2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found A New Truck!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:41 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Found A New Truck!

So as my truck ha gone over 100k and i have finally got out from upside down i have starting looking for a low mileage truck to give me some peice of mind and lower my monster payment. And im sure alot of you guys know of the torture i have gone through with my '04.

So here is what i found. It is basically my exact truck that i have now, 4 years newer and 62k miles less. Its a red 2008 STX 4x4 Super Cab with 44k miles. It looks exactly like my truck. But with power windows and locks. 4.8 just like mine also. I drove it tonight and even though its the same setup, it drives, rides, and handles so much better than mine. Even with the Edge in mine, this one feels like it has more power. Its extremely clean also. The tires still have 9/32s left which are the same as i have on mine.

They are asking 22k for it and want to give me 7k for mine. Which im not settling for that. My truck is a '04 Super Cab with 106k on it, plain jane STX, mechanically its strong, thanks to this wesbsite and my elbow grease, and exterior is good.

Im going to try and low ball them cause the owner of the dealership is the brother of my boss, and ive bought 2 cars there prior. So let me know if you guys think of this and if im way off base. I want to offer them 20k for it and ask 9k for my trade. I dont think thats too far off. Kelly Blue Book puts my truck for trade-in in good condition at $9300. So what do you guys think, does that sound reasonable. If they can do that im good to go. And i might throw a couple hundred down at it just so they know im serious about this. Plus because it runs so good, ill probably be able to pull the edge out before hand and sell it for maybe $200. If they would bite at that it woud lowe my payment by over $100 a month.

Oh, and its a nice truck!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:57 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I say do what makes you happy and is affordable. I almost traded my truck in on a lifted F350 CC Lariat this week but the CFO wasn't having any of it. Payments would have been less but she didn't like the idea of a bigger truck.
If it sounds like a good deal for you...the go with it. IMO 22k sounds about 2k too high.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:04 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Ya I guess I was just wanting to know if the money that I want for my trade and want to offer for that truck are reasonable

Old 10-22-2011, 05:44 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
The value held by used trucks right now is borderline stupid. In many cases, a new truck can be had for a few G's less than a used one, had a full warranty and typically better financing rates which all equates to money.

While I would never try to convince anyone to do anything, I would strongly suggest a look see.

My questions to the OP: Would you be willing to pay 20K for the used truck in question if you had no trade?

If the dealer offered you $9500 for yours against a new truck, would you be interested?

Don't misunderstand me here, I love the '04-'08 model trucks. But I love an overall great deal better.

My point: In June I bought a 2011 F-150 4x4 Scab XLT with the ecoboost engine. The XLT these days is really a low end truck in Ford's enormous portfolio of options and trims.

The truck retailed for $37K and I was out the door after TTL for around 31K. No trade and just 9K higher than the '08 that you're interested in. Now, the rebates are stronger than in June, the dealers are motivated than 4-6 months ago and with trade in, a truck like mine could probably be had for very low 20's out the door.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:36 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^good point. Also, 100K is not that many miles. I thought you had all the kinks worked out on your truck now.

You'll get way better than $9300 if you sell your truck yourself-even if you sold under bluebook to move it quick. And 20K is not low ball- start lower than that!

...why couldn't you put the Gryphon on the 08 (if you end up getting it)?

BTW, I paid $15K even for my '06 4x4 STX SCAB w/44K miles two years ago.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
I do have most of kinks worked out, and i understand what you guys are saying about values. But here is the reason behind some of this. My wife and I are having a baby in the spring, and they are not cheap. So im looking everywhere i can to save money "now". My vehicle is one of those options. I can do one of two things, refinance my truck for more years and get a lower payment, or get a newer really lower mileage truck with a warranty with a lower payment. Obviously im not strapped to get out of this truck right now, so if i dont feel comfortable with the deal im fine with that, and keep looking.

I know 100k miles isnt what it used to be, but here is how i see my truck. Everything that could go wrong with these trucks seems to have happened to me. So now with alot more powertrain and suspension parts still being original on my truck with that many miles, i can only imagine whats going to need replaced next.

So that is my figuring. My intent with this thread wasnt to seek people to help me feel better about a truck i was thinking about, it was mostly for value purpose, to see if what i was thinking about offering and asking for the said truck and my original truck is reasonable, if its not out of the question, then ill try it, if i dont get it, ill probably pass cause anything more would not be a deal for me personally.

Oh and about the edge, the only reason i got mine was to give the 4.6 in my original truck a pick me up, which it did, but this new one runs better by itself than my original 4.6 with the edge.

