1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New heated seats installed in my 99 F-250

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New heated seats installed in my 99 F-250

I just got done swapping the seats in my 1999 F-250 extended cab. I have a Lariat but the seats I had were very neglected from the previous owner and looked bad and I happened to find a set of heated and powered front seats from a 2006 F-350 at a junk yard close to home. The seats look brand new and I scored them and all electrical connectors for 200 bucks! I had a power driver seat all ready but no heat and the passenger side was all manual. Here in MT in the warm winter climate we live in, leather seats need heaters as standard equipment!

The swap was easy, the seats bolts right in and I had to re-wire the driver seat harness to add the wires for the heaters and I had to make my own harness for the passenger side. I have the factory service manuals so I had access to wire schmetic which made the wiring a piece of cake.

While I was there I scored the lower plastic panel on the ash where the cup holders are and it has the factory Ford trailer brake controller and I got new cup holders. MY cup holders were broken and my panel was also chewed up from the previous owner drilling hole to mount stuff. I know the color is not exactly right but it looks way better than what I had before.

I am on the search for a center console so I can take the middle jump seat out all together.

Here are some pictures of everything.

Jeff

Before--------

After---------

Old 12-13-2011, 06:50 AM
japaleno
Junior User

Do you have a good source for the factory service manuals you mentioned? I have a 2001 F250 Platinum, but it didn't come with heated seats either. I've purchased all the 'parts' to make them heated, but the harness inside the seat doesn't mate up with the one coming out of the floor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 AM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by japaleno
Do you have a good source for the factory service manuals you mentioned? I have a 2001 F250 Platinum, but it didn't come with heated seats either. I've purchased all the 'parts' to make them heated, but the harness inside the seat doesn't mate up with the one coming out of the floor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I picked up a factory manual on CD which covers from 1997 through 2008 all Ford products off of Ebay for $18.00, the ad only said 1999-2004 F-Super Duty searies manuals so I was shocked to find all the extra stuff in it.

If your pickup is like mine there is a connector on the floor under the seat that has three wires. One is hot all the time, one is ground and one is for the seat belt indicator in the dash. It is a connector that can have 4 wires but only three are used. The new connector for the heated seats on the driver side has spots for 8 wires but only use 6 so the three additonal wires are as followed. One is hot all the time, one is keyed power and the other just runs over to the passenger seat to provide a power source there.

On the passenger side it is a connector with 4 spots but only uses 3 wires, and one comes from the driver side seat, one is ground and one is hot all the time.

Driver seat heat wires:

Light blue/pink is keyed power.
Red/black is hot all the time.
White/red runs over to the passenger seat.

Driver side power movement wires:

Dark green is hot all the time.
Black is ground.
Brown/ light blue is the seat belt indicator.

Passenger side heat and power movement wires:

Black/white is hot all the time for power movement.
Black is ground.
White/red is from driver seat to provide power for heated seats.

Hopefully that will help you out.

Jeff

Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 AM
japaleno
Junior User

Great, thanks again!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Very nice!!! Do I understand that the heaters are "always on" (with key-on)? I didn't see a switch and you didn't mention one (unless I missed it).

On a more important note, you got me all excited when I saw that factory brake controller from the 2005+!!! I checked, though, and saw your post where you asked about wiring it in. If you figure that out be SURE to document it b/c there are a LOT of people on here - myself included - that would love to do that!!!

Also, is that another glove-box under that IBC? My '02 doesn't have anything there.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:39 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by RUNVS
Very nice!!! Do I understand that the heaters are "always on" (with key-on)? I didn't see a switch and you didn't mention one (unless I missed it).

On a more important note, you got me all excited when I saw that factory brake controller from the 2005+!!! I checked, though, and saw your post where you asked about wiring it in. If you figure that out be SURE to document it b/c there are a LOT of people on here - myself included - that would love to do that!!!

Also, is that another glove-box under that IBC? My '02 doesn't have anything there.

There are switches on the seat to turn the heaters on and off, but they do not turn off until you turn the switch off. If the switch is on and the key is on then there is heat.

As for the brake controller, I looked and since my 99 doesnt have a CAN bus electrical system like the 2005 plus so I am missing data to make the controller work. I am just going to bag that project and put an aftermarket one in the place where the factory one is. I am not sure if the controller will work with out that and I am not sure I want to try it with out it.

