Need Some 5'r Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 PM
GrampsHandMeDown
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Some 5'r Advice

All-

The time has come, seems like prices down from MSRP are about as low as they're going to go...

My truck is a 12 F350 DRW King Ranch and I'm looking at a 12 Infinity 3470RE. The truck can obviously handle its weights, however, this is my first RV. I'm a little nervous about how much more I should expect to be taken off the MSRP if any. Our first round of negotiations got me full price that they've knocked down it to (24K off), and half price on an air ride hitch for the unit, the Reese mount in the bed and electical to it. Any advice from previous buyers on what to expect from here is appreciated!

Thanks-
B.J.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:00 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,042 Posts
Get them to throw in some TV's or something..I think you have done pretty well.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:05 PM
GrampsHandMeDown
Freshman User
Appreciate the vote of confidence. TV's are already in back and bedroom. Only thing this model doesn't already have is the generator. So, I have to plan on a few K for that after purchase since we'll use it as a traditional RV not a full time shore power set up, especially while moving from CO down to TX.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,042 Posts
hmmm I have outlets for 4 TV's in mine. It came with two and I have them throw another in. Have them pre-wire for the generator then.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:09 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
I agree with senix. My sister bought a new 38' toy hauler in 09'.
MSRP was a bit over $64,000, they paid $47,000. They bought a 1 yr
old crewcab, diesel duelly 4x4, bought and installed the hitch themselve's.

They turned in a 36' class C motor home, didn't get a whole lot on tradein.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know when negotiating with several dealers a couple of years ago, I could get them down to 23% off MSRP.
I'm sure you might get a buck or two more if persistent.
I've always said if not happy that "I don't need the deal and walk away." They seem to always find something more.
I finally bought used and paid 40 cents on the dollar.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Gearitis
Laughing Gas

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Over on other boards that are RV specific, they all seem to shoot for 34% off MSRP. Why 34 is the magic number, I have yet to decipher that. With 12's out now, you should be able to get an 11 for a "real" deal. With Carriage going out of business, there may be some real deals out there on high end which should make the middle follow suite.
I am not afraid to deal, so throw a number out there, and go low, remember you are the one in control, not them as they would like you to think. Oh well my 2 cents.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
You should be trying to get about 30% off give or take. At that point it really depends on the popularity of the unit. Deal on the unit before trying to deal on accesories or it can get confusing fast. Best time to buy is from now until about mid-February. Christmas to New Years is very good as sales are very slow and it is end of month and end of year.

Steve

Old 12-15-2011, 01:39 PM
bigjr2
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah id say this time of years the best mine msrp at just under 40 I walked away last winter with it at around 22 and they threw in the 5er hitch not a great one but it works. Only draw back is looking at your brand new camper all winter long :-)

Old 12-16-2011, 06:36 AM
rattleNsmoke
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the quality of the tires on the rig. If they tare an unfamiliar brand to you, check the country of origin. A lot of manufacturers are using cheap Chinese tires and their blowout records are apparantly high. Get the dealer to swap them out for US made or Michelin's. It just might save you frustration and lotsa $$ later on.
Mike

Old 12-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Toyhauler Tug
Senior User
Good advice on the tires. Seems like even high end units are going with chinese time bombs. My 05 All American Sport had very nice goodyear tires with "G" load rating. Unfortunately it was the only good thing about it. Back to manufacture (Forest River) three times for cracking exterior wall. Traded that toad off on a MUCH nicer Fuzion Touring Edition Three. No issues with it except for Tow Max chinese maypops. They swear the blowout issues are solved. Still I keep a very close eye on pressures, every stop I make I look/feel tires for heat or bulges. If a tire goes, it can take out alot with it. My buddy had a blowout and it took fender, inner fender, and some wiring with it. If you can get them to trade tires, go for it, although, like too many other things it is getting harder to find american made trailer tires. And YES they are different than non trailer tires! Good luck!

Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
overthehillbill
Senior User
X-2 on the tires, my China bombs were Iron Man. They waited for the warranty to expire then two of them exploded. The tread was at 85%.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:25 AM
TyWebb
Senior User
We just bought our first 5r last June (have had multiple trailers from this dealership) I was able to get roughly 28% off MSRP + upgraded tires, replaced scissor jacks on the back with really nice electric load leveling jacks, cover and a Reese Elite hitch. I figure this puts me in the 33-34% range.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:59 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by TyWebb
We just bought our first 5r last June (have had multiple trailers from this dealership) I was able to get roughly 28% off MSRP + upgraded tires, replaced scissor jacks on the back with really nice electric load leveling jacks, cover and a Reese Elite hitch. I figure this puts me in the 33-34% range.
Hi Rusty,

You may well be right. The reason I encourage folks not to wrap accessories and upgrades together with the unit is the mark-ups are so different. The mark-up on parts at many dealerships is massive. Sometimes I am dumbstruck when folks tell me how much they pay for parts and accessories at dealerships.

The electric levelers on the rear are cool, but do be careful not to forget they are down and drag them, or catch them while parking. I replace a lot of those that have been nearly torn off.

Hope you are enjoying your camper,

Steve

Old 01-01-2012, 11:22 AM
TyWebb
Senior User
I hear ya Steve!!!

I could have saved $1500-$3000 by going to another dealership and negotiating each item individually or purchasing the parts from somewhere like eTrailer. That said the sales staff and ongoing service I have received from this dealership is worth the extra $$$$$$ to both me and my wife.

Other factors included buying local, they are storing it over the winter for free (even put the damn cover on it for me)and sell the Tiffin brand motorhome we want to buy in the future. All these factors made it much easier for me to bundle everything together at time of purchase.

Opinions are like...well ya know "We all got one"
I will always recommend doing your homework, buying the best you can get within your budget and then find a dealership you trust to take care of you when issues like warranty items come up. One rejected warranty claim can put a dent in any type of upfront savings you may have received.

Quick Reply: Need Some 5'r Advice