Sponsored by:

Control Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 PM
DogDoc94
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Control Issues

Hey guys, need some help. Bought 05 Limited 4X4 Ex 6.0 PSD a few months ago with 95 K miles on it for primary use to pull 32' 9 K TT.

Took a 500 mile trip in Ex and no TT and had lot of wierd steering feed back on the trip on the hwy at speeds 60 plus. Meet RedEx on the forums and he has given me alot of great advise and working through the problems.

Took the Ex to suspension shop and they said front end looked good but steering box was toast so they replaced. After that I still felt the same handleing issues but was able to correct easier. So had a tire guy look at the used tires on the Ex and he said that fronts had scallop on the tread that only comes from worn out shocks. So I did "V" Code springs (new) on the fronts and Mod. "B" code springs (Used) on the rears. Placed new 30 mm rear sway bar, and new bilstein shocks all the way around. Also put a new set of Michlein M/S2 285/75/R16 on the stock rims.
Post swap measurements:

DF = 39 1/4" PF = 40"
DR = 41 3/4" PR = 42 1/2"

We have scratched our heads at why we got 3/4" difference from driver side to passenger side.

Took the Ex on a 300 mile drive and still felt bad. Started playing with tire pressure. Have run anywhere from 70 psi all the way around to 50 in fronts and 55 in rears. Seems to track better at the lower pressure but still not right.

Took it to another frame / front end shop and they said the front end looks good as well but alignment was slightly "toe out" and they adjusted to slight "toe in". With the new alignment and lower tire pressue has handled better but still not right to me.

RedEx advised that maybe I needed to greese the front end and see if would help so I did. This really did help alot but still has a bit of a weird feel at times. Only ball joint that has a greese zerk is the driver upper so I assume it has been changed and there is no zerk on the others so I assume they are stock. All the boots covering the joints in the steering joints are dry rotted and the joints are exposed when you greese.

RedEx is thinking maybe my joints are tight so the front end shops think they are ok but maybe they are dry and getting steering memory issue. He felt I should post here and get some others feed back.

The feeling I am getting when driving is hard for me to explain. If on a smooth road or driving around town under 45 mph, it drives straight and feels fine. But when on rutted or bumpy roads it seems kind of jumpy going over the bumps and then feels like it kinda of darts left or right. Also gives a weird sensation when at speeds of 65 or higher and you left of the accelerator like coming into a turn, it gives you a feeling of floating. Basically you really have to pay attention to it driving at speed because it feels kinda of squirrly on the front. When on rough interstate in traffic, it is two handed driving. All these issues are made worse when the travel trailer is hooked up and can't really get above 55 mph and always working to correct left and right and doesn't want to track straight.

What do you experts think?

Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 928 Likes on 676 Posts
95K (if) original ball joints is amazing. I'd spend the $99 on a set of 4 + $ to install (XRF thread here). IMO that wierd feel is worn ball joints and a loose steering box (yours is new, maybe a little adjustment?). Also IMO scalloped tires are a part of owning a 4x4 'scursion - keep 'em rotated. Even when new the front Firestone Steeltex's wore the same.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:20 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
mine did the same thing until the drag link was replaced.

Honestly, There are several things that can allow this to happen.

Bump steer from over size tires. A bad steering dampener. Worn Ball joints. Axle wrap from the rear. A bad Track bar. Too little camber. Tie rods. Bad steering box. Pitman arm loose or worn. Bad shocks. Shocks that are too short or too long. Worn out track bar bushings.

And on and on and on. It really is a matter of a process of elimination.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
I agree to look at ball joints, trac bar and tie rods. My ball joints looked tight until I took them out. It was clear they were bad. Since only one is for sure new, consider getting all of them done at the same time. Build the foundation solid then work up from there.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

What steering gear did they put on?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Road Active Suspension might help with some of your issues.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:24 PM
DogDoc94
New User
Originally Posted by njneer1
What steering gear did they put on?

Don't know, think they just replaced with Ford stock. Got recommendation later for "Red Head" I think. Should have asked first. Steering feels pretty tight since replacement and handles great on smooth roads and/or at lower speeds.

Thanks for all the great advice so far guys, sounds like all good ideas and seems maybe the consensus is to replace the the ball joints as a starting place.

Any ideas from anyone why the height difference between driver and passenger side? And can ya'll think of any link between that and the handling issues?

Last question. Can anyone make a recommendation for a performance shop that has experience with the psd 6.0 to help me do "bullet proof" work in the North Austin area?