Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Old 12-14-2011, 03:25 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool, they actually look fairly promising!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,113 Posts
I`d love to take these for a spin on dry roads in the spring.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 PM
less
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The police car business is heating up...with the end of production of the CV. It is my understanding that in past years usually one make finds favour with the majority of police depts.

Given that three (Ford, GM, Dodge) are all vying for police favour right now and the old King (CV) is dead I think the next couple of years will be critical as to which maker's police package will succeed and which won't.

I think this is case because many police Departments would like to have one type of vehicle over a period of years for reasons:

- of similar parts (ie; use salvageable parts off police car write-offs, to use for remaining police cars)

-easier police garage staff, familiarity of model for easier /faster service

-easier and cheaper (economy of scale) inventory of parts for one police package make, rather than having parts inventory for a number of different makes.

I would also think that makers will be offering their respective police packages to police throughout North America at cut rate, extremely competitive prices.

I don't think there is a lot to choose between police packages. They (GM, Ford,Dodge) all seem to very close in handling, speed, acceleration, economy and other parameters used by police departments to choose vehicles.

They have to pull out all stops to beat the other guy.

Isn't competition wonderful ?

I would be more than willing to offer my services to test police packages from different makers...if I could be of service.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:49 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by less
Isn't competition wonderful ?
Yes. yes it is. I dont know what chevy has, but dodge has a pretty sweet cop car with the charger.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:34 PM
less
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by preppypyro
Yes. yes it is. I dont know what chevy has, but dodge has a pretty sweet cop car with the charger.

Here you go Preppy, pls. see attached link regarding the Chevy Police Package.

I've read that despite, what C+D says in this article, that some police depts. do have a concern about the Chevy police package having a floor shift, as opposed to a column shifter....floor shift gets in the way of equipment...some police cars just don't have a computer in the front...some also have a shotgun and it's mount there.

The Dodge is also plenty powerful with it's V8 and I think the Taurus with it's eco boost V6...has plenty of punch. Don't know if AWD is an option for police package Taurus , but this could also add to winter driving in our northern climes and could improve handling performance...over a 2 wd...by having all 4 wheels pulling through a corner.

Interior room is important...aside from the Caprice's floor shift...I think it's got good space...apparently Dodge is a bit small in comparison...I don't know much about the Taurus.

Should be interesting.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...S8jLPQ&cad=rja

Old 12-15-2011, 06:17 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The taurus is available with AWD, not sure about the police models, but why couldn't it be built with. I know that E-Boost is one lethal engine. In comparable vehicles from any brand I don't know too many that could outrun it. Both of those PI vehicles from Ford look awesome, but I have to agree with Prep that those chargers look sweet done up as police units. Even in the rearview mirror with party lights flashing... :-evil

Stock for stock, I don't think there's a pickup on the pavement that would beat the E-boost in a fair race, tow competition, or anything else. I couldn't imagine what the E-boost feels like in a 3500# ish car...

Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
I would think that awd would decrease "police reliability", as in one less thing to break in a chase?

I would like to se how the charger with the v8 compares to the ecoboost, that would be a cool race/handling test!

I havent read much about the new ecoboost trucks lately, how are they matching up against those big v8's? Historically, there hasnt been a v6 that can really outpull a v8 truck. Racing, well thats different, but who buys their truck for racing?!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:00 PM
less
Posting Guru
Attached link is the Michigan State Police Package tests. The AWD Taurus 3.5 turbo is a police package and tested. Fastest in acceleration and top speed is the Chev Caprice V8 police package. Not a big difference between the Caprice V8 and the Taurus 3.5 Turbo AWD in acceleration...but there is top speed again to the Chevy.

No Dodge figures in 2012, but I think they maybe in 2011. The Charger Hemi V8 is fast, but I think it may be behind the AWD 3.5 Turbo and the Chevy V8.

The AWD as Preppy says might be another thing to go wrong in severe police service...but up here in the Prairies during winter it would probably be appreciated by police officers.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...GRkmuQ&cad=rja

Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had a couple Hemi guys in my truck when I was towing 7k#'s, the look on their face when I pulled out to pass a semi was pure amazement, shock and awe. One quietly said "wow", the other was speachless.

One of my most memorable times was letting a middle aged guy (late 50's) drive it. He's a die hard GMC guy, I had to really grind him to even take my truck for a drive. He had just bought a 2011 GMC, full load, Z71 or whatever, the 5.3L v8. End result? He's been complaining about his truck ever since. Even mentioning the words "changing brands"...

I test drove a Hemi before I bought the Boost. Honestly I'd like to line them up, both loaded and not. The Hemi is also a very strong motor, and the latest truck wrapped around it isn't that shabby either.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Not like I am super for the new dodge trucks, but I agree they really stepped up their game.

I dunno if the hemi would be faster then the 3.5 or not. Sure would be cool finding out!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Prairie Lariat
Posting Guru
The interceptor Tahoe is getting put into fleet right now as the 2 wheel drive option and new F-150's to cover 4 wheel drives. Smaller city forces are using the Charger since they don't have to buy as many of them (more $$$).
Liking the looks of those new Explorer and Taurus based interceptors though.