1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

My 65 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Lrgfather
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 65 Build

I've been on the site for a while and figured someone may wanna look at a few pics of my slow 65 F100 build. So here it goes.....

This truck has been in the county where I live since 1972. I remember it very well from high school way back in 1984-86, it belonged to my Architect teacher, Mr. Brooks. We occasionally worked on the truck in the autoshop next door doing random maintenance and repair. He always kept the truck in good shape and drove it everywhere. The truck was originally bought brand new in Tenn by his uncle who only got to drive it for a few years before he passed away. Mr. Brooks tired a few times to buy the truck from his aunt after it sat in a barn for several years. She refused, citing that she was going to start driving it, well after doing so and falling out of it breaking her arm, Mr Brooks became the new owner shortly thereafter in 1972. Fast forward 30 years, Mr. Brooks retired from teaching and began to travel and sold the truck to an older local couple in 2002. They kept and used the truck for 8 years doing absolutely no maintenance, I often wonder if they even changed the oil. It was put up for sale in their front yard the first few months of 2010. This is where I come in, while driving around one day at work, I spotted the truck for sale and could'nt belive the truck was still around. After talking with the owners on and off for about a week, we struck a deal and I brought her home. I was actually competing with someeone else to buy the truck at the time but the seller sold it to me cheaper than the other guy offered. She said she made her decision because she liked the fact I had a connection to the truck. I also have all the original paperwork and repair documents since it was new. So, here are the pics when I first got it, I'll keep posting the progress I've made since then as I go along.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Lrgfather
Junior User
So, the first thing on the agenda after gathering the parts was to put on ps,pb, front disks and a clutch in it, we took over to a friends shop. He's an older gentlemen who is a retired micro-machinist and has probably forgotten more about mechanical enginering than I will ever know. Anyway, he has an entire machine shop at his place. In return for the use of his shop, we kinda look after him and his wife, my buddy more so than me, we just try to keep the scam artist away and help em out when they need it, their children all live out of state. So I figured I might as well pull the engine to do the clutch, check out the engine and hopefully get away with just re-sealing it and do a little painting.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:59 PM
huckdeuceman
Senior User
What a nice story'' sounds like it was ment to be yours!..Truck looks real solid from the pic's, a custom cab according to the side trim, and it should have a chrome front bumper?, I would check and see if it was painted over? as far as the rear bumper, they may have ordered that from the dealer? anyway, nice to see someone Bringing it back to life!...enjoy it and ''Happy Trails''...

Old 10-28-2011, 09:57 AM
vinnieferg
New User
65 F100

Bought a 65 F100 240 1bbl 3speed short box from my sis in Ga. Had it hauled to me here in Wi. Body is very solid.had it running after draining the gas..popping and banging. Assuming points plugs wires etc..should rectify that and timing of course..Need to wait til spring now to work on it though..will post some pics later......

Old 10-28-2011, 09:59 AM
vinnieferg
New User
might have to pick some brains getting project started..

Old 10-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Lrgfather
Junior User
Originally Posted by vinnieferg
Bought a 65 F100 240 1bbl 3speed short box from my sis in Ga. Had it hauled to me here in Wi. Body is very solid.had it running after draining the gas..popping and banging. Assuming points plugs wires etc..should rectify that and timing of course..Need to wait til spring now to work on it though..will post some pics later......
Definately like to see some pics, might consider a carb rebuild too if it's been sitting for a while.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Lrgfather
Junior User
Next up was the front disk swap. The donor spindles and rotors came off of a 78 F150 and I chose to swap only the spindles trying to keep as much of the original parts such as the I beams but still get the upgrades I want. The kingpins and bushings from the 78 were in great shape so I reused them.

Drums off

So, by using the new spindles with the older tie rods we ran into a little problem. The older tie rod stud was to short for the castle nut to tighten down far enough to get the cotter pin through. Solution, machine down the spindle, so we walked back to the milling machine and shaved a little off

Install complete..

Old 10-28-2011, 01:41 PM
OldHarley
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great heartwarming story. Glad you ended up with the truck.

Chrome bumpers were an option so painted bumpers would be fine, although they would have been painted white, not the truck's color.

I noticed you removed the rear bumper to install the front disks; probably not a necessary step

Seriously though, are you are going back to a stock look? I ask since I see factory hubcabs in the front seat?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:12 PM
vinnieferg
New User
VIN#

Originally Posted by Lrgfather
Definately like to see some pics, might consider a carb rebuild too if it's been sitting for a while.
Def. going too rebuild the carb. I checked the vin# and it says it's built sept. 64 and the engine is a 223 114hp.. Is there a way to tell on the block or head??
I have pics on my laptop that I will post later..
Heading up north for some fishing for a week shortly..will post when I return.
Thanks for the reply!!
This will go nicely with my 1970 Electraglide. Now need an old Shasta "winged" camper to pull behind the truck...really retro.lol

Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 PM
sixwacker
New User
Sweet Ride!!

Wow ! A 65 shortbed Custom Cab-How cool !! You're building it up in the right order -better brakes first.Persoally I use a manual master cylinder for mine-but I like the old truck feel.I am inthe collecting parts mode for power steering because I'm getting old.There are lots of upgrades for the old Clipper Six-some not too expensive.Electronic ignition from later 300-6 can be adapted by changing the drivegear onthe distribuor-so I've heard,anyway.The old Autolite carbs were always crap-a better one would be a Carter 1-bbl froma 70ish 300.Lotsa potential.Fenton might even repop a split exhaust,or maybe an original on Ebay.Those 3 mods make a very noticable difference in driveablity.
Old trucks are better than wives- I've had my 65 longbed standard cab for over 35 years and I couldn't imagine being without it-The wife ,well at least she's a good cook.
Enjoy your self completely dude .Have you noticed that everybody asks about it anywher you drive it.If not you will.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:18 PM
sixwacker
New User
More info

I looked at your pics ,they look remarkably like a 240.I could be wrong,my eyesight 's not too good.Make sure before you make a big mistake .Whatever it is ,check out www.fordsix.com tons of info.That's where I found a lot of my ideas.Good luck!!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM
95stepside
Elder User

Originally Posted by OldHarley
I noticed you removed the rear bumper to install the front disks; probably not a necessary step
Then obviously you've never tried doing a brake job with the bumpers on... lol

Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 PM
mblayton
More Turbo
That is one nice truck. Great story too.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:49 AM
shovelmike
Freshman User
Looks Great

You are really making me miss my 66 F 100, 352, 4 spd. red and white 2 tone. The cab mounts and entire passenger floorboard rusted away, I wish I'd kept it and found someone to rebuild that stuff now. I've had numerous Ford trucks since, but it was the toughest and classiest.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:17 PM
E-Mo
New User
Started reading thread and it seemed like I read this story a while ago... still good though and a nice looking truck. I guess I'm just online too much Down N Dirty Offroad! - View topic - 1965 Ford F100

Quick Reply: My 65 Build