1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

DO'S AND DONT'S

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:04 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
DO'S AND DONT'S

Well I just finnished installing the Toyota p/s box conversion, what a nice option for these trucks. I hope to have the windshield and rear glass installed before it gets too cold (we've been totally blessed with our weather this fall). I was wondering what the do's and dont's are for my plans. I have bought a 88 Lincoln Town Car 5L aod that I plan on using the complete driveline. GM tilt column, Chrysler Intrpid bucket seats, one piece power side glass, power frt disc brake conversion, rear drum brakes, I probably will not do any major work till next spring, I just want to know if anyone forsee's any problems I may have with these plans. thanks for all your help.
Grant.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:52 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
with any automotive project.... the do's don't and the don'ts will and Murphy will change this at random times during the project.

john

Old 09-27-2011, 02:03 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Grant,
John speaks words of wisdom.

Now are you going to run the Fuel Injection or are you going to swap back to a carb?

Old 09-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Pictures of everything, every bolt. Label every last thing like you have OCD. You'd be amazed at how instantly you forget where something goes after it's been out for a week, let alone a whole build. It's especially handy to have pictures of bolt placement on things like fenders and window parts, where lining it up just right is critical. It will take about 40 times longer to put something back exactly how it was if you don't have pictures. It's a serious build savor.

Plus it's cool to show everything you've done on it.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:20 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
I will be staying with the EFI, my 13 yr old son and I are tackling this one on our own. He will be driving it in a couple of years and would like the reliability and fuel economy fuel injection provides. I'd like to have it on the road next year so I can enjoy it before I hand over the keys to him.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Stephen: It's funny you mentioned the pictures, I bought the truck in parts but my son said on sunday " dad let's take pictures of every thing we've done and put it in an album ". I have a buddy with a 56 who took pictures of everything, he'll be gereat help if I run into a bind.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by yamagrant
I will be staying with the EFI, my 13 yr old son and I are tackling this one on our own. He will be driving it in a couple of years and would like the reliability and fuel economy fuel injection provides. I'd like to have it on the road next year so I can enjoy it before I hand over the keys to him.
Since you want to stay with the EFI, this website is very helpful.
www.fordfuelinjection.com

Old 09-27-2011, 02:45 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Since you want to stay with the EFI, this website is very helpful.
www.fordfuelinjection.com
Thanks Jeff, I have added it to my favorites.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:45 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Put every group of nut and bolt into a zip lock baggie and label where they came from and don't forget where you put the baggies.

I have bags for left front fender and right front fender and each has bolts bagged that were inside the cab, through the wheel well, under the hood, etc... grouped inside them. Those are in the larger bag marked front end.

The more you break it down into groups, the easier it will be 3 years (if your lucky it will only be three years) from now to reassemble. So far this has worked flawlessly. Store them all in one box.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:54 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BACAGrizz
Put every group of nut and bolt into a zip lock baggie and label where they came from and don't forget where you put the baggies.

I have bags for left front fender and right front fender and each has bolts bagged that were inside the cab, through the wheel well, under the hood, etc... grouped inside them. Those area in the larger bag marked front end.

The more you break it down into groups the easier it will be 3 years (if your lucky it will only be three years) from now to reassemble. So far this has worked flawlessly. Store them all in one box.
I'm really going into this one blind. when I bought the truck it was only a rolling shell as you see in my avatar. I have 4 bolts holding the box down, 6 holding the frt sheet metal and the 4 holding the cab down. there is no interior and all the door and window guts are in a box. I also have the heater assy. in a box.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:57 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I also suggest having a back up source for your pictures in case your computer crashes.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:12 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I also suggest having a back up source for your pictures in case your computer crashes.
My wife is very **** when it comes to pictures, she's always putting them on discs. Even the " junk " I take pictures of.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:32 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Don't junk the car if you can help it until you get the car running. One sensor, plug, or ground point can keep the 5.0 from running. Keep us posted. Enjoy the journey with your son

Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tacson
Don't junk the car if you can help it until you get the car running. One sensor, plug, or ground point can keep the 5.0 from running. Keep us posted. Enjoy the journey with your son
Thanks, I'll definately be keeping the car till I'm satisfied with the way the truck will run. I'm kind of a hoarder when it comes to car parts ( a neat hoarder that is ) The car only has 60,000 miles on it and is a very clean driver right now, i'll be selling body and interior parts after I remove the drivetrain, so it will be around a while. I only paid $500.00 for the car so It would make me happy to make some of that back between scrap and parts. Thanks again for your advise.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:48 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Funny...I had a conversation with one of my photographer friends some time back...he has archives with thousands of digital photos. He mentioned that home-burned CD's have a storage life of around 5 years...worse if one gets a scratch because corrosion can occur.

His answer is to keep two hard drives on his home computer...each with a duplicate set of files. If one crashes, the other has the photos. Second, he occasionally copies his archives to a portable HDD which he stores at the office (at a seperate location from his home computer). That archive would allow him to restore his home computer in the event of a catastropic failure like a house fire.

Sorry for goint OT...but it's worth mentioning.

Dan

Quick Reply: DO'S AND DONT'S