6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Slight Jerking/Studder becoming noticable

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:37 AM
bigredkacy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight Jerking/Studder becoming noticable

I need some advice.

I went to the dealer, and a local mechanic and they said not to worry if the check engine light isnt on. Which it is not.

The issue: When driving the truck once in a while i feel a slight studder/jerking @ idle and when i get 50-60 mph. I get off the gas and get back into it and it is fine. Then when it is at a idle you can hardly feel it.

Specs on the truck:
  • 04 6.0 f250 - 130,000 Miles
  • EGR Delete, Oil Cooler, ARP Studs @ 115,000
  • Riff Raff Tubes
  • Edge Attitude Tuner
  • Oil changes - every 5k miles, Air filter (stock) @ 125,000, Fuel filters every 10k - Last @ 127.000, Transmission Filter @ 120,00
  • Edge Attitude Tuner
What can it be?
I was thinking a injector going bad, but they said they dont think so since no check engine light is going on.
Then i thought turbo vanes clogged?

Thanks for the help

Old 11-17-2011, 03:56 AM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Well first thing you can have injector going or almost gone and have no light or soft code for that matter . I just had and injector go ran like sh-t for a week then got two codes but never a light . You may have a injector stiction problem going on you could try revex to see if it helps . Also have your truck scaned for codes they can be there without a light.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 AM
bigredkacy
Junior User
Originally Posted by wulfman
Well first thing you can have injector going or almost gone and have no light or soft code for that matter . I just had and injector go ran like sh-t for a week then got two codes but never a light . You may have a injector stiction problem going on you could try revex to see if it helps . Also have your truck scaned for codes they can be there without a light.
No codes came up with the snap-on scanner.

What is the revex? Did you use this to fix your injector?

Old 11-17-2011, 06:24 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,468 Likes on 1,710 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredkacy
I need some advice.

Specs on the truck:
  • 04 6.0 f250 - 130,000 Miles
  • EGR Delete, Oil Cooler, ARP Studs @ 115,000
  • Riff Raff Tubes
  • Edge Attitude Tuner
  • Oil changes - every 5k miles, Air filter (stock) @ 125,000, Fuel filters every 10k - Last @ 127.000, Transmission Filter @ 120,00
  • Edge Attitude Tuner
Thanks for the help
I think the problem might be running two Edge tuners at once ..........

sorry, I couldn't resist

Tracking down these issues when there are no codes is pretty hard. It can be the tuner, an injector, the turbo, sticking EGR valves, ICP or IPR, etc.

What oil are you using and when was it last changed (and what filter was used)?

It would be good if you had a way to monitor the ICP and IPR duty cycles (ScangaugeII is about the best value for this type of troubleshooting). An autoenginuity can do injector tests - but that is $350 or so. Where is your ICP sensor located - passenger valve cover or buried behind the turbo?

Find another dealership. They know that you CAN have codes without a CEL, they just didn't want to mess with you for whatever reason. Having a tuner can make it harder for them. Does it still do it when you go back to stock? Do you now what your fuel pressure is at WOT? Lots of fuel systems don't provide enough fuel pressure stock (at WOT), so add a tuner and the pressure can really dip. This can slowly cause injectors to fail (under 45 psig is bad for injectors).

Old 11-17-2011, 11:33 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
I think the probnlem might be running two Edge tuners at once ..........
Comedy night already?

When my truck cracked an injector in September it wasn't throwing a code but would stumble on the highway. When you stopped, it would sometimes rough idle...but it wasn't all the time at first. I had to do a contribution test with AE to find the problem. If you had a cracked injector (like mine) you would have a gray-ish cloud coming out the tailpipe. No smoke? Then I have my doubts on the injector, but you'll still need to check for PSD specific codes to know what's going on. I don't know just how well "informed" a Snap-On code reader is...but I know on the engine it's self, you just about have to have a reader specifically set-up for a PowerStroke before you'll ever get an information from the PCM. You might check in your local FTE chapter (California right?) to see if there is someone near by that has an AE...and willing to help you figure out what the issue is. Or take it to another dealer. If they can't find what's causing the stumble/rough idle...they don't need to be working on the truck, IMHO.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:37 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Double post for some reason...Oops!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Jim83
Senior User
There are several people who are experiencing the same exact thing including myself...
It stumbles in between 50-55 and first start of the day so cold engine condition.Still this date no one has found out the reason that i have seen. I hate when my truck does it. People say injector this injector injector that...But why wouldn't it do it at all speeds.... Why just between 50-55mph in the final gear.
I would love if some one could find out the answer to our problems.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:22 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Jim83
It stumbles in between 50-55 and first start of the day so cold engine condition. Still this date no one has found out the reason that i have seen. I hate when my truck does it. People say injector this injector injector that...But why wouldn't it do it at all speeds.... Why just between 50-55mph in the final gear.
It has to do with load on the engine. Assuming your running a 3.73 in the rear end with stock tires, at 50-55 you should be turning 1700-ish RPM. Right in the middle of the torque power band (starts at about 1500, tops out at 2k). When mine cracked the injector...still no idea why it did...I noticed the stumble at 55mph coming out of a construction zone on the interstate. As the truck accelerated past 60-65mph the stutter went away for a while. As soon as the engine settled back into it's "highway cruise load" the stumble came back. The cause of the failure could be several different things; cracking an injector like mine did just seems to be one of those "it happens" ordeals. My fuel pressure holds steady at 60-62 psi; and I'm religious on not working the truck until the engine has had time to warm up.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM
bigredkacy
Junior User
Originally Posted by bismic
I think the probnlem might be running two Edge tuners at once ..........

sorry, I couldn't resist
DOH, good one to lighten up the mood. The jerking is more noticeable with the tuner on "3 - Drive Mode" then when off stock, but on stock you can feel it

Tracking down these issues when there are no codes is pretty hard. It can be the tuner, an injector, the turbo, sticking EGR valves, ICP or IPR, etc.

