6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Manual Locking Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 PM
p12483
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Locking Hubs

Sorry but I am knew to 4*4 trucks. I have an f-250 with ESOF. I also have the manual locking hubs. My question is
1. Do I need to electrically shift to 4*4 and then manually lock the hubs to get the 4*4 to work, or can i simply manually lock the hubs and this will produce the same effect as the electronic shift? The manual didn't really say anything, and i thought the electric shift actually did something at the transfer case as opposed to the hubs locking?

2. My salesman told me to exercise the manual hubs. I have been doing this about once a week by simply turning it from auto to manual and back. Is this adequate or do i need to actually lock the hubs and run the 4*4?

3. does the truck have to be on to use manual shift? I thought it was done by the vacuum pump?

Thanks for the information

Old 09-30-2011, 08:38 PM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Is your truck a 2011? The 2011 did not come with completely manual hubs at least in the Lariette model. They are automatic but you can also manually engage them. You do not need to do anything except engage your truck in 4 wheel drive if they are set on automatic. I don't do anything to mine except when I need 4 wheel drive and I simply engage the truck in 4 wheel by the **** on the dash.It is my understanding that the manual setting is for a situation that you cannot get the hubs to engage automatically.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 PM
JSWpilot
Freshman User
Most (if not all) of the 2011's are electronic locking hubs. My safe guess is that if you have an electronic switch to work the 4x4, as opposed to the traditional floor shifter, you should have electronic locking hubs. I know this was not true for the other models but I'm pretty sure the 2011's were fully electric.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by p12483
Sorry but I am knew to 4*4 trucks. I have an f-250 with ESOF. I also have the manual locking hubs. My question is
1. Do I need to electrically shift to 4*4 and then manually lock the hubs to get the 4*4 to work, or can i simply manually lock the hubs and this will produce the same effect as the electronic shift? The manual didn't really say anything, and i thought the electric shift actually did something at the transfer case as opposed to the hubs locking?
ESOF will engage the transfer case and the hubs when switched to 4x4 hi or lo range. The manual feature allows you to manually lock the hubs in case of a vacuum failure (usually in very cold weather) or if you want to ensure the hubs are always locked.

2. My salesman told me to exercise the manual hubs. I have been doing this about once a week by simply turning it from auto to manual and back. Is this adequate or do i need to actually lock the hubs and run the 4*4?
Just lock the hubs every other month or so and drive for 10 or 20 miles, no need to be in 4x4 mode as the hubs will engage and spin the axle shafts and front diff gear/pinion. There's no need to do that more often, in my opinion. This ensures that the hubs will engage when needed.

3. does the truck have to be on to use manual shift? I thought it was done by the vacuum pump?

Thanks for the information
ESOF will engage the hubs automatically when the switch is set to 4x4 hi or lo range. The hubs can usually be turned to 'lock' if the truck is sitting. If not, start the truck and roll forward or back few feet and you should be able to turn the hubs. Always make sure both sides are set the same!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:02 PM
p12483
Senior User
Yes, f-250 lariat fx-4. I am just trying to understand what the purpose of the manual hubs is? So your saying I would still need to switch the 4*4 high and then manually lock the hubs? I know to use the 4*4 switch... like i said just trying to figure out when or why i should use the manual. I have noticed Ford is the only trucks with these anymore.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:04 PM
p12483
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kep4
ESOF will engage the transfer case and the hubs when switched to 4x4 hi or lo range. The manual feature allows you to manually lock the hubs in case of a vacuum failure (usually in very cold weather) or if you want to ensure the hubs are always locked.

Just lock the hubs every other month or so and drive for 10 or 20 miles, no need to be in 4x4 mode as the hubs will engage and spin the axle shafts and front diff gear/pinion. There's no need to do that more often, in my opinion. This ensures that the hubs will engage when needed.

ESOF will engage the hubs automatically when the switch is set to 4x4 hi or lo range. The hubs can usually be turned to 'lock' if the truck is sitting. If not, start the truck and roll forward or back few feet and you should be able to turn the hubs. Always make sure both sides are set the same!
Thanks alot for the information. Now the manual says specifically not to drive in 4*4 on dry pavement. Do i need to head to the woods to do my 10 or 20 miles?

Old 09-30-2011, 09:28 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I have never manually set my hubs but I do run 4x4 high monthly between 0 and 35 MPH.
If it's not in the woods, I run it on a straight 1 mile side road after leaving work one evening.
Just don't make sharp turns on pavement.
If I can't remember if I used it in the woods, I do it anyways.

The ELD I'm not so good at remembering to engage.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 PM
jfritz_drfritz
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, f-250 lariat fx-4. I am just trying to understand what the purpose of the manual hubs is? So your saying I would still need to switch the 4*4 high and then manually lock the hubs? I know to use the 4*4 switch... like i said just trying to figure out when or why i should use the manual. I have noticed Ford is the only trucks with these anymore.
Your hubs are engaged by vacuum pressure. When the external hubs are in the automatic position they "freewheel" and can slightly improve your fuel mileage as well as decrease tire wear and wear on the components of the front drive assembly. When the hubs are turned to the locked position the splines are engaged and everything rotates right upbto the transfer case, but without turning the dash switch the transfer case is not actually locked so no power is transferred tonthe front axle. It has the advantagein this position tho that everything is rotating the same speed, assuming you are not spinning the rear wheels so that 4wheel drveengages seamlessly at whatever speed you are traveling (try going in and out of 4wheel at 50 mph in both locked and unlocked and you will see). The lock position is also a backup for if your vacuum system fails. Your truck is a part time 4 wheel drive and the front and rear axles are locked together in 4wheel and thus should only be used on surfaces where therejbis some wheel slip to prevent windup in the drive train.