1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New heated seats installed in my 99 F-250

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Tom_Ho
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Wiring for the Seats

Ok, I know that this thread is a couple years old. I doing pretty much the same swap as you have done here. Heated/power seats from a 2004 F250 into a 2000 F250. Currently have power drivers seat and manual passenger seat, 3 wires in a 4 pin connector on the current drivers seat. New drivers seat has 6 wires in an 8 pin connector and new passenger has 3 wires in 4 pin connector.

So, the question is: Did you run new wires from the fuse panel for the extra 3 wires, or were the wires needed already there under the carpet in the cab?

I was not able to get the cab side of the connector when i bought the seats. The salvage yard here had already taken the seats out and scrapped the rest of the cab. So i am looking at hard wiring without the connector for the drivers seat. I do have a 4 pin connector with 3 wires to run over to the passenger seat though.

A little help here would be appreciated.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:05 AM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
The wires were not already on the pickup. Mine was a 1999 and my seats came out of a newer version, I am not sure what year started putting power heated on both sides.

For the extra wires I ran them directly to the battery and I put fused links on the ends for fuse protection. I felt this was a much easier option that tearing my dash apart looking for wired to tap into for the power. I beleive one of the three for the passenger side was a ground and I think one wire was tapped into the wire harness for the driver side seat.

I had purchased a factory Ford wire schematic for these to help with with the wiring. I have that at home but do not have it handy with me as I am writing this post.

I have also long sold this pickup and no longer have it to even look at what I had done. Hopefully this points you in the right direction.

Jeff

Originally Posted by Tom_Ho
Ok, I know that this thread is a couple years old. I doing pretty much the same swap as you have done here. Heated/power seats from a 2004 F250 into a 2000 F250. Currently have power drivers seat and manual passenger seat, 3 wires in a 4 pin connector on the current drivers seat. New drivers seat has 6 wires in an 8 pin connector and new passenger has 3 wires in 4 pin connector.

So, the question is: Did you run new wires from the fuse panel for the extra 3 wires, or were the wires needed already there under the carpet in the cab?

I was not able to get the cab side of the connector when i bought the seats. The salvage yard here had already taken the seats out and scrapped the rest of the cab. So i am looking at hard wiring without the connector for the drivers seat. I do have a 4 pin connector with 3 wires to run over to the passenger seat though.

A little help here would be appreciated.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:15 PM
colej1989
New User
How did u wire all this up you got pictures

Old 10-07-2014, 10:21 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by colej1989
How did u wire all this up you got pictures
No pictures other than what I posted and I sold the pickup two years ago so I have no way to take any.

The driver side was easy, I just needed to swap connectors from the old seats to the new seats. The passenger side had no wires for power seats or heated so I had to add those. Since I had connectors with the new seats I just added some wires over to the passenger seat, basically a couple power wires and some grounds and they worked great.

One of my earlier post in this thread labels what color wire does what on the seats I had. From there I just added power or ground wires as needed to make them work.

Jeff

Old 09-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Av8tor
New User
Originally Posted by bigblockford_390
I picked up a factory manual on CD which covers from 1997 through 2008 all Ford products off of Ebay for $18.00, the ad only said 1999-2004 F-Super Duty searies manuals so I was shocked to find all the extra stuff in it.

If your pickup is like mine there is a connector on the floor under the seat that has three wires. One is hot all the time, one is ground and one is for the seat belt indicator in the dash. It is a connector that can have 4 wires but only three are used. The new connector for the heated seats on the driver side has spots for 8 wires but only use 6 so the three additonal wires are as followed. One is hot all the time, one is keyed power and the other just runs over to the passenger seat to provide a power source there.

On the passenger side it is a connector with 4 spots but only uses 3 wires, and one comes from the driver side seat, one is ground and one is hot all the time.

Driver seat heat wires:

Light blue/pink is keyed power.
Red/black is hot all the time.
White/red runs over to the passenger seat.

Driver side power movement wires:

Dark green is hot all the time.
Black is ground.
Brown/ light blue is the seat belt indicator.

