Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Transmission coolant line routing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 PM
finitetime
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission coolant line routing.

When I replaced my E40d trans i couldn't be sure I could get all the metal out of the radiator. I installed an aftermarket trans cooler in front of the radiator and bypassed the radiator. I have now replaced the radiator and want to hook the radiator up in tandem with aux trans cooler I installed earlier. The problem is I forgot which line went to which side of the radiator. Do you guys know which line goes where?

Old 12-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the radiator to engine? or radiator to tranny cooler? if its radiator to engine, the bottom one goes on the left side of the engine, the top one goes into the top of the engine on the right side.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 PM
finitetime
Senior User
not the the coolant lines. The transmission lines to the radiator.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:40 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Either hole doesn't matter. Theres no flow directions in those things. (not 100% sure though)

I know on my motorhome, the trans out line goes to the drivers side hole, then out the passenger side and up to the Aux cooler, then back out the Aux cooler and back to trans.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:53 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
oh man i never liked that idea because if your not going down the road,your trans temps can really climb!
do anything at all off road and you could cook her quick lol.heck even driving slow in summer heat (under 35 mph with an unlocked converter) even empty for just 10-20 minutes i bet the temps get scary. ......off road play,or plowing.....smoked trans for sure if you don't slap her in park or neutral to rest a bit.in that case though,i doubt she'd cool.probably just keep climbing until you can get going 35 lockup again.
well that's good you decided to hook the rads part back up.
hmm i don't know as if it's inlet/outlet specific is it? trying to think of a good reason as to why it would be,but nothings coming to mind.it may be and just don't recall it.i likely just kept things the same way of course when i swapped rads.
hey,thinking now for a sec,i have my temp sensor in line BEFORE the fluid cools,so i know the hottest actual trans fluid temps.i have this over on the drivers side,and then exiting out on the pass side up to my t-stat-filter-aux air cooler.
there ya go.had to think on that one.

so here is what you want;
front line of trans (out flow of fluid) into drivers side of rad (best place for t-stat/external filter fyi) - pass side of rad - aux cooler - rear line on trans (cool fluid returns.)
but still trying to figure out if it matters which side of the rad you enter/exit,and im still drawing a blank.can't think of any reason why it would matter.
oh i see i type slow still lol.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:10 PM
finitetime
Senior User
ford250 my other cooler is mounted on my radiator so it gets just as much air as the radiator. the only diff is that it doesn't get heated up by the engine coolant. Your transmission fluid can only be as cold as the radiator. you ever put your arm on the radiator while adding oil. Its hot!!!! mine will come out of the radiator and then go into another cooler that will only be has hot has the radiator going in and cooled down by the air passing over it without engine heat adding to it. It's better than the factory setup.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:57 PM
finitetime
Senior User
Thanks guys.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The line that comes from the forward trans connector goes to the left side of the rad (it points in that direction)..

The line that comes from the rear of the trans goes the cooler, the other cooler line goes the rad right side......

Left and right from the drivers seat........

Old 12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by finitetime
ford250 my other cooler is mounted on my radiator so it gets just as much air as the radiator. the only diff is that it doesn't get heated up by the engine coolant. Your transmission fluid can only be as cold as the radiator. you ever put your arm on the radiator while adding oil. Its hot!!!! mine will come out of the radiator and then go into another cooler that will only be has hot has the radiator going in and cooled down by the air passing over it without engine heat adding to it. It's better than the factory setup.
it doesn't work that way.i once thought so too,but Mark recently corrected my misunderstanding of this.
my tests of T-stat placement verifies the same (along with my temps gauge and point and shoot tool.)
not having a water cooled cooler but air cooler only is not better than factory it really isn't.im going to guess you feel this way,because you don't have a trans temp gauge? or you haven't been stuck in traffic yet.no matter though really,your doing the right thing now.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:14 PM
finitetime
Senior User
Ford250
It will be run through the radiator and then through the aux cooler. Not just through the new aux cooler. So at speeds it will be cooled down to the radiator temp. From there It will go through the air cooled system.