Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

pittsburgh brand tools from harbor freight

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 07:16 PM
BobbyL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I needed some quick cash last week (still do as a matter of fact) and took some tools to the pawnshop. I took a Snap-On tool box ($1100), Snap-On 1/2 dr impact gun ($600), Mac 3/8 air ratchet ($299), Mac 3/8 impact gun ($350), Cornwell flare wrench set ($280) and some little things. The price in parenthesis is what I paid for them new. The air tools still have 7 months of warranty on them and the toolbox is shiny. I went to 3 different pawn shops. First one offered me $100, second one offered me $350, third guy offered me $250. WHOA talk about depreciation. Naturally I told them all I'd pass. I understand taking a hit but I at least want a grand know what I mean?

Old 04-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not so much depreciation, it's just that pawn shop guys want to make a buck, or several hundred. They know what this stuff is worth.
If you want a really good tool at a good price, go for Husky, from Home Depot, or Ridgid from HD. I have a box full of Snap-off, Mac, and Matco tools, as well as a few S-K and Craftsman pieces, and I always hunt for the Huskys first. The really nice thing is that any tool you have, with a lifetime warranty, if it's broken they will honor the warranty. Yep, several times tools on the side of the road have magically become brand new Huskys in my tool box.

Old 04-08-2003, 09:45 PM
mrak
Senior User

Wow, so pawn shops actually do buy things that aren't stolen. I never knew. Seriously though, pawn shops don't seem to pay much money for things. I think you would have better luck on ebay. I see many tools there.
Matt

Old 04-09-2003, 09:47 AM
BobbyL
Senior User

I tried the EBAY thing without success. Guess it's back to the corner for me as a man-ho.

Old 04-24-2003, 09:22 PM
Don Luther
New User

I have purchased 4 sets of their combination wrenchs and am very pleased. The set covers 3/8" thru 1 1/4" & I bought them for $17.83 on sale. I have not tried their sockect sets. Word of caution: They sell a lot of battery powered tools, drills etc., cheap. However, many of them do not come with a 'SMART CHARGER'. They warn you not to over charge the battery. Well, that is just great, but how the hell do you do that? Two other suggestions: (1) don't buy anything you haven't actually looked at. Some of their stuff is crap. (2) Don't buy anything unless it is on sale. They play a lot of games with their prices.

Old 04-29-2003, 04:29 PM
jonald
New User

Originally posted by mrak
Thanks for the input about HF tools. They sound like they would be good to keep a few in the truck for an emergency repair, but not for every day use.
Matt
I do it just the oposite. I keep the cheeper tools around the shop and the better tools in my truck. If I'm at home, I can always get the tools out of the truck but if I'm out, I don't want to be depending on cheep tools.

Old 04-30-2003, 01:25 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My rule:

HF is a good place to get simple tools that I don't use that often, but don't want to mess with borrowing or renting.

You can't deny their prices are just plain cheap.

Example:

Coil spring compressors: local auto parts , about $70

HF: try $7

Tie Rod tool:

I didn't even look elsewhere: HF $5

Normally , I would not buy something I use as often as sockets or wrenches, but I did buy their set of 1/2" deep sockets for my impact wrench. And they work fine.

Old 04-30-2003, 01:48 PM
Freight Train
Senior User

Yeah, right. 17 bucks for a wrench set, and the very first time you chip a knuckle from punching the engine block, you'll curse those tools and never use scrap again.

As far as Crapmaster tools go, the sockets will pass and save you money, scrap the ratchets and put out for the good stuff. A decent ratchet will cost you 30 or 40 dollars, and last you a very long time, and Mac and Snap On won't give you a used ratchet if you do break one, like Sears near here does, or used to, I don't know, we don't go in there any more, not for tools.

For screwdrivers, Break a craftsman tip, and some snotnose at the register will tell you that you were using it for prying, and no warranty. At least, get some Huskies, and they won't give you any lip service. I have some of the Stanley FatMax (12 piece set), and one thing about them, they take all the abuse that my Mac's do and they just keep on going, been using them everyday for about a year now, and the tips are still sharp, even the big one, I think it's a combination flathead screwdiver/coldchisel.

