6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-25-2014, 01:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD Guides
Print Wikipost

Electronic Locking Rear Differential Question

Old 12-08-2011, 06:37 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutcutter
Works great,wished Ford would give us one for the front end on the FX4 trucks.
I'd almost buy a whole new truck just for that option!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Pitt4212
Junior User
Not sure why people are saying to settle for the 3.55 when the 3.31 is an option. If I can get the 3.31 as an option I WANT the 3.31, otherwise they shouldn't have it as an option, and 1-2 mpg is a a difference over 5 years it pays for half the motor! I am not cheap and not looking at every mile I drive and how the gas mileage is but in researching to buy a truck I want to order the most efficient drivetrain and then I will have no regrets about what I should have done later. Also I just found out today that 3.31 is NOT and option if you build a f-250/350 single rear wheel with 20" rims plow prep or not so I am going with the 3.55 electronic locking rear end by no other option. Signed papers today and can't wait for the next two months to be over!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:13 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the 3.55 vs. 3.31's. I would have got 3.31's also, but it isn't an option with 20" wheels. Not a real big issue I think. My 2010 had 3.55's, 18" wheels, and a 5 speed trans. My 2011 has 3.55's, 20" wheels, and a 6 speed trans. I think it works out pretty well. As for towing - you won't notice much difference, the 6.7 and 6 speed is a tough combo to beat. If you need to drop a gear going down to 5th isn't a big deal. I drop to 5th in regen cycles and it doesn't make the engine scream, just bumps the RPM's up a bit.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:45 AM
JetExpress_6.7
Senior User
Gonna be Dr. Frankenstein here and bring this one back to life, but I purchased a 2014 F250 with the 3.31 open diff and am hoping that I can drop in a elec locking diff relatively easily. Is this possible? Does someone know of the OEM part number for the ELD option?

Old 02-22-2015, 11:44 AM
U235Fishin'
Senior User
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck with Limited Slip and 4x4. One front tire and one back tire spinning. Just because I backed in to hook up to a trailer and had ice or mud under one of the tires. And the opposite tire was on firm ground,

Take the example of pulling off the shoulder of the road and getting the passenger side tires into a snow bank that a plow has pushed up. One tire on pavement , one tire in snow. At least with the locker, the tire on pavement with catch.

As far as leaving it engaged all the time. I wouldn't, Every slow turn you will hear the tires chirp as you wear off excess rubber. Engage it when you need it. Your tires will last a LOT longer and I suspect your rear end will have less wear and tear
I agree with Paint. I do a lot of double track driving and some times it is sloppy clay mud that packs the tire tread. The ELD + 2x4 and ELD + 4x4 are the combinations to get you through, OR get you really stuck if you don't have your head screwed on right.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:52 PM
crb478
Freshman User
I have the ELD with in a 2015 CCSB 250 with 3:31 and 18 inch wheels. I find the electric locker great for getting started without spinning on dirt or muddy roads. I also find it great for backing trailers up hill on those roads. I have a mountain house that has steep narrow roads and getting the truck where you want it the first time without sliding sideways is worth the cost.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:38 PM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Given the options ford has offered over the years. The ELD is the best offering ever. The LSD sucks and isn't work the box it ships in. I'd never pay for the LSD option again in a ford. I'd go open and toss in an Aussie or Spartan lunchbox locker and call it a day.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:22 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
As someone who has driven cars with LSD since the 60's and with ELD since 2002 (FRONT & REAR). They both have their advantages and disadvantages, the best system out there on the Jeep Rubicon came with a LSD & ELD in the rear axle set and ELD in the front, yes both.

I am not sure who makes the Ford units, I ran ARB ELD's in my Dana 60's. If anyone knows please let us know.

Over the years I have seen times when the ELD got me no where and the LSD got me out and vice versa. For the type of extreme off road I have done across the US from FL to Wa and Maine to Mexico the ELD is my go to units.

That said when I ordered my '15 I chose the LSD for their versatility. I am not taking my SD into the extremes of off road, mostly across unpaved ground that is fairly flat compared to the waterfalls we climb on the extreme side of the off road.

Here are some times when ELD is worth its weight in gold, you won't do this with LSD.

My last F 350 did not have LSD or ELD and it took 4 wd just to get up the hill I live on if the road was wet. I think in the long run you will get more use from LSD than if you had ELD.

I am coming out of this bucket at about a 60 degree angle LSD will leave you stranded here

You have to have every tire pulling to get thru things like this

Old 02-23-2015, 10:21 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Locker Verus LS on fords

The ford Limited Slip has a lot to be desired. My 10 has LS and has trouble pushing my trailer up a grasses hill.

For off road towing in mud or snow I love the locker. One of the best option in my book.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 AM
JetExpress_6.7
Senior User
Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI
Given the options ford has offered over the years. The ELD is the best offering ever. The LSD sucks and isn't work the box it ships in. I'd never pay for the LSD option again in a ford. I'd go open and toss in an Aussie or Spartan lunchbox locker and call it a day.
I've heard of Spartan before, but not Aussie. Are they similar designs just different brands? Ultimately looking for the easiest drop in, and relatively cheapest as well (without sacrificing quality), hence why I was searching for the OEM part number for the e-locker.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:38 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Originally Posted by JetExpress_6.7
I've heard of Spartan before, but not Aussie. Are they similar designs just different brands? Ultimately looking for the easiest drop in, and relatively cheapest as well (without sacrificing quality), hence why I was searching for the OEM part number for the e-locker.
They operate the same with the same type parts. The main difference is how the locking pin springs are put in. The aussie locker appears to be a bit easier, but I like that there is no possibility of the springs/pins coming apart in the Spartan as it's all internal. The best part is you don't have to remove the carrier to install where you would with the ELD. The lunchbox would be a better option in an open dif vehicle IMO.

Edit: I have a Spartan unit that I installed on the front axle of my old W250 and I've yet to get her stuck (and I've tried hard)

Old 02-23-2015, 11:15 AM
GCLL
Senior User
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck with Limited Slip and 4x4. One front tire and one back tire spinning. Just because I backed in to hook up to a trailer and had ice or mud under one of the tires. And the opposite tire was on firm ground,

Take the example of pulling off the shoulder of the road and getting the passenger side tires into a snow bank that a plow has pushed up. One tire on pavement , one tire in snow. At least with the locker, the tire on pavement with catch.

As far as leaving it engaged all the time. I wouldn't, Every slow turn you will hear the tires chirp as you wear off excess rubber. Engage it when you need it. Your tires will last a LOT longer and I suspect your rear end will have less wear and tear
This^^

The locker is nice for pulling trailers in a low traction condition. It's saved me a few times because I'm constantly having to pull to the side with a heavy trailer behind me.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:22 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you will be surprised at how seldom the traction control will allow you to spin just one tire. Unless you are making a hard right turn and punch the throttle hard before you get straightened out, the traction control won't allow much wheel slip at all. In that situation, the locker won't do you much good on dry pavement except maybe snap an axle shaft or disintegrate itself.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:31 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,958 Likes on 2,187 Posts
Originally Posted by 720Deere
I think you will be surprised at how seldom the traction control will allow you to spin just one tire. Unless you are making a hard right turn and punch the throttle hard before you get straightened out, the traction control won't allow much wheel slip at all. In that situation, the locker won't do you much good on dry pavement except maybe snap an axle shaft or disintegrate itself.

Hello there Matt! Great to see you posting around here

Old 02-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
^^^^ X2 Matt ^^^^

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electronic Locking Rear Differential Question