That is another glove box as that panel with trailer brake came from a 2006 pickup. I had to drill some new holes but other wise the panel fit in place of my old piece.

Jeff

Old 12-13-2011, 11:14 PM
ak-angler
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Nice job scoring the upgraded seats. I'm jealous.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Sparky04SD
Laughing Gas
Received 126 Likes on 86 Posts
If you want the console out of a 2000 Excursion, its all yours for the freight cost to you from 98264. Sitting in my garage drawing dust. Tan color too. Was about ready to toss it. Used to live in Hardin and worked at Sarpy Creek Coal Mine when it first started up. Sure miss the country.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigblockford_390
There are switches on the seat to turn the heaters on and off, but they do not turn off until you turn the switch off. If the switch is on and the key is on then there is heat.

As for the brake controller, I looked and since my 99 doesnt have a CAN bus electrical system like the 2005 plus so I am missing data to make the controller work. I am just going to bag that project and put an aftermarket one in the place where the factory one is. I am not sure if the controller will work with out that and I am not sure I want to try it with out it.

That is another glove box as that panel with trailer brake came from a 2006 pickup. I had to drill some new holes but other wise the panel fit in place of my old piece.

Jeff
I'm currently working putting '06 seats in to replace my '03 heated, powered seats. I want the continuous heat rather than the current cuts off after about 5 minutes models. Did I understand correctly that when you turn the seats on you can't turn them back off with switch and have to wait until the key turns off? Any special problems that you can think of that I might run into that are different from your project? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive been looking for heated seats for my 99 but was wondering if it was do able?

But now i see it is Im going to look a little harder.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:04 AM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by Vinford
Ive been looking for heated seats for my 99 but was wondering if it was do able?

But now i see it is Im going to look a little harder.
Make sure that you get the pickup side of the harness connectors to the seat when you get yours. The salvage yard I sourced parts though always cuts off 6 inches or so of harenss on the other side so that you have something to work with. If not you could always cut the end off the sea and do something different there but it was sure nice to have the connectors.

My seats came out of a 2005 or 2006 I forget now which year but they bolted right in with no modifications, all I had to do was a little bit of wiring and then done. As you can see in one photo the newer tan seats do not match the color of the old which is clear by my center console seat, but I am going to change that out later. I should have bought the middle seat when I got the others but oh well.

Jeff

Old 01-13-2012, 07:09 AM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by DieselVol
I'm currently working putting '06 seats in to replace my '03 heated, powered seats. I want the continuous heat rather than the current cuts off after about 5 minutes models. Did I understand correctly that when you turn the seats on you can't turn them back off with switch and have to wait until the key turns off? Any special problems that you can think of that I might run into that are different from your project? Thanks in advance.
The switch on the seat is either on or off and my seats do not have any kind of timer built into them. As long as I leave the switch on the seat on and the ignition key is on then I have heated seats. I can shut them off with the switch but unlike most heated seats they do not turn off automaticly after so many minutes.

The seats bolt right in and all you have to do is a little wiring. Since your 03 had heated at least on the driver side it might have the same connector and it would be a plug and play setup. Im not sure if you have heated passenger seats, they were only offered on crew cab models but there is only three wires to run for it and you are done.

Jeff

Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 AM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is a crew cab and does have heat on the passenger side. I'll followup on how I did it when I'm done, as I'm sure lots of people with the cutoff models will be interested.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Evilinkchris
Junior User
Hey man I got a 2000 lariat and seats from an 07 lariat I want to put in the 2000. How does the back seat go in? I got tht crap under the 07 seats. W the four bolts on the front I it can u help? 936-641-3192 u can call if u don't mind

Old 10-11-2013, 02:59 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to throw this out there not knowing what the wiring looks like on the new brake controller, but at least on my e99 there are 2 different style wiring harnesses for the brake controller. One is plug and play to an aftermarket brake controller, and the other group of wires have nothing on the ends, just laying there. Can't you take the factory plug and harness on the new brake controller and splice them to the 99 factory wiring. Just a guess but i'm sure the wires are the same color codes.

Quick Reply: New heated seats installed in my 99 F-250