with the kitty delete along with a straight flow muffler. i have seen alot about the mbrp. What do yall think?
MBRP makes a good system, might check with Clay at RiffRaff. I believe he was offering free shipping on exhaust systems the last I checked.

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: - Exhaust Systems Complete

Old 12-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Gmangh15
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't drive hard at all as of now the exhaust is a for sure, I still want-some more feedback on the tunes and figure more out about em. Is there anyone out there with a tune just for economy and no performance? And the lift is a maybe I'm not to sure if it'll make that big of a deal to take off or not

Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 PM
dukie1877
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Welcome to the diesel world ! Gotta love the smell It sounds like it would be a good idea to spend some time on here reading up and getting familiar with your truck. Its kinda like getting to know the girl after you started dating That being said you are going to read allot of good things and bad things. Just remember every truck is different. But there are some things you might want to do along the way to help the longevity of the truck some sooner than others. MPG would come second imo but everyone has their own. Good luck with your new beastly diesel I know ill never get rid of my 6.0