Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

pittsburgh brand tools from harbor freight

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:33 AM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For my part while SO makes some pretty tools I can't say that I like their designs in the ones we use at least. Their combination wrenches are nice and thin, but also uncomforable when making a hard pull because of the thin edge that isn't rounded. The cushion grip ratchets break the end of the cushion handle off because the rod stops about an inch short and leaves it unsupported. The ratchet heads are thick and big so aren't much use in tight places. Unless the dealer comes around or will meet you then you are at his mercy of buying more or having a replacement. From what I've read a lot depends on the individual dealer on how much they will work with you also.
The Pittsburg Pro series that I've bought have a good feel and finish. For what I bought them for and have used them for I have no complaints. But at least with HF or Craftsman I can go anytime during the day or evening and get a new tool or replacement. I don't expect Pittsburg tools to be the best, but I do believe that for the average person at home they will fit the bill in many cases.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:19 PM
427SOHC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will also say that HF / Pittsburgh tools are not terrible, there are better choices. I own a few HF tools and when one has broken they have yet to ask me why or how and they tell me to get the replacement.

I purchased a small 12 volt winch with the extended warranty, I have broken it twice and not by mechanical failure, but by alot of use and abuse, they cover it and start my 2 year warranty over and never have asked what I did to it.

My latest addition from HF is the english wheel, for the price 249.00 it is a very good piece of equipment and I have got some good use out of it.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:38 PM
427SOHC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Customcab
I agree with majority of these comments; not everyone needs or can afford Professional Tools like Snap - On. I buy mostly Craftsmans, and I agree with Wiseguy; the only Pittsburgh tools worth a flip are the impact sockets. I've had one crack and took it back to amom & pops' type store and they exchange it on the spot, I only had to give them the plastic container holder,so they could ship it back to china.
The worst set of Craftsman tools I've purchase is their line wrenches, IMO; But on thier defense; most of the time if I need to remove a brake line etc; its beyond wrench capabilties and either vise grips or cutters are the only option.

Mitch
Mitch, I agree with you here on the name brands, I have a set of pittsburgh impact sockets I purchased in 1987 and I still have an unbroken set.

I will only purchase tools from Snap-On, Matco and Mac whe I need a specialty tool that I cannot find anywhere else, I pay cash and the time or two I have placed a large purchase "500-1000" with them I ask for a discount since I am paying them with CASH, I have yet to be turned down.

The tool trucks do have some great tools but are they selling tools or are they selling the financing?????? good, bad or no credit is no problem they sell to all on weekly payment plans.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Received 238 Likes on 212 Posts
Harbor Freight does stand behind their warranty. Let's face it: you know what you're getting over there. I've broken their hand tools, and they have replaced them. No hassle. The last time was with a socket set. For less than $5, what did I expect? I didn't expect the socket to break doing an oil change. But no big deal. They gave me a new one. Not just a new socket. They gave me a whole new set. I threw the Harbor Freight socket set and a set of wrenches in the trunk of the girlfriend's Honda. Of course, knowing that she would probably never use it, I'm not doing myself any favors. It's going to be me on the side of a dark, lonely road, in bad weather, out of cell phone range, and stuck with a set of tools breaking on me as I try to get that Honda started.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:06 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have come to calling Harbor Freight "China Freight". Everythiung they sell seems like it is made in China. I don't care if it has a warranty, when I working 300 miles away from home I don't want my tool to break. What good does a warranty do then?
If you look closely at their tools you will realize they get their strength from bulk rather from quality steel. Their socket wall thickness is sometimes twice what a Proto or snap-on or even Crafstman socket will be. Makes it impossible to engage the socket in many instances.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Let's put Harbor Freight in perspective. It's your "One Stop, Use One Time" tool store.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:55 AM
wiseguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by rikfish
Let's put Harbor Freight in perspective. It's your "One Stop, Use One Time" tool store.
Pretty much. But they are good tools to leave in your car or truck. If they get rusty or stolen, it's not like you'll be out hundreds of dollars.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Phinxter
Posting Guru
I found HF a hit or miss. I have some 1/2 impact sockets I abuse daily for about 5 years and they never broke, for $15, then I bought a 3/8 set and boy those were crap broke most of them in 6 months time. I have an assortment of air tools that have been good no complaints for the price except an air grease gun, tried 2 and both were junk. I found the made in Taiwan the better tools. Actually alot of good tools are made there. I just bought a set of Sunex 3/8 impact sockets made in Taiwan and are very impressed with the quality, and not to mention they were $23. I seem to remember Made in Japan the big joke in the 70's, Taiwan the 80's. How many japanese tools do you see now, I have a Mitutoyo dial indicator and it's a fine as anything made here.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:35 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Phinxter
I found HF a hit or miss. I have some 1/2 impact sockets I abuse daily for about 5 years and they never broke, for $15, then I bought a 3/8 set and boy those were crap broke most of them in 6 months time. I have an assortment of air tools that have been good no complaints for the price except an air grease gun, tried 2 and both were junk. I found the made in Taiwan the better tools. Actually alot of good tools are made there. I just bought a set of Sunex 3/8 impact sockets made in Taiwan and are very impressed with the quality, and not to mention they were $23. I seem to remember Made in Japan the big joke in the 70's, Taiwan the 80's. How many japanese tools do you see now, I have a Mitutoyo dial indicator and it's a fine as anything made here.
I have a bunch of HF impact sockets, no complaints there (yet). I did just buy a set of step drills that are real POS. I should have known better! You get what you pay for.