For HF wrenches, get some 6 point combo wrenches. You'll have less of a chance of rounding off a bolt or nut with the 6 point. I wouldn't bother with the 12 point, and don't use the open end, you know, the one that fits 9/16, 19/32, and 14mm all in the same wrench. and start saving for some real wrenches.

I understand when $$$ is tight, I would only buy what I need if I were you, and start saving for some decent stuff.

Edit: DUDE, are you out of your friggin mind. 7 DOLLARS for a tool that applies 2 thousand pounds of pressure on 5 pounds of steel capable of killing you. You are very brave, that is for sure.

During my shop days, I stood within 10 feet of another mechanic that got killed when a compresser let go, and the spring struck his head at full force (It WAS chained, snapped a link). He was dead before he hit the floor.

This persons name was Rob, we went to school, and he was a friend, God rest his soul.

Last edited by Freight Train; 04-30-2003 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:30 PM
RobertH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the HF Impact sockets for the big lugs and they were great! They fit well also. Bought some misc. type tools that were just too expensive from Sears or anywhere else....you know, the one's that you only need on rare occasion...like a wobble extension set for my 3/8" ratchet. Thought that would be something that might come in handy....well, just changed the plugs on my daughter's blazer through the fender wells and thank myself for buying those wobble extensions! They were the only way to get those plugs out! They only cost about $3 for an entire set!

Old 04-30-2003, 11:59 PM
ZRX61
Senior User

Originally posted by Torque1st
FACOM, which is based in France. FACOM in turn is owned by another holding company also based in France.

Not any more, Facom is now owned by Britool in the UK

Old 05-10-2003, 08:00 AM
mptai
Freshman User

If you want some cheap tools, My dad, and myself have a bunch of the Popular Mechanic tools, from WALMART. haven't had any problems with them. The ones that broke were from operator error (my dads, of course). And most people will aggree that WALMART will take anything back. Heres a trick if you don't ave a receipt, and they are ****** about it:-x02. Go in buy a new one. Come back in a about 30 minutes and say it just broke. Works everytime!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2003, 01:45 PM
TexasBronco
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My local Walmart is selling an extensive line of Stanley tools. Quality looks good, perhaps not as good as Craftsman, but close. I bought a set of 11 metric sockets for $10, and replaced my ratchet screwdriver for $8.

I have a set of sockets and inexpensive ratchet from HF. The ratchet is too coarse ratchet rotation between steps, and I never use it. The sockets have worked fine, however the extensively used 10mm has "wallowed" out, hence the Stanley purchase at Walmart. But for $4.99, it's hard to complain.

I would stay away from the Chicago Electric tools. I bought a CE cordless drill. The tool was OK, but battery and charger were trash, hence tool was soon useless. I wouldn't spend the money to buy a replacement.

I found a tool site w/ inexpensive tools. I bought a 3/4" breaker bar for $7.99. I have a Honda harmonic balancer pulley retaining bolt that I bought this bad boy for. I like the heft and quality. Shipping and handling charges were very reasonable also.

The Toolman's Shed

goods

Old 05-11-2003, 10:59 PM
deanjet
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Want to know why Snap-On tools cost so much, follow your Snap-On tools dealer home. You probably won't get to follow him all the way though, you will most likely be stopped by the security guards at his gated community! They make some nice stuff, but you would think they should be gold plated with the prices they charge.
I would have to agree with the guy who recommended Home Depot for tools. Just about as nice as Snap-On at a small fraction of the cost.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:20 AM
AKWilly
New User
Gear Wrench are pretty good tools and come with a lifetime warranty. They are now also sold at NAPA which is handy for warranty repalcement. I get my Gear Wrench at COSTCO for a good price. Same stuff you can get at NAPA for double. They are also being carried at many other stores.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:46 AM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be honest I've had decent lucky with the HF professional series. Are they the best,no, but on the other hand when money is tight they aren't bad at all. I've also bought their impact sockets and have had good luck with them. The regular sockets I haven't tried though. A lot of it depends on how hard you will use them. Do you have a HF store where you could go and buy or exchange if needed? I also would wonder if you want to spend money on real good tools only to have them stolen again. Especially if you have a store close I'd buy a basic set. If you don't like them then I'd return them. Even if later you do get a good set I'd keep them as a backup set.

Quick Reply: pittsburgh brand tools from harbor freight