Passenger side heat and power movement wires:

Black/white is hot all the time for power movement.
Black is ground.
White/red is from driver seat to provide power for heated seats.

Hopefully that will help you out.

Jeff
Where can i run a wire for my heated seats to work off of the ignition side that way they won't stay on if I accidentally hit the button getting out of the truck. Fyi my truck is an 01 f250 xlt and i am installing 06 lariat seats

Old 09-16-2016, 10:26 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by Av8tor
Where can i run a wire for my heated seats to work off of the ignition side that way they won't stay on if I accidentally hit the button getting out of the truck. Fyi my truck is an 01 f250 xlt and i am installing 06 lariat seats
Does your pickup have power seats, I know they would not have been heated but I would think the plug would be the same.

Even though I had ran some wires to the battery the heated seat part only worked with the ignition on.

The wire colors that I listed where right out of the factory manual. The light blue/pink wire was keyed power.

Look under your seat if you do not have power seats and look for the wiring and see if it is there.

Jeff

Old 09-17-2016, 10:35 AM
Av8tor
New User
Jeff,
The 01 seats that came out of my truck were not powered but the 3 wire 4 prong plug is there. I am wondering how you ran a wire straight from your battery to your heated seat wire and it only worked when you had the ignition on and not on all the time as long as the heated seats button is pushed in??? I was thinking of running the light blue/ pink wire to the heated seats. do you know what amperage fuse is used on the light blue/pink wire? would it be sufficient to run my heated seats? Correct me if I am wrong but all the wires that are needed are there underneath the drivers seat, you just need to tap off of those wires and run some extras to your passenger seat???? I plan on digging into this today and having them installed by tonight!!! wish me luck!

Old 09-17-2016, 10:48 AM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was involved in the post back before, when we were all young. I'm slow, but I still don't see the explanation to why my seats cut off, and how I can bypass that. I'd love to run that seat as long as I can stand the heat. Is there a way to do that?

Old 09-17-2016, 11:09 AM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Jeff,
The 01 seats that came out of my truck were not powered but the 3 wire 4 prong plug is there. I am wondering how you ran a wire straight from your battery to your heated seat wire and it only worked when you had the ignition on and not on all the time as long as the heated seats button is pushed in??? I was thinking of running the light blue/ pink wire to the heated seats. do you know what amperage fuse is used on the light blue/pink wire? would it be sufficient to run my heated seats? Correct me if I am wrong but all the wires that are needed are there underneath the drivers seat, you just need to tap off of those wires and run some extras to your passenger seat???? I plan on digging into this today and having them installed by tonight!!! wish me luck!
The heated seats that I got came with about 6 inches worth of the pickup harness. These ends had the connector ends on them that matched up to the new seats. As I recall the new seats used more wires than my old ones did, they were the same brand of connector just more pins. I then pulled my 4 pin connector apart, removing the wires from the connector body and then installing the 99 pickup wires into the 8 pin connector body that came with the seats.

There were wires ran directly from the battery but they were not directly wired into the heated seat. The straight battery power wires are for the heated seat but only to the relay. The power source from keyed power still went to the switch on the side of the seat, and that controlled the relay. Once the relay is triggered the heated seats come on. So with out the key power to trigger the relay then nothing happens.

As for the fuse size I think I matched up what the factory manual said was used. Instead of tearing up the entire pickup to find where the factory direct power wires ran I choose the easier route of going straight to battery. When you look at a schematic one side of the relay is wired to constant power and ground and the other side of the relay is key switched power and ground. I just chose to get my constant battery power from a different source than Ford did. I bought fused wire ends that I put on the end of the wire right at the battery that way if there ever was a short it would not damage anything.

Each seat needed a constant power supply, that is where two of the extra wires I needed were for and as I recall one was a ground.

You really need to get your self a schematic of the pickup and it will all make more sense. I have one but that came on the factory CD but it only works on computers with Windows XP and mine are all upgraded to Windows 7 and the schematic portion will no longer open.

