Fuel Gauge Wiring Help?!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Fuel Gauge Wiring Help?!!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM
cgi2099
Junior User
cgi2099 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel Gauge Wiring Help?!!

Have an 81 F150 4x4 with a 351M, C6 and dual tanks.

I have a different fuel tank selecter valve than whats shown at the parts store, but i know what i have is factory because the valve has motorcraft stamped on it and also the factory wiring hasnt be altered. I'm having troubles finding this part but this is not what the post is about.

Here is what the parts store says i need: Buy BWD Fuel Tank Selector Valve FSV2A at Advance Auto Parts

This is more like whats on my truck: BWD FSV1 - Fuel Tank Selector Valve | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I'm wanting to put an after market fuel gauge in and i need to know what wires to splice into on the factory harness to get it to work.

Thank You,
Josh

Old 12-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
You are right, the O'Reilly part is closer to, if not the, one you need. The one shown at Advance is for the later hard plastic lines, not the rubber ones you should have on the '81.

As for the wire color, can't you look at the switch and find the wire that goes up to the gauge? Or, look at the wires coming from the tanks and you should find them at the switch, so whichever one is left should be the one to the gauge.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:24 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
FROM FRONT TANK SENDER: DARK BLUE/YELLOW STRIPE

FROM REAR TANK SENDER: YELLOW/LIGHT-BLUE HASH

TO GAUGE ON DASH: YELLOW/WHITE STRIPE

Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 PM
cgi2099
Junior User
cgi2099 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Awesome thank you! Do you know which wire is the switched power for the gauge?

Old 12-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
There is no switched power for the gauge. It's powered with the other gauges from the cluster printed circuit board. Off the top of my head, I can't remember where that power comes from that goes to the cluster.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:16 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
All gauges except the ammeter are powered by the Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator (ICVR) on the printed circuit.

Factory gauges operate at something around 5.5 volts, this is so their readings don't vary as the vehicle's voltage changes during normal operation.

The ICVR looks to be fed from a black/light-green-hash wire from the ignition switch (which has an inline resistor in it so voltage will already be somewhat reduced at the ICVR):