NMB2
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it will never work.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:42 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just ordered my tubing for the new crossover, should be here friday, just in time for the weekend.

My driveshaft is all balanced out and ready to pick up, so Ill do that tomorrow.

Didnt make it to the welding shop to get more gas, I got caught up in other bs, but tomorrow I will will, and ill get some more pics of progress...

Old 05-30-2013, 12:29 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Here is some pics of tonights progress...

Got my driveshafts painted and installed, and because the rear balanced out with less counterweight than a factory shaft, I felt I could put a sticker on it, being how I built it and all... This was my first retubing of a driveshaft ... I shortened the one in my bronco myself, but never have gone this far, lets see if I can fold the bitch up...

Name:  DSC01263_zps1ce20896.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  43.3 KB
Name:  DSC01264_zpsdefb7e19.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  43.3 KB
Name:  DSC01265_zps3471fc37.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  50.8 KB
Name:  DSC01268_zpsa09cebd8.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  60.5 KB

Also got my Walbro mounted, and filters back into the truck...

Name:  DSC01262_zps28bc643a.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  48.2 KB
Name:  DSC01266_zps6f04c5e1.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  45.2 KB

Anyway... more soon.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:15 PM
turtlemann14
Elder User
idk if i like it sucking fuel through the first filter...

i would have put an air bleed on the line coming out of the second filter. easy as a block with a #80 hole in it routed into the return line. (hole facing up of course)

how far are you from a video. just the up pipes?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking good. Fuel injection clamps won't screw the hose up... Less likely to leak down the road.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Thanks for the pics of your filter/pump mount! looks good.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by turtlemann14

i would have put an air bleed on the line coming out of the second filter. easy as a block with a #80 hole in it routed into the return line. (hole facing up of course)

Cant run unfiltered fuel through an electric pump, it will burn em up ASAP... ask me how i know.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster

I have to have it run through the Pre-filter first as Mike said, I have no in tank filter, just a brass fitting on the end of a hose. The Walbro's are decent pumps, but one foreign object, and that is $100 out of my pocket.

Whats the idea behind the air bleed? My system is a return style system, so it will purge any air as soon as the pump fires up.

No, I have lots of little stuff to tie up, and I still have to weld up my pipes. Still waiting on my bumpers and box to come back from powdercoat as well. I hope to get most everything tied up this weekend, its just a few little things holding me up. This week hasnt been very good for time, my wife went back to work, so Ive been watching my daughter for a couple days this week into the evening, and only had limited time to work on the truck.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bashby
Looking good. Fuel injection clamps won't screw the hose up... Less likely to leak down the road.
You know, I was at the auto parts store, and I had both style clamps in my hands, but I ended up with these because Ive never had any issues with them, and the FI clamps looked like they could be a pain in the *** in the future. I guess I could have gone that route, If they ever start leaking, I will.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet work..can't wait for the Dyno #s...

Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by speedwrench72
Sweet work..can't wait for the Dyno #s...
Thanks, and me either.

I dont normally throw out numbers, because even though I always have a number in my head, there is too many little things (like fuel supply, clutch, blah, blah, blah) that can interfere, but I feel confident enough with my pumps bench numbers, and with how much air this turbo has flown on other engines, that I think I will put down around 420rwhp and just over 800ft/lbs at the wheels, and maybe even more with water/meth, but it all depends on if everything holds up and and there is no little issue to jam up the works.

I am going to do an injector test dyno day as well, and the injectors that I will test out first here, and fire the truck on will be a set of stroked injectors, that will hopefully act like stockers at low fuel flow (idle, cruise, etc.) and flow big fuel at WOT, reducing the duration and load on the pump, even with a high pop pressure. The dyno will tell us what we have all been wondering about the injectors on these things.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 AM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
Thanks, and me either.

I dont normally throw out numbers, because even though I always have a number in my head, there is too many little things (like fuel supply, clutch, blah, blah, blah) that can interfere, but I feel confident enough with my pumps bench numbers, and with how much air this turbo has flown on other engines, that I think I will put down around 420rwhp and just over 800ft/lbs at the wheels, and maybe even more with water/meth, but it all depends on if everything holds up and and there is no little issue to jam up the works.

I am going to do an injector test dyno day as well, and the injectors that I will test out first here, and fire the truck on will be a set of stroked injectors, that will hopefully act like stockers at low fuel flow (idle, cruise, etc.) and flow big fuel at WOT, reducing the duration and load on the pump, even with a high pop pressure. The dyno will tell us what we have all been wondering about the injectors on these things.
Are you going to do all the injector dynos on the same day or are you doing each dyno on a different day?

Old 05-31-2013, 04:24 PM
turtlemann14
Elder User
didn't know that e pumps were that fragile.

if it were me i would put an air bleed down there so that the whole line stays full.
even with a bypass system i figure you could still get air to the ip (a lot less of course).

you mean to tell me you don't have her out there wrenching yet? lol

Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
didn't know that e pumps were that fragile.

if it were me i would put an air bleed down there so that the whole line stays full.
even with a bypass system i figure you could still get air to the ip
Yes 90% of the time when you buy an inline e-pump it has a fixed inline filter in front of it.

I dont think youre understanding how his fuel system work, the second the key is on its circulating fuel. It would have all the air out of the system before the glow plugs kick off, assuming there was air there in the first place.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 PM
whalebus2112
Senior User
Build looks great! How soon do you think the intercooler piping will be ready for sale and do you have a ball park on the price yet? The piping is the only thing holding me back from this project. I can bend tube but suck at cutting angles and this would be a real time saver. Thanks, I will even buy your proto type for the right price

Quick Reply: Project: Smogie...RacinNdrummins IDI build