I also do not have this pickup anymore so I cant go look at it to get you pictures of what I did.

eBay is a great place to pickup factory manuals and schematics for fairly inexpensive. But with that being said Helm is the publisher of Ford manuals. You can google their site and you can out right buy a brand new manual and have it mailed to your house. Or you can buy an online subscription. The cool thing about the online subscription is you can get it for a day, 3 days or longer and during that time period you have access to everything within that manual to print off on paper or print off electronically to save to your computer. It is a great source and since it is online you can get it now with out waiting. You really need to get a schematic so that you can match up the key power wires, switched power and grounds.

Hopefully this helps out.

Jeff

Old 09-17-2016, 11:33 AM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by DieselVol
I was involved in the post back before, when we were all young. I'm slow, but I still don't see the explanation to why my seats cut off, and how I can bypass that. I'd love to run that seat as long as I can stand the heat. Is there a way to do that?
I would be willing to bet it is in the relay under the seat that controls them that has the timer built in.

Look at a factory schematic and see what it says about it. I bet you could swap it out with a different relay and fix that.

It is interesting that the seats that came out of my 06 that I wrote up in this article did not shut up with a timer and my current 2008 F350 stays on as long as the switch in the dash is on, also not shutting off with a timer.

The thing I liked better about my 06 seats is as long as the switch on the seat was on, any time the key was on the heated seats came on. That means I could use a remote start to start the pickup and the seats were already on warming up without me going outside to trigger the switch. My 2008 you have to push the switch on the dash after every key cycle if you want the heated seats on.

Jeff

Old 09-17-2016, 11:50 AM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Below are schematics that I can pull up for a 2000 Excursion. Looking at the wire colors its the same in my original post so this should work for you. One schematic is for power seats and the other is for the heated seats.

Keep in mind some of these wires are in the harness on the seat and others are on the pickup side.

Jeff

Name:  Heated%20seats_zps0rcjkcic.jpg
Views: 8656
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  Power%20seat%20movement_zpsmdmllot4.jpg
Views: 8705
Size:  109.2 KB

Old 09-17-2016, 03:08 PM
Av8tor
New User
Great, the only thing I'm trying to figure out now is where to tie in the light blue/pink wire. From what I understand, this wire(light blue/pink) is for heated seats(it only allows the heated seats to turn on when the key is on) which activates the relay for the heat portion which allows the red/black wire to heat up the elements in the seat. the Light blue/pink wire is fed off of a 15A fuse. Any ideas where to tie this wire into so it is only fed when the ignition is in the ON position?????

Old 09-17-2016, 03:28 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Great, the only thing I'm trying to figure out now is where to tie in the light blue/pink wire. From what I understand, this wire(light blue/pink) is for heated seats(it only allows the heated seats to turn on when the key is on) which activates the relay for the heat portion which allows the red/black wire to heat up the elements in the seat. the Light blue/pink wire is fed off of a 15A fuse. Any ideas where to tie this wire into so it is only fed when the ignition is in the ON position?????
I think that I pulled the plastic panel off below steering column where you access the fuses and found a wire under there that was not being used that was only on with key powered.

I ran the extra wires on top of the carpet behind the seat belt to/under the plastic between the carpet and the door. This plastic is held in with clips and it pulls right up. Then I pulled the plastic that is by the parking brake and ran the wires up though it. 2 wires then went through a hole I found in the fire wall to the battery positive and the 3rd wire I found a place to attache it under the dash. As I recall there are several wires under the dash that are not used for anything but have keyed power.

In one of my pictures you can see that small section of wire in loom that runs from the seat towards the door. I didn't want to pull the seats back out and the carpet to run the wire like the factory setup is.

Jeff

Old 09-17-2016, 07:47 PM
Av8tor
New User
ok, I need help! I am trying to locate a wire that I can tie into that works only when the ignition is in the "run" position. It needs to be 15A or more so I can run off of it to my heated seats wire (light blue/pink) which is 15A. If anyone knows of an easy wire to get to that I can splice into it please let me know, I would rather use one that is up under the steering column just because its closer than under the hood! I plan using a inline 15A fuse to protect the wire. photos or ideas thanks!!!