What oil are you using and when was it last changed (and what filter was used)?
Rotella 10-40, you know the local store didnt have this 2 oil changes ago so i went with Valvoline Blue @ 120,000 and that is when it started, i thought it was the fuel filters so i changed them and it helped a little. and i changed oil @ 123,000 again to rotella and it helped a little more. The most recent change is @ 130,000.

It would be good if you had a way to monitor the ICP and IPR duty cycles (ScangaugeII is about the best value for this type of troubleshooting). An autoenginuity can do injector tests - but that is $350 or so. Where is your ICP sensor located - passenger valve cover or buried behind the turbo?
You know i have no idea where the ICP sensor is located

Find another dealership. They know that you CAN have codes without a CEL, they just didn't want to mess with you for whatever reason. Having a tuner can make it harder for them. Does it still do it when you go back to stock? Do you now what your fuel pressure is at WOT? Lots of fuel systems don't provide enough fuel pressure stock (at WOT), so add a tuner and the pressure can really dip. This can slowly cause injectors to fail (under 45 psig is bad for injectors).
I put the tuner on stock and it is still there, not as noticeable, but there.
I dont know with the PSI is, i was thinking a pump also, but not to sure, since diesel is a new field to me.

Thanks for the help, ill have to take it in to get some readings and love.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:43 PM
bigredkacy
Junior User
Originally Posted by zhilton
Comedy night already?

When my truck cracked an injector in September it wasn't throwing a code but would stumble on the highway. When you stopped, it would sometimes rough idle...but it wasn't all the time at first. I had to do a contribution test with AE to find the problem. If you had a cracked injector (like mine) you would have a gray-ish cloud coming out the tailpipe. No smoke? Then I have my doubts on the injector, but you'll still need to check for PSD specific codes to know what's going on. I don't know just how well "informed" a Snap-On code reader is...but I know on the engine it's self, you just about have to have a reader specifically set-up for a PowerStroke before you'll ever get an information from the PCM. You might check in your local FTE chapter (California right?) to see if there is someone near by that has an AE...and willing to help you figure out what the issue is. Or take it to another dealer. If they can't find what's causing the stumble/rough idle...they don't need to be working on the truck, IMHO.
Thanks for the information and time to respond.

I am not blowing any unusual smoke, only a little black when i push her hard. Your issue is the same as i am having, i will have to take it to the another dealer. The one i took it to has bad ratings for customer service, i shoulda looked 1/5 stars and 90 ratings lol.

What is FTE?

It stumbles in between 50-55 and first start of the day so cold engine condition. Still this date no one has found out the reason that i have seen. I hate when my truck does it. People say injector this injector injector that...But why wouldn't it do it at all speeds.... Why just between 50-55mph in the final gear.
Have you taken in the truck to see if any codes are present? Also have you had the PSI of fuel rail and Injectors tested?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:48 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
I am not blowing any unusual smoke, only a little black when i push her hard. Your issue is the same as i am having, i will have to take it to the another dealer. The one i took it to has bad ratings for customer service, i shoulda looked 1/5 stars and 90 ratings lol.
I wouldn't say that's normal...but mine does create a haze when I take it to "full power rocket ship up the on-ramp" mode. I use the excuse I'm exercising the vanes on the turbo charger...but truth be-told I'm just really enjoying the power.
What is FTE?
Ford Truck Enthusiasts, this forum. There are local state chapters that some guys (like myself) are apart of. Most of them have some kind of get together a couple times a year. It's also nice to discover someone that might be nearby who speaks powerstroke fluently when your having a problem.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:13 PM
EXbowtieguy
Senior User
Weird thing this stumble issue..... That's EXACTLY the same symptoms I had EXACTLY!!!!

Had the EBP sensor replaced (no joy) , then my head gasket went (unrelated I'm assuming) , while it was down I had a list of stuff done and the only one to my knowledge that coulda fixed my "stutter" was a new IPR valve and HPOP (all the other stuff should've been unrelated) but my stutter is gone.

Anyone noticed that the stumble issue seems just as prevalent as puking HG's , EgR coolers and what not yet harder to diagnose..... Guess it's because ALOT of stuff could cause it ? A blown head gasket is blown so to speak.....

Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 PM
scameron
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribing

yeah, been dealing with this for a couple years now. it's now gotten so bad the truck has lost a ton of power and blows a lot of smoke at start up and driving down the road after a 20 min warm up. it will even fire up, run a few seconds and die. sorry, i don't know what is causing the problem, but i think i am going to take it to ford and have them diagnose it. i figure a bad injector or several. anyone local to me that can scan this truck. i live about an hour east of Columbus Ohio. I'm afraid ford will over charge me just to diagnose it.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:47 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
I had the same thing with no codes and always only at 50-60mph. I replaced the ICP sensor and pigtails and now it's smooth.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:50 PM
scameron
Senior User
Originally Posted by High Binder
I had the same thing with no codes and always only at 50-60mph. I replaced the ICP sensor and pigtails and now it's smooth.
yep no codes on my truck either. it's an 05.

Quick Reply: Slight Jerking/Studder becoming noticable