1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

71mm pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:45 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
A 71mm turbo on stock sticks makes about as much sense as wiping before you poop. It's just too much turbo, whether they are Cali injectors or not. On a truck running 2's or hybrids it makes much more sense.
^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Even a 62mm is more turbo than is ever needed with stock OBS injectors(cali injectors or not), much less a 471.. I also seem to remember him not wanting to throw up pics or vids of that, but I could be wrong and don't really care either. LOL

Old 09-19-2011, 03:55 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
A 71mm turbo on stock sticks makes about as much sense as wiping before you poop. It's just too much turbo, whether they are Cali injectors or not. On a truck running 2's or hybrids it makes much more sense.
Oh heck yeah! You won't hear me dispute that. He just wanted to do the turbo, intercooler, etc before the injectors since his turbo pooped on him anyway.

However, it may not be ideal for stock or cali injectors but the fact remains that it isn't total crap because he's pushing over 30 psi of boost. Sure you have to keep it wound up and it sucks for daily driving, but racing, pulling, or playin around its just fine.

Steve- You will Love that turbo (unless the larger a/r ratio makes a HUGE difference, which I doubt it will with the larger injectors).

Old 09-19-2011, 07:58 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Even a 62mm is more turbo than is ever needed with stock OBS injectors(cali injectors or not), much less a 471.. I also seem to remember him not wanting to throw up pics or vids of that, but I could be wrong and don't really care either. LOL
Since you just have to see a picture:
Here is a picture from when we had the engine out, installing the 'headers', up-pipes, turbo, downpipe, studs, a/c delete, etc. He also raised the body 3 inches to make the 4" down pipe fit in easier and a Airdog II fuel system. Since this a 6.0 IC has been added.

I will try to get a pic or video of the 30 psi boost this weekend, can't find my camera so be prepared for cell phone quality.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:16 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Since you just have to see a picture:
Here is a picture from when we had the engine out, installing the 'headers', up-pipes, turbo, downpipe, studs, a/c delete, etc. He also raised the body 3 inches to make the 4" down pipe fit in easier and a Airdog II fuel system. Since this a 6.0 IC has been added.

I will try to get a pic or video of the 30 psi boost this weekend, can't find my camera so be prepared for cell phone quality.

LOL I don't have to see a pic or a video and there aren't any there anyways. Don't worry yourself over it man. It's his truck, he can do what he wants to it.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The setup looks like a red "x"?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
and they say size dont matter.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Ah WTH? It was up on my computer at home.

maybe this will work:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=80542

Travis, everytime this comes up all you say is, "I haven't seen a pic..."!!! You've been talking about swapping turbos for a couple years now, and as far as I know it hasn't happened yet! I'm just tired of hearing you say that everyone is stupid if they don't agree with you.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I like those headers.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 PM
King7765
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whao, where did he get those sweet lookin headers??? Are they even necessary? I don't care.... they are shinny. LOL

Old 09-21-2011, 09:58 AM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Yep that turbo looks awfuly familiar lol yeah mine is on and ready to go, just waiting on my new valair clutch.. found.out they don't like slipping much. So I'm Goibg to have to change my strategy at the track!
See is never throw this turbo on a stock truck its just too huge, 160s are probably goibg tp be too small but I guess we will see. But them manifolds looks nasty. Who's are they?

Curious to what your friend did for a down pipe and who's kit he had for hook up.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Everything from the headers to the downpipe from Diesel Innovations. They have it on their drag truck for a bit but then switched to something else.

As for the downpipe, he raised to body to fit it in without completely rebuilding the firewall, plus that made the turbo fit it easier too.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:46 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Ah WTH? It was up on my computer at home.

maybe this will work:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=80542

Travis, everytime this comes up all you say is, "I haven't seen a pic..."!!! You've been talking about swapping turbos for a couple years now, and as far as I know it hasn't happened yet! I'm just tired of hearing you say that everyone is stupid if they don't agree with you.
LOL Ok buddy. Think what you want. I will take this to a PM and quit mucking up Steve's thread.

Hey Steve, all the headers for the 7.3L are made by the same company. DI, Murff, etc. They all sell the same headers.. None of them make the headers in house. They are made by Blown-Away Enterprises

Old 09-21-2011, 06:35 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
ahh ok interesting. yeah i had to do some serious work to my firewall, looks OK now. and thanks for the info travis.

my new clutch should be here tomorrow or friday. ill be ripping it up again with more videos and pics then!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:47 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Awesome, I Cannot Wait to see how that thing does with larger injectors!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7
Yep that turbo looks awfuly familiar lol yeah mine is on and ready to go, just waiting on my new valair clutch.. found.out they don't like slipping much. So I'm Goibg to have to change my strategy at the track!
See is never throw this turbo on a stock truck its just too huge, 160s are probably goibg tp be too small but I guess we will see. But them manifolds looks nasty. Who's are they?

Curious to what your friend did for a down pipe and who's kit he had for hook up.
thats cause kev/ceramic is made for hauling, not for racing.

It was nice of them to warranty it for you.

Quick Reply: 71mm pics!