1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front axle knuckle seal dust cover...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:59 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front axle knuckle seal dust cover...

Does anyone what the part number is for this, or if it's even available? The seal that goes into the steering knuckle has another metal seal/dust cover behind it that is pressed on as well. Mine got mangled trying to get one of the axles out a while back and I was hoping to take it back apart and replace it since I do a lot of driving on sand. If you look at the attached image, it's where the red arrows are pointing:
Name:  dana60axle-1.jpg
Views: 16383
Size:  68.6 KB

Old 09-13-2011, 09:44 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe you want part number F81Z-3254-CB. $30 to $50 each depending on where you buy it.

You'll need a special seal driver to install it properly. Those cost around $60 or you can build one out of 1-1/4" pipe parts like this one:

Its an 8" pipe, a cap, and a flange. The flange needs a little grinding to fit.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:58 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
That one I have, same tool setup and all. What I'm referring to is actually still attached to the axle shown. If you look at the area where you would normally press that knuckle seal on, the back side of the knuckle seal butts up against that little metal ring. It's actually pressed on the axle first, then the knuckle seal goes on. Barring buying a new axle stub, I'm not sure that's a part that can be bought separately. It's just a thin piece of stamped sheet metal that acts as a guard for the back side of that seal that faces the u-joint for the axle. It's hard to see in the pics, but this image may help a little better:

Name:  dana60axle-2.jpg
Views: 10454
Size:  77.4 KB

Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I doubt if you can buy it, maybe have one made.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:20 AM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, that part! I haven't heard/read about anybody ever replacing that.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 AM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. There is no part number on it anywhere, and I'm assuming whoever is supplying the axles to Ford presses them on before they are shipped. I'm usually pretty good at finding things online, but this one has eluded me for a while now. If I manage to track it down I'll post up a source in case anyone does like me and bangs theirs up.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Fmy350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by basstardo
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. There is no part number on it anywhere, and I'm assuming whoever is supplying the axles to Ford presses them on before they are shipped. I'm usually pretty good at finding things online, but this one has eluded me for a while now. If I manage to track it down I'll post up a source in case anyone does like me and bangs theirs up.
Ironically, I boogered mine up about a month ago as well, and I was curious as to what it was also. I asked a Ford tech on YouTube, and he said it's merely a metal "guard" for the axle vacuum seal. I believe they're only on the Dana 60 axle shafts. From pictures I've seen of the axle u-joint/seal areas, most do not have that plate. I reshaped mine as best as I could, then after reinstalling the axle, I used a long brass punch and a hammer to reseat it against the back of the axle seal. I would tap the back side of it with the punch, then turn the u-joint (which turns the metal plate) and tap it again, repeating until it was seated as good as it was going to get all the way around.

Hope this helps in your quest for knowledge...

Old 10-26-2011, 11:52 PM
doofuss
Senior User
I had the large rubber ring come loose on the axle side ( not the wheel side). There is a superseded part that completely seals this area up ( I drive mostly in sand as well) I will try to get this part number tomorrow. It is a greatly improved part. Not sure if this is what you need.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:02 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That metal part is actually built into the oem hub seals. Some non-oem hub seals don't have it, but when you buy motorcraft ones it comes on the seal.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Zedrive
Senior User
I would call that a slinger. Dana part #307308
Does it fit fords? can't say but at least you got a name for it.
Rock shield, dust guard.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Fmy350
New User
Originally Posted by cartmanea
That metal part is actually built into the oem hub seals. Some non-oem hub seals don't have it, but when you buy motorcraft ones it comes on the seal.
Originally Posted by Zedrive
I would call that a slinger. Dana part #307308
Does it fit fords? can't say but at least you got a name for it.
Rock shield, dust guard.

Thanks for the insight on the subject. The more we know, the better.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:12 PM
VaHkGuy
New User
Part of Front Axle Outer Seal

That metal piece which sits between the knuckle and hub bearing assembly is part of the "Front Axle Outer Seal" aka Large Knuckle Seal or Oil Seal

Here are part numbers for these Ford 2004-2003 vehicles:
Excursion, F-250 Super Duty, F-350 Super Duty, F-450 Super Duty, F-550 Super Duty

In order to change that seal, you can attempt not to damage the metal piece / dust cover to which you refer and replace the seal with one without the dust cover (re-using the old one):
Dana Spicer part # 50491
Napa part # NOS 28600

OR

The preferred / recommended option - remove the entire seal (including the metal back) from the axle shaft (yes, it does come off).

Here are some part numbers for the seal including the back dust cover:
Motorcraft part # 3C3Z3254CA
National Oil Seal / Timken part # 710494
Napa part # NOS 28603

When replacing the seal:

Use either a Ford shaft installation tool (Part # OTC 6695)

OR

Make an axle seal installation tool.
http://www.superdutypsd.com/axle_seal_tool.php

Here are cautions/notes when using the homemade tool:
1. When purchasing the floor flange, ensure that the back side is flat. At the hardware store, place it on the relatively flat floor and see if it wobbles.
2. The flange must fit inside the metal ring (on the side which faces outside). So, verify how much or if you need to grind down the floor flange to fit. If you do not do this, you may (most likely) damage the seal.
3. The seal can be pushed in too far. To help prevent this, you could screw in a short piece of pipe on the back/flat side of the flange.

NOTE: I just replaced my ball joints, front axle universal joints, bearings, & most other steering/suspension components on my 2004 F-250 FX4 Crew Cab SRW... Originally, I thought that the front axle seal was just the black part. By going to the auto parts store (and looking at the actual seal) and Moog Problem Solver website, I discovered the seal includes the metal dust cover you pin pointed.

Thanks to this & other sites which helped me complete this myself.

I know this is an older post; however, I hope this helps others.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:11 AM
jesse5
Senior User
Do the axles rattle at full turn with the hubs locked when this seal is not installed?

Old 04-05-2014, 11:03 AM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
VaHkGuy, thanks! I haven't gone in there in a long time as I haven't had ball joint/hub bearing problems, but I just started getting a squeak from the passenger side recently. I may be replacing something in there soon, and it'll be nice to replace that dust cover as well. Reps sent.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:02 PM
VaHkGuy
New User
NP

Originally Posted by basstardo
VaHkGuy, thanks! I haven't gone in there in a long time as I haven't had ball joint/hub bearing problems, but I just started getting a squeak from the passenger side recently. I may be replacing something in there soon, and it'll be nice to replace that dust cover as well. Reps sent.
You're welcome. I purchased my truck 2 months ago. In order to get it aligned, I needed to replace the ball joints; however, I decided to replace shocks, sway bars bushings, tie rod ends, track bar, pitman arm, steer stabilizer (damper), caliper pins, needle bearings, axle seals, transmission fluid flush / filters, oil / filter change, fuel filter, differential / transfer case fluid / seal change, front axle seals / universal joints, head lamps with Sylvania ZXE, etc...

Still left - rear end service, drive shaft universal joints, drive shaft center support bearing, drive belt, Bully Dog cold air intake...

Yes, it's overboard; however, I enjoy learning how my vehicles work, how to do different things, & ensuring their longevity.

Quick Reply: Front axle knuckle seal dust cover...