Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Just Used SuperChip Supertuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Black Mack
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just Used SuperChip Supertuner

Just wanted to pass along results of having just installed 60HP program from supertuner in my 01 PSD F-350,auto,DRW supercab.
Wasn't even thinking about doing this till reading responses to my thread thread earlier on whether the "tornado" was any good. Got me looking around this and other sites and saw that this/other chips promised milage gains of 2-5 MPG on the 7.3PSD.
Well, it took about 5 minutes to open the box and install the program and this product lives up to its promise. Acceleration is unreal improvement and MPG (have digital readout in overhead) on ride to and from work today (75 miles round trip) gave me 21.2 vs 16.8 before. Driving is combo light to light and steady 55.
Anyway thanks to allwho responded to my questions on the tornado and got me looking for alternatives. Back in the late 60s and early 70s, I had to replace manifolds, buy double pumper hollys, install headers and cam and maybe I would get close to the results I got yesterday, but milage went to hell. Anyway, has anyone else had equal results and does anyone know the downseide to using this thing. It does seem to good to be true. I used the "mild" 60HP and literature says that my towing limit is not affected and I don't have to worry about excessive EGTs either. Anyone got any scoop on this. Thanks again, look forward to hearing from you.

Old 04-03-2003, 09:31 PM
DCClark
Junior User

I can't answer your questions as I'm new to this and haven't had the experience, hopefully someone else will though.

I was woundering with the superchips programmer is there a way to program it back to stock? I am on a tossup between the Diablo Delta, and the Superchips programmers. Being able to go back to stock for "warranty" work is a big thing for me. I might have overlooked it on the superchip info page. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2003, 10:33 PM
pcwirepro
Senior User

Black Mack,

Don't be too quick to assume your MPG have gone up. The tuner throws off your overhead console. My mpg went down by 1.5. If I can keep my foot out of it I can get 16.5 which is what I got stock.

As for the exhaust gas temps, you definately need to worry. I can get my temps up to 1200* without trying very hard. If you don't have gauges or a 4" exhaust I would be very careful. That $300.00 programmer can end up costing you $7000.00 in engine repairs.

Old 04-04-2003, 04:06 AM
johnp034
Freshman User

Black Mack, I also hav the Superchip tuner, but I plugged in the 80hp right away quick. Fantastic results. I had a slight gain in mpg's. (manually, not off the console) Problem is its hard to keep my foot out of it. I also installed the Banks Monster 4" exhaust, turbo back, and recieved a little more oomph. Great system! Do the exhaust too, so you don't have to worry about the EGT's. The Superchips does nothing for the Trans. shifts, still sloppy.

Old 04-04-2003, 04:58 AM
SouthernDually
Elder User

You didn't say which system you put in. Was it the superchip or the Diablo?
Your the first F350 DRW I've seen around with the same set up that I was wanting. Your giving me more and more confidence in the performance gain. Everyone else seems to think that It is the Superchip. I would be interested in a Dually comparison.
Any out there??

God Bless out Troops

Old 04-04-2003, 04:30 PM
rvfiver
Senior User

I too have the 01 F-350 DRW, 2 wheel dr, with a 4.10 rear end, auto tranny. I have been using the superchips microtuner for about 9 months on the lower 60 HP program. A huge difference in preformance over stock. I tested the MPG by milage not the overhead and noticed about 3-3.5 mpg increase. I now get 17+ mpg as where I use to get 13.5 sometime 14 with a tailwind. (Not towing) Be careful though, even on the lower program I would watch the EGT's. I tow a 13,000 lb 5th wheel and towing up steep mountains I was getting up to 1250 degrees+. I changed to a flowthrough muffler and added a cold air intake to bring it down. Now I seldom get over 1200 degrees. I suppose the reason you're getting such good milage is because you have the 3.73 vs my 4.10 rear end. That plus you're foot may not be as heavy as mine. And to answer the question about returning the program to stock, yes you can. It's as easy as could be and I do it everytime I take my truck in for service. Soon as I pick it up, even before I drive it off the lot I reprogram it back again.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Black Mack
New User

Yes I am using the superChip supertuner. I have the 3.373 gearing. I am concerned what pcwirepro was saying about temperatures. If I'm not towing or leadfooting in hills, do you still think EGTs may be a problem. I do plan to get the big exhaust at some point, but can't afford now. i concensus is that regular driving with 60HP program is riskiy without big exhaust or monitor, I need to go back to stock. Also want to note that my overhead milage console is now acting funny and milage drops when sitting at light standing still. never did that before chip. Now, driving around town, milage reads terrible. on highway it is great. anyone else have this condition. I'll know in a couple of days what actual calculation of milage is and will post. may even e-mail superchip to ask them what the story is. Please help with real/actual info on temperature business. Particularly if you have a stock exhaust and monitor and can give me actuals equivalent to my set-up.
Look forward to hearing from you and thanks for responses already received!!

