6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Block heater question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:30 PM
atomicglock
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Block heater question

Good day noble people of FTE.

Up front, I'll apologize if this question has been asked before, but, I did a search and could not find the specific info I am looking for.

Does anyone have the International part number for the block heater cord? I'll be heading in the direction of the nearest dealer tomorrow and I would like to call them to ensure they have it in stock. Thanks.

Howard

Old 10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Look in the tech folder. They have it listed.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:38 PM
atomicglock
Senior User
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
Look in the tech folder. They have it listed.

I looked there first and couldn't find it. I'll look again. Musta missed it. Let ya know if I find it.

Edit: DOH!!! What an idiot I am. I found it. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:57 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I was using my phone and couldn't figure out how to get to the part# for you. Glad you found it.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 PM
atomicglock
Senior User
Okey-dokey, I called the International dealer and gave him the part number -Z3500043- and he could not find it. He has cords in various lengths but none with that particular number. I'll have to go there and check it out. Update to follow tomorrow.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:01 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by atomicglock
Okey-dokey, I called the International dealer and gave him the part number -Z3500043- and he could not find it. He has cords in various lengths but none with that particular number. I'll have to go there and check it out. Update to follow tomorrow.
Your truck has an "International 365VGT"...they won't have a clue what a 6.0L is; and more than likely will tell you something to the effect of "we don't support Ford trucks". In that case, your driving an old school bus you've converted to a RV or you bought the engine out of a wrecked school bus. Which ever story you use should work

Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
atomicglock
Senior User
Ok. I know I promised an update several days ago but I got busy and couldn't get to it.

Anyway, I finally got the cord and installed it today. Here's a couple observations:

1. Part number from International turned out to be a Ford part number, 6E7Z-6B018-AA. 66 inches long with a circuit protected plug on the end. Weird. It's an International part yet it has a combination of 2 different Ford part numbers I found on here.

2. The end that plugs into the block is angled (90 degrees) as opposed to the one shown in the Diesel Mentor article which is straight. The angled one is a pain to get in. The straight one looks like it would have been easier.

Installation was pretty straight forward. I wrapped the whole thing in wire loom, snaked it over the cross member and fed the plug end around the radiator and out next to the tow ring. Now I've just got to wait for cold weather to try it out.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Part number from International turned out to be a Ford part number, 6E7Z-6B018-AA. 66 inches long with a circuit protected plug on the end. Weird. It's an International part yet it has a combination of 2 different Ford part numbers I found on here.
And you got it from a Navistar dealership? Very strange because they should have handed you a Navistar 1686485C91 or 3570726C91 (the first once crosses to what you listed). Unless things have changed (quite possible) the OEM has "Canada" molded into the male end of the cord...the end that sticks out by the fog light/tow loop.
2. The end that plugs into the block is angled (45 degrees) as opposed to the one shown in the Diesel Mentor article which is straight. The angled one is a pain to get in. The straight one looks like it would have been easier.
That doesn't sound like the right part. But again, I guess they've changed them over the years. Another one of those revisions I reckon.
Installation was pretty straight forward. I wrapped the whole thing in wire loom, snaked it over the cross member and fed the plug end around the radiator and out next to the tow ring. Now I've just got to wait for cold weather to try it out.
You don't have to wait for cold weather to try it out, plug it in tonight. The truck should be good & warm when you come back out in the morning to start it up. There is no thermostat on the block heater...so the element is going to stay hot no matter what. The warmer the ambient temperature, the warmer the engine. It would just be a waste of energy if you plugged it in this time of year.