Thanks for the input guys!

Old 10-22-2011, 04:25 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by xjcamaro89
I do have most of kinks worked out, and i understand what you guys are saying about values. But here is the reason behind some of this. My wife and I are having a baby in the spring, and they are not cheap. So im looking everywhere i can to save money "now". My vehicle is one of those options. I can do one of two things, refinance my truck for more years and get a lower payment, or get a newer really lower mileage truck with a warranty with a lower payment. Obviously im not strapped to get out of this truck right now, so if i dont feel comfortable with the deal im fine with that, and keep looking.

I know 100k miles isnt what it used to be, but here is how i see my truck. Everything that could go wrong with these trucks seems to have happened to me. So now with alot more powertrain and suspension parts still being original on my truck with that many miles, i can only imagine whats going to need replaced next.

So that is my figuring. My intent with this thread wasnt to seek people to help me feel better about a truck i was thinking about, it was mostly for value purpose, to see if what i was thinking about offering and asking for the said truck and my original truck is reasonable, if its not out of the question, then ill try it, if i dont get it, ill probably pass cause anything more would not be a deal for me personally.

Oh and about the edge, the only reason i got mine was to give the 4.6 in my original truck a pick me up, which it did, but this new one runs better by itself than my original 4.6 with the edge.

Thanks for the input guys!
I thought I did that in a nice way. IMHO, even 20K is way over the top for an '08 STX. But, dealers don't have to give them away because someone will pay it.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:11 PM
hydro_37
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check craigslist and ebay to see what trucks in YOUR area are bringing.
Good luch and congrats on the new baby coming

Old 10-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go for it man!! You get into a truck newer then yours with a warranty remaining and most of the problems have been worked out by 2008. You also get a truck you are familiar with and know what to do and expect so it won't be a learning experience again. Yeah the price is a little high but that's because these trucks are in high demand. I had a dealer try to by my truck from me in order to sell it to someone else. At least you know you will be happy with the purchase and if you have any problems you already know where to turn to for assistance!!

Old 10-23-2011, 02:26 AM
2006F150Lariat
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, we're talking about high-priced California here.

A few months ago when I was looking for a truck, I came across a 2006 FX4, 98K, very good condition, brand new tires, crewcab for 15K, non-dealer. The only reason I didn't buy it was I wanted a leather seat which my CFO insisted a-must and a little lower mileage.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:40 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 2006F150Lariat
First off, we're talking about high-priced California here.

A few months ago when I was looking for a truck, I came across a 2006 FX4, 98K, very good condition, brand new tires, crewcab for 15K, non-dealer. The only reason I didn't buy it was I wanted a leather seat which my CFO insisted a-must and a little lower mileage.
Welcome to FTE! You've come to the right place for information and a gaggle of laughs.

You are right about CA, it's spendy as hell and the sales tax is ridiculous. But, the OP is from Pa.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:57 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
XJ,
I get it on the finance stuff. That logic makes sense. I was just saying "better the devil you know..." In regard to that [purchase], most consumer agencies recommend NOT talking "price with trade-in". Get the best price period. If you don't want to hassle with selling your truck yourself, talk trade-in AFTER they give their best deal. You would most likely be able to sell your truck at a better price than the dealer will ever offer. Consider that, as you say you're not strapped yet. You can even refer potential buyers to this site for maintenace provenance!
The tuner... I was just saying, even if the newer truck does drive better you should just yank and swap the tuner onto the newer one. Like you said, same engine. It would plug right up, and be "super" better.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:26 AM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Thanks for all the info guys, i guess another thing that runs through my mind is that currently i have about a year and a couple months left to pay on my current truck. Possibly working out this deal i would incurr another car loan for several years. Do i want to work out a deal now, or wait another 6 months to a year and get more on trade. Boy i get so worke up about this crap, sometimes i wish i just never even drove through the dealers lot! lol

Old 10-23-2011, 07:44 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
After stewing over this all weekend, i think im going to hold off, even though the truck was nice, i think i could get a better nicer one if i keep looking, and the more i continue to pay on mine the more i will get with my trade. Like i said before im not strapped to get out of this truck so i think my best bet right now is to keep looking for Mr. Right, lol, thanks guys!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:23 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Just saw this place got in a 06 XLT s-cab with 60k for $5000 less than the 08 with 15k miles less. It has the 5.4 in it. I know ive been on here long enough to know this, but is the plug problem gone by 06 in these. And what else is there to watch for in 06?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Found A New Truck!