Old 04-04-2003, 09:47 PM
pcwirepro
Senior User

BlackMack,

Don't let me scare you out of using your programmer in the 60 or even 80 hp mode. The reasen I said to worry was that you said that your towing limits were not affected. I assumed you might be thinking of towing something. Without any load at all you shouldn't see egt's higher than 1000* When I pull 6500# I can get up to 1250* at half throttle.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:52 PM
pcwirepro
Senior User

Here is another thread.

http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/sho...hreadid=109676

Old 04-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Black Mack
New User

Appreciate your follow-up dcwirepro. I was pretty concerned that I might be on limit of EGTs without knowing. Towing is pretty limited till fall so I will be OK based on your info and what literature says. Think I will go for some gages and larger pipes, just take more time doing it.

Old 04-12-2003, 08:31 AM
Black Mack
New User

I wanted to report in on my MPG after my first fill-up. MPG WENT DOWN from17 tp 16.5. My overhead console has had me pumped up all weeklong, BUT it now lies. Disappointed. have e-mailed question to this sites link to SuperChip(regarding overhead MPG console)and have received now reply in seven days.

Old 04-12-2003, 11:16 PM
jakedog
New User

I also had the same problem with my SuperChip SuperTuner I contacted SuperChip by phone and they told me that their is nothing they can do about it and if I didnt like it I could return it. They were rude and were of no help, I felt like they could care less.

Old 04-13-2003, 12:46 AM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Question Just Used SuperChip Supertuner

I hated to hear about the superchip people giving you the runaround. It really makes you wonder about the product if thats the kind of service they are giving. I had ordered the superchip programer but now am taking a second look at it. If the company wants me to spend 400 bucks for thier product they should at least show some concern if a customer has a question.
Makes you want to say Huuummmmmmmm

I wonder how the Diablo people are with thier product. anybody have any answers out here?

God Bless our Troops:

Old 04-13-2003, 01:01 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Black Mack
I wanted to report in on my MPG after my first fill-up. MPG WENT DOWN from17 tp 16.5. My overhead console has had me pumped up all weeklong, BUT it now lies. Disappointed. have e-mailed question to this sites link to SuperChip(regarding overhead MPG console)and have received now reply in seven days.
You send me an email on 4-4-2003 at 12:38 pm, EST. I responded on 4-4-2003 at 11:29 pm, EST. The server logs said your Internet provide accepted the email:

maillog.1:Apr 5 11:34:52 ford-trucks sendmail[20600]: h35GYol20595: to=----@inna.net, ctladdr=motorhaven.com (503/100), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=esmtp, pri=31742, relay=cephalopod.inna.net. [209.201.74.25], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Ok: queued as 463A91129D)

Here's the reply I sent:

FirstName: Andy

LastName: gallagher

>>COMMENT: I have just installed the 60HP program from the Superchip microtuner(just urchased new). Have read several posts in forum that I need to be carfull with EGTs(Ihave stock exhaust and no pro) and driving without these mods is risky. I am not towing and no hills nearby. Is this a real risk or not?? <<

We've sold hundreds of them without a single incident since they were released 14 months ago. The 60HP program is safe for all but extreme towing.

>>Also, My overhead console-MPG readout is acting funny since program install. At steady highway, I'm getting a readout of22MPG. Come to a stoplight and the MPG slowly drops while the vehicle is sitting still. This never happened-pre chip. Figure the stock program only averages while rolling and buffers out stopped data.. can you tell me what is up with this aspect??. Like the tuner..power and "apparent" milage is great just slightly worried about running stock systems with program in and ruining my truck.<<

The mileage computer will be off in some cases after installing a tune. I suggest measuring real world results against it so you have a baseline to know how far its off (it should be pretty consistant in the error percentage).

Its rather unusual for someone to complain about the service I provided for something they bought from someone else. I'd say my service was superb. Something to consider.....

Old 04-13-2003, 04:24 AM
SouthernDually
Elder User

Got a point there webmaster. I didn't think that he had said that he got it from the FTE store but I don't know. If in fact he did then your right.
Is the superchip or programer sold thru the FTE or is it seperate entirely? Just a question, and no I wasn't looking for some discount. Is the FTE store a seperate item from the site and where are you located?
Thanks, just some questions, thats all. This is a great site, and keep up the good work.

God Bless our Troops.

Quick Reply: Just Used SuperChip Supertuner