Here is one for ya! 6.2 engine problems - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Reload this Page >

Here is one for ya! 6.2 engine problems

Notices
6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Here is one for ya! 6.2 engine problems

Old 10-26-2012, 02:35 AM
biz4two
Post Fiend
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Originally Posted by jstarr311 View Post
I'm at just over 500 miles on mine, and have a ticking. sounds like the type you get when ya got a stuck valve of lifter. Hope it's an easy fix. Good luck

So...when you planning on visiting the dealer? Please report back any findings...

biz

Old 10-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Powerdude
Elder User
Powerdude is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The 6.2 was designed to be a low cost alternative for people who are not interested in the diesel engine option.

The good news is that even if a 6.2 engine goes "bad", it's going to be $7000 cheaper than replacing the fuel system on a diesel truck.

All engines tick, that's how you know it's running, and you have valves closing, which is a metal on metal sound, and also explosions powered by gasoline inside your engine, which makes the crankshaft turn and the wheels turn.

It's really an amazing thing, but ticking is normal for an internal combustion engine.

Unless your engine is using a quart of oil every 1500 miles, ticking is normal.

Lets have some actual useful threads on here, instead of my cousin's sister's mechanic told him that he heard of a guy who had a 6.2 tick...

It's an insect. Move along.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:59 PM
2000silverbullet
Post Fiend
2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
Get a cheap $2 mechanics stethoscope from harbor freight, great investment and will let you pinpoint where it's coming from. My ticking was the loud @ss injectors on these motors....

Old 12-11-2012, 01:22 PM
ford ca.
New User
ford ca. is starting off with a positive reputation.
So far so good with mine I have 2400km no problems but I still can;t figure out how to post pictures
I tried photo bucket but no luck
I will keep trying

Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM
2000silverbullet
Post Fiend
2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
When you upload your pic to photobucket, go to your album and you'll see "IMG code". Copy that full URL and paste it into your post.

You'll see something like [ I M G ] your url [ / I M G] (no spaces though.) in your post. When you submit your post, the image will appear.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:24 AM
2011F250Lariat
Freshman User
2011F250Lariat is starting off with a positive reputation.
I brought my 2011 job 1 with 6.2l in to the dealer a while back for the ticking, noticed it on cold starts and while at temps, also especially noticable next to a wall of a building or in between buildings where sound reflects, I was told its the injectors and that its normal.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Dave HM
Junior User
Dave HM is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't like noisy gassers and really don't think they have to "tick."

My 6.2 is quieter than the wife's V 6 Toyota.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Chinookman
Senior User
Chinookman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Dave HM View Post
I don't like noisy gassers and really don't think they have to "tick."

My 6.2 is quieter than the wife's V 6 Toyota.
Hmmm push rods were mentioned in another forum....something to consider?

Old 06-21-2013, 09:18 PM
RDNEWMAN
New User
RDNEWMAN is starting off with a positive reputation.
JUNE 11, 2013-- FORD 6.2 ENGINE FAILURE

Originally Posted by coobie View Post
Good friend of mine (mechanic)and ford F150 truck owner told me today that the 6.2 engines are starting to have engine failures.He told me he spoke to local ford dealer mechanics and they now have 3 fords(6.2 engines)in shop with bad engines.I say BS.I have not heard of any catastrophic failures.
My 2011 Ford F250 SuperDuty 6.2 engine failed, threw a rod and some valves. Even though under warranty, Ford and the dealership have only offered to "rebuild" the engine, indicating that even though one piston and cylinder were completely destroyed, they can only supply a "new block, one new head, one new piston and rod, etc.," since most of the cylinders still have good compression after their testing. This should be cause for a new engine, but Ford refuses. After nine Ford trucks, this is my last--they just sold a new Dodge or Chevy... AND, no extended warranty on the repairs...

Old 06-21-2013, 09:33 PM
RDNEWMAN
New User
JUNE 11, 2013--2011 FORD F250 SUPERDUTY FAILURE

Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
I'm going to remain neutral about this one, but ... for all we know, without looking at the engines in question, the same oil-change guy at the dealer didn't do it right (or used the wrong oil), they were all tuned and the guys over-revved them, or some other problem occurred.

I think we would have heard about any catastrophic failures by now, unless it's brand-new vehicles and they are being VERY WELL taken care of by Ford or the dealer
My 2011 F250 SuperDuty 6.2 engine threw a rod and some valves disintegrated and destroyed a piston and one cylinder on June 11, 2013. Ford and the dealership definitely are not handling this well--will only "rebuild" the engine since most of the remaining cylinders have adequate compression. This involved a new block, ONE new head, ONE new piston and rod, using all other parts of the failed engine. I am definitely not satisfied, but this is all Ford states they will do--not even adding more warranty, since this has happened under the powertrain warranty. 12,000 more miles and Ford says I'm on my own...this, even though it is my 9th Ford truck, is my last Ford of any kind. It is now June 21st and I have no truck as of yet.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:22 PM
2011F250Lariat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RDNEWMAN View Post
My 2011 F250 SuperDuty 6.2 engine threw a rod and some valves disintegrated and destroyed a piston and one cylinder on June 11, 2013. Ford and the dealership definitely are not handling this well--will only "rebuild" the engine since most of the remaining cylinders have adequate compression. This involved a new block, ONE new head, ONE new piston and rod, using all other parts of the failed engine. I am definitely not satisfied, but this is all Ford states they will do--not even adding more warranty, since this has happened under the powertrain warranty. 12,000 more miles and Ford says I'm on my own...this, even though it is my 9th Ford truck, is my last Ford of any kind. It is now June 21st and I have no truck as of yet.
I'd be having a fit, so sorry to hear this. Make sure you call customer service and get in contact with your regional customer service rep immidiately and voice your concerns, at the very least they will give you extended warranty.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:49 PM
RDNEWMAN
New User
6.2 ENGINE FAILURE ON JUNE 11, 2013

Again: engine threw a rod, valves discintigrated in one cylinder causing severe damage to the head and block--Ford instructed the dealership to rebuild with a new block, one new head, one new piston, some new valves, etc.
Rebuild was completed on June 25, 2013--the new block Ford supplied is defective, does not have proper pins or drillings--engine has to be removed again, another "new" block from Ford for yet another rebuild!
Have contacted Ford again with no positive results as of yet.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Flatbed Ed
Senior User
Flatbed Ed is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Flatbed Ed View Post
4000 miles and no issues. Hot Shot rig so it gets worked. just put new oil. Mobil 1 extended performance full synthetic. Motor seems to like it. I put a lot of miles so I will keep yall informed of any problems. So far the 6.2 is Super! And I love the 6 speed tranny.
I now have 55,000 miles and no issues. Mobil 1 and MC oil filters.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:58 AM
2011F250Lariat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RDNEWMAN View Post
Again: engine threw a rod, valves discintigrated in one cylinder causing severe damage to the head and block--Ford instructed the dealership to rebuild with a new block, one new head, one new piston, some new valves, etc.
Rebuild was completed on June 25, 2013--the new block Ford supplied is defective, does not have proper pins or drillings--engine has to be removed again, another "new" block from Ford for yet another rebuild!
Have contacted Ford again with no positive results as of yet.

If that's true then they really dropped the ball on this one at the dealership, when rebuilding an engine and using new block, heads or whatever you always inspect all components to make sure they have all the right holes and pins before you reassemble.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:35 AM
GSSF17
Senior User
GSSF17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thread resurrection...

Over one year later and no additional posts or updates on this topic. Hopefully those are isolated incidents. Anyone else with any info that goes beyond rumor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Here is one for ya! 6.2 engine problems

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: