Sponsored by: Moser

Temp sensor terminal WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 AM
mktsc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temp sensor terminal WTF?

Replacing the coolant temp sensor in my '73 F100 (360). Old sensor has a single spade connector, new sensor has a ribbed (not threaded) post. I thought it was threaded at first, 40 thread per inch, but 8-32 thread diameter, but upon closer inspection, the post is NOT threaded.

I know there's a push type connector that simply snaps down over the post, but I don't know the correct name for that connector and can't find them.

Help?

-MK

Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would take it back to where i bought it and tell them i want the correct one. It's possible your temp. guage may not read correct if you use it. Just my $.02 worth.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 AM
mktsc
Senior User
It's a motorcraft part I purchased from Mac's Antique Auto that I verified with a post from user NumberDummy. P/N: SW-2328. It's the same part number used for the majority of ford truck and car aplications from 70-97 according to him. It's also the correct one listed for my model according to Mac's. Pretty sure it's the right part, just not sure how to attach the lead correctly. My current one reads, but not correctly so I'm thinking I have the wrong part in there now, and that the PO changed the original connector out.

-MK

p.s. looks like this:

Old 10-05-2011, 06:17 PM
rustyranger390
Senior User
My 73 F100 360 has the exact sending unit as pic,
with the snap on connector.
I put a new one in but finally opted for a
AZ mechanical guage that is probably more accurate
than the stock guage.
It tells you the temp with a numerical reading
in degrees which is more helpful than just the needle.
Wasn't hard to install. Looks cool too.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
The wiring that goes to the sending unit should be a push-on boot, just like the boot that pushes on to the 'S' post of the starter solenoid (different size though). If that's not the case, then your wiring has been modified. Some aftermarket sending units have a spade-style terminal, and the wiring may have been modified to make it fit.

If the sending unit is a push-on style, you'll need to replace the boot. If it's threaded (which can also accept the boot), you also have the option of using a ring terminal and nut.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:28 AM
mktsc
Senior User
So the question remains: where can I buy one of the push on boot connectors?

I scoured McMaster-Carr, but without knowing the techincal name for the connector, I got nothing.

-MK

Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by mktsc
So the question remains: where can I buy one of the push on boot connectors?

I scoured McMaster-Carr, but without knowing the techincal name for the connector, I got nothing.

-MK
N A P A ,Schucks, Pep-Boys, just to name a few,just about any auto parts supplier. Just walk in to the store and go back to the electrical parts area or show them that picture of it. It's really not that hard to do.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Actually, they "can" be hard to find. Try Radio Shack. I work on a lot of vehicles and keep old wiring harnesses for times like this.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:33 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by gfw1985
Actually, they "can" be hard to find. Try Radio Shack. I work on a lot of vehicles and keep old wiring harnesses for times like this.
Huh,must be a local thing,i just picked up a couple last march for my ford falcon. That kind of connector is used a lot in it,some angle some are straight. My old 56 fairlane has them too. Maybe I should stock up on a few of them in case they drop them off of there shelves here.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Know what you mean. My old Bronco's and my son's Mustang have quite a few. Around here, NAPA is about my best bet for anything electrical. Off Topic: Looking for a 56 Fairlane 2 dr hardtop. Scarce as hen teeth around here. Had one stolen many, many years ago and still looking for a replacement.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by gfw1985
Know what you mean. My old Bronco's and my son's Mustang have quite a few. Around here, NAPA is about my best bet for anything electrical. Off Topic: Looking for a 56 Fairlane 2 dr hardtop. Scarce as hen teeth around here. Had one stolen many, many years ago and still looking for a replacement.
56 fairlanes are getting hard to find around here too. The one we have is not a hard top,but it has the original Y-block that came in it. Mostly restored,i gave it to my son a few years ago. Well we are off subject,but at least it's about fords ,maybe we can get by.....JIM

Old 10-06-2011, 06:36 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
This is what the factory engine wiring harness looks like, this one is for my project, also a '73 F100 with and FE. The yellow boot connector is for the coil, the black angled connector with the red/white wire is for the temp. sender.

Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2011, 09:10 PM
fmc400
MSEE
There are two wire boots commonly used in Ford wiring harnesses - a smaller style for sending units, and a larger one for the starter solenoid. I've seen the smaller one for sale on a Mustang website somewhere, but I wasn't able to find it just now using a Google search. I believe Napa carries it, if I remember correctly - but you won't find it in the electrical aisle.

As far as I know, the large one isn't reproduced - last time I was at the pick and pull, I stocked up on several of them (not the one you're looking for though).

EDIT: Here's the link I was remembering. It's for a 5/32" stud, you'll want to make sure that it will fit the sending unit you're looking at:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Wire-Terminal

Old 10-06-2011, 09:27 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by fmc400
There are two wire boots commonly used in Ford wiring harnesses - a smaller style for sending units, and a larger one for the starter solenoid. I've seen the smaller one for sale on a Mustang website somewhere, but I wasn't able to find it just now using a Google search. I believe Napa carries it, if I remember correctly - but you won't find it in the electrical aisle.

As far as I know, the large one isn't reproduced - last time I was at the pick and pull, I stocked up on several of them (not the one you're looking for though).

EDIT: Here's the link I was remembering. It's for a 5/32" stud, you'll want to make sure that it will fit the sending unit you're looking at:

1979-95 Mustang Sending Unit Wire Terminal with 90 Degree Boot at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
fmc 400, thanks for posting that link. That's what I love about FTE. There's a lot of useful information out there. Members like you help bring it to one area (FTE) where we all can benefit from it. Reps sent.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:43 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Thanks for the reps and kind words.

Quick Reply: Temp sensor terminal WTF?