Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck started shifting hard

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 06:10 PM
turnkyle
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck started shifting hard

I have a 1994 F150 4x4 with the E4OD. This morning it was alot colder than it has been and my truck was shifting pretty hard. I thought it would go away once the truck warmed up but it didn't. It was even colder when I got off work and it was shifting even harder. It feels like there is a shift kit in it now, really firm/hard shifts. I know the tranny could use a flushing and the rear diff could too. Could dome dirty tranny fluid combined with the cold weather be causing the hard shifts?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 PM
turnkyle
Elder User
No one has any input? The truck has been shifting smooth until today when the temp dropped from a high of 65 to a high of 42 and snowing.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:05 AM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There can be a lot of causes for this. It could be dirty fluid making some of the valves stick or there might be a problem with the pump. If you want to invest money and time into fixing this, then you might try a reconditioning kit as well as changing the fluid. But the reason why you haven't got much response is because it's really a shot in the dark.

Oh, here's a suggestion: call TransGo (search for them on google). I have seen their information/instructions on their shift kit and I bet they have some useful advice. You can also call Sonnax and ask the same questions. The instructions in the Sonnax reconditioning kit I installed did mention "if you are having problems shifting in these gears...do this..." It's worth a shot and free.

HTH

Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i'd check the computer for any stored codes that might relate to the tranny and if that doesn't give you anything I would change the tranny fluid and filter 2nd... old nasty tranny fluid can get "gummy" and make the valve body in an E40D stick and shift hard.

Not 100% guarenteeing thats the problem though.

Not to be a hater but this is the reason I own 5spds... 95% of the time you replace $100-$150 in clutch parts and your back on the road for another 100-150K...

Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I would love a 5spd, that just means i would have a synchronic gearbox and an aditional speed that would both help me obtain a better performance of the truck. But i must say, my first E4OD lasted almost 200k miles, it wasn´t even a model from the "good years", and even after being severely neglected by me at that time. Now it was rebuilt and i plan to pamper and take the proper care of it this time.

Nstueve might be on to something, sometimes when the tranny has any sort of failure perceived by the sensors, the ATF pressure is augmented to prevent further damage, this will cause hard shifts.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 AM
tbirdscott
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do a search it is a very common problem with the e4od shifting hard. There is a wealth of informatiin on this site, use it. Thats probably the reason your not getting many responces.

Scott

Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford Fuel Injection » How To Run a Self-Test Here is a link on how to check for trouble codes without a code reader. Should get 3 digit codes. I think I would do that first.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 PM
turnkyle
Elder User
I will search around for more threads on the E4OD shifting hard. I will also check to see if the truck is throwing any codes. I need to get the ranny and rear end flushed so I will get that done as well.

It was just weird how it was shifting fine the day before and then once it dropped 20 degrees it started shifting hard.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:00 PM
turnkyle
Elder User
Pulled the codes and all that was there was the all clear. I think it's just some dirty fluid. I am going to flush it and hopefully that will fix it. It warmed up again and now it's shifting smooth again.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:01 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by turnkyle
Pulled the codes and all that was there was the all clear. I think it's just some dirty fluid. I am going to flush it and hopefully that will fix it. It warmed up again and now it's shifting smooth again.
inclimate weather doesn't help auto tranny's any... My 03 Rav4 w/ auto won't shift into 4th when it's too cold... I think it's something to do with operating temperature. Also your tranny fluid won't be the same vescosity at different temps either and that may be playing a part in it.

Let us know how it goes after the fluid and filter change in the tranny!

Encho,
5spds are where it's at!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:42 AM
turnkyle
Elder User
Yeah 5 speeds are nice. I've always had a manual till this truck. I got tired of changing clutches so I bought an auto. Seemed like every truck I bought with a manual was at just the right mileage for the clutch to start slipping alittle.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:29 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
I know clutches are a PITA to do but honestly I would rather do a $200 clutch than a $2000 E40D rebuild. I know some have had decent luck with them but I see way more "my tranny shifts hard", "I think I need a rebuild", "why is my OD light blinking?", etc etc etc... conversly most all i see about the ZF is "How do I get one into my truck?"...

If I ever go back to an auto in a truck... It will be a custom mix of an allison, cummins, and a F350 4x4 chassis.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, since this has morphed into somewhat of a automatic vrs manual thoughts disscussion, and I am a ardent automatic supporter for many reasons....

I would rather replace a $2000 transmission than a $80,000.00 knee or shoulder joint. I have already had one shoulder surgery due to wear and tear from shiffting balky medium duty transmissions (T-18, NP435, NP540, ZF5/6), and my knee in not that far behond for needing attention.

Besides, how many manuals wear out the syncronizers by 200k and how many of the lighter Mazda manual 5 speed trannys have failed and been reported as such.

I sure see a lot more clutch problems reported on this website than E40D problems as well. Besides, why would I get a truck that can tow less with a manual due to a weak clutch than compared to a auromatic?

In my work truck - I have over 250k and still going strong on a E4OD behind a 7.3 - and it tows up to 14.8k at times! How much shoulder and knee wear and pain have I saved there?

Fuel economy? Many new cars are rated higher with a automatic than a manual. It used to be that a manual returned higher mileage than a auto, but that is a dead issue now with more speeds and lock up T/Q converters. Yeah, I agree comparing a 3 speed open T/Q converted to a 5 speed manual is not a contest - the manual wins, but when in the last 20 years have you seen a truck come equipped with a 3 speed auuto - I waer a bet it is pretty few and far between.

Not to be a hater, just there is another side to the story, one that won't give you sore and worn joints when you get older.

To me, at this point in life I see shifting a manual as simply a meaningless and mind numbing task better suited to a automoton.

FYI - even fleets have found out that costs are reduced with automatics or autommated shift shift transmissions (class 7/8) over straight manuas as there is less wear and tear on the balance of the drive train. Ever see a new seii driver twist a driveshaft off in compond low with a heavy load and a heavy foot? Ain't gonna happen with a auto.

Off road? even there the auto wins out, any serious rock crawler is a auto. I have always run autos off road and have no problem getting every where a manual gets, and again at less strain, wear and tear both on me and the truck.

But, as I always have said, each to there own on here....

Just food for thought, again not trying to be a hater, enjoy your Fords auto or manual.

David