6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FICM programming

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:02 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FICM programming

I'm thinking of getting my FICM programmed by PHP to take advantage of the benefits.

Couple of questions for you guys -

Who has done this so far, and are you happy with the results?
If you decided against doing it, why?
Should I get my ECM rolled back at the same time? If so, what benefits would I see of my current strategy (listed below).

I have a 2006 F250 that is essentially stock hardware-wise, other than a few extra filters, and an edge Insight. I am running custom SCT tunes from Matt. The current strategies from my truck are as follows -

VXCF5H5
TQCK0T5
ARZ2AL01

Thanks for the guidance.

- Steve

Old 09-14-2011, 04:35 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
I got to spend some time with Bill this past weekend and saw him work his magic on several trucks and some of the magic he worked on his own truck. I would highly recommend having the FICM tuned (I had mine retuned) but I don't think getting your PCM rolled back would benefit you much if any from vxcf5 to vxcf4.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
I actually talked with Bill today after putting this post up. He also isn't sure how much benefit I will see going from the CF5 strategy, but lucky for me, he has a truck coming in tomorrow with the same strategy as mine, and he's going to do some testing on it and let me know the results. I'll post up here after I hear from him. I'm kind of hoping that there isn't any benefit so that I can save some cash and not have to get my custom tunes re-written.

I'm definitely getting the FICM tuned regardless of what I do with the ECM.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:15 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by TexasA&M
I actually talked with Bill today after putting this post up. He also isn't sure how much benefit I will see going from the CF5 strategy, but lucky for me, he has a truck coming in tomorrow with the same strategy as mine, and he's going to do some testing on it and let me know the results. I'll post up here after I hear from him. I'm kind of hoping that there isn't any benefit so that I can save some cash and not have to get my custom tunes re-written.

I'm definitely getting the FICM tuned regardless of what I do with the ECM.
I actually know the gentleman who owns that truck and the story behind the tuning. He has a seriously modified truck that pulls about 16K every day and gets the snot worked out of it. The truck has a powermax, fire ringed heads, and a full bulletproof system, just to name a few of it's mods. If you go on the .Org I'm sure you know of Mudrunning Pig's truck. I saw it on the dyno this past weekend at Smoke Show in Winston Salem.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:58 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Bill got back with me and told me that there is no advantage to rolling back from the VXCF5H5 strategy, which was music to my ears. Now all I need to do is get the FICM tuned and I'll be good to go. Hopefully it won't take terribly long to get the remote tuner. I'm ready to try this mod out!

Old 09-16-2011, 02:52 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

If you don't need the truck for a daily driver it's probably a LOT faster to ship it to him than wait for the tuner.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:59 PM
96_F250_Deezal
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
how do I get my FICM "tuned" ?

better yet, how do I find out what version is currently loaded and which is the most current?

Old 09-20-2011, 05:08 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 343 Likes on 213 Posts
I have a buddy who is looking into ficm tuning. He was tslking to innovative. I heard their customer service is terrible....if i remember correctly. Is this fact?
Who else do you recommend for ficm tuning?

Thanks

Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
I'm going through Power Hungry Performance. I wasn't impressed at first, but I think my emails were getting caught in their spam filter. Once I finally got ahold of Bill, he has been very responsive and answered all of my questions. I'm on the list now waiting for a remote tuner. I don't have any time on the calendar where the truck can be down for more than a day or two, so I have to wait and do it remote.

FYI, the PHP folks are on vacation this week. It may be best to wait until next week to get in touch.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
what is the point of getting the FICM rollback? I still don't understand it.
Originally Posted by 96_F250_Deezal
better yet, how do I find out what version is currently loaded and which is the most current?
ditto

Old 09-20-2011, 06:14 PM
05 f250 6 inch lift
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does FICM tuning do an how much does it cost. What r the advantages to doing it. Do you have to get it retuned if you do SCT cust tunes after you do FICM tune ?

Old 09-20-2011, 06:20 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
These are all the same questions that I asked Bill when I talked with him. I have cut and paste some of his words below -

"FICM programming is a completely self-contained process and does not interfere with the ECM tuning in any fashion. This means that you will not need to change the ECM strategy or have any of your custom tunes rewritten. The only exception to this would be on some early 2003 models that still have Pilot Injection, in which an Inductive Heating FICM strategy would cause some interference.

Gains from FICM tuning will occur in the off-idle to about 2200 RPM range, with power gains tapering off after that. The hybrid tuning will work quite effectively on your application, although we see a slight advantage to running the non-inductive strategy so long as there’s not a problem with cold starting. Fuel economy gains are pretty consistent throughout the powerband and will generally be in the 2-3 MPG range."

I was initially confused about the 'rollback' terminology that is used on the PHP site as well. After reading it for about the 20th time, I finally understood... basically, it has nothing to do with the FICM, but instead changes your trucks stock strategy to an earlier, more efficient, Ford strategy. If you are currently running custom tunes and you do get your ECM rolled back, you will need the custom tunes re-written. If you are not tuned, you won't have to do anything extra.

Essentially, the FICM and ECM rollback are two independent things. Both can be beneficial, but depending on your current stock ECM strategy, you may not see any gains from rolling back.

I'll know more once I actually get my FICM tuned, and can/will report back then. I'm really looking forward to trying it out and seeing how much of a difference I can feel in my seat, and at the fuel pump.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:16 PM
05 f250 6 inch lift
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm very interested in this. Just got finished doing a coolant flush. ARP studs. Oil cooler. Standpipes an plugs. Got a used SCT livewire, hopes it works right. An now I of this mod. Wish I had heard about it a month ago. Could have sent my FICM off while I had my truck apart.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:38 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
and how much do they charge for this rollback?

I don't see any advantage of this for MPG purposes. If it costs more than $100, then it will take forever to recoup that money.

performance wise...I could use me some better off the line performance to help PCM tuning.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:10 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by tylus
and how much do they charge for this rollback?

I don't see any advantage of this for MPG purposes. If it costs more than $100, then it will take forever to recoup that money.

performance wise...I could use me some better off the line performance to help PCM tuning.
It typically makes 2-3 mpg difference in fuel mileage from the experiences I've read, but the real benefit is the "off the line" performance. The FICM tuning combined with SCT tuning makes a night and day difference in throttle response.

Quick Reply: FICM programming