As for Mitutoyo measuring instruments, they are above average in quality, but no where near Federal or L.S. Starrett tools. I worked in the repair / calibration field for 25+ years. I purchased a lot of Mitutoyo tools for the companies I worked for, but tried to keep them out of high usage areas. The price was right on these.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:45 PM
jeffboubel
New User
pitsburg tools serve a very good purpose. If you need a particular tool and only need it for a one or two time use, they are great and cheap.But you do get what you pay for. they do not last. i have had several wrenches spread on me leading to fingernails getting ripped clean off and the invention of new cuss words. i just bought a chanel lock brand set from tractor supply company, and am very impressed. Husky from home depot also makes very good hand tools. i buy paint guns from harbor frieght cause they dont cost enough to go through the pain of cleaning them you just throw em away and buy another one next time you need it.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Phinxter
Posting Guru
I have a bunch of HF impact sockets, no complaints there (yet). I did just buy a set of step drills that are real POS. I should have known better! You get what you pay for.

As for Mitutoyo measuring instruments, they are above average in quality, but no where near Federal or L.S. Starrett tools. I worked in the repair / calibration field for 25+ years. I purchased a lot of Mitutoyo tools for the companies I worked for, but tried to keep them out of high usage areas. The price was right on these.
I also have those step drills and they work ok for infrequent use on sheet metal or softer stuff which is all I need them for.

I can't argue with a guy who used the best measurement tools I have no need for measuring tools of extreme high quality. Like anything else if your gonna use a tool to make a living it's worth spending the bucks to get the best.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I used to buy nothing but HF tools for work........If it gets broken or stolen by unscrupulous co-workers......no big loss!.......Only the finest Red Chinese quality!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:45 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a set of those step drill bits, and have no problems with them. I just used one of them yesterday to drill 10 holes in 3/16" thick channel iron on my trailer to put in eye bolts for tie downs.
I have a few sets of the impact sockets that I've had for about 20 years and they are still good as new. I don't trust their wrenches or regular sockets though. I had a set of line wrenches that were'nt worth a crap, they ended going to the scrap metal yard, and were replaced with a set of Craftsman line wrenches, which are still going strong.
While we're talking about HF, I got a set of their magnetic towing lights, and used themm yesterday on my trailer, because the wireing is shot. Well I lost one of them on the way to where I was going, it fell off and now is lost. i looked for it on the way home with no luck.
I forgot to check when I got home to see if the other one is still there, but I have a feeling it's gone too. I'm going to take the set back and get my money back.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:35 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn chinese magnets.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:25 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts
I have a set of the step drills and I've abused the snot out of them the past year. Used them for everything from sheet metal, lots of frame holes for my SAS, even 1/4" or so steel that I've had to pretty much go back and forth from both sides as its thicker than one step on the bit. I actually can't believe how well it works!

I have a couple sets of the cheap impacts as well, I think one is cummins tools, the other HF, basically the same, only complaint I've had was they didn't have an 18mm or 15mm which I've needed multiple times, but aparently are never in any set..?

Other stuff is touch and go though. I've had decent luck so far with a couple of their air tools, but a cheapy seal puller bent the first time I used it. The cut off wheels don't last as long as the dewalt ones I've had, but the HF pack is cheap enough it makes up for it. I picked up one of their pressure sandblasters last fall, don't know if my sand is wet, or the air is too wet, but its worked like crap the few times I tried..

I don't have much money, and I'm usually happy with Craftsman stuff, but some of that cheap HF stuff has really helped at times. But I'd much rather be able to spend more for something dependable if I can afford it.

Quick Reply: pittsburgh brand tools from harbor freight