6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Wrench light/ egr?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:46 AM
ramrod2624
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrench light/ egr?

I looked but have not found an answer to my question yet. so here goes
Will a bad EGR valve cause the wrench light to come on when towing?
Here's what happened this weekend. I am towing a 28 foot trailer with a 2005 F250 115,000 miles on it. the truck was running fine pulling good until I hit a incline just outside the cowchilla valley. I started to pull the hill and the engine seemed to rev high the rpms went to 2500 and wouldn drop the boost climbed to just about 30 psi. I had put it in tow/ haul mode as well. then the wrench light came on and the truck went into limp mode. I made the hill finally but really lost power. I now know from the manual that it was in limp mode and governed the throttle.I made it to my destination and cleared the trouble by shutting the engine off. on the way home the truck started off good and about 150 miles in and pulling another hill it did it to me again. I stopped and pulled off shut the engine down and the light cleared. this time I watched and the light came on just about when the boost hit 30 psi. I took it easy the rest of the way home not allowing the truck to boost over 20 psi. but the rpms seemed to rev hi at time and not drop like its not shifting right. the boost comes up when this happens as well. it also seemed like the trubo was poping a bit if I got into it a little and I backed off. when I got off the freeway the check engine light came on. This morning I started the truck and the light was off.... the truck seems to run good with no load but I need to find out whats going on. I have not ran codes, but will try and get it to some place to see what codes come up.
any ideas?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:04 AM
florida_1959
Senior User
sounds like you might have the oil and water temps getting to big a spread. If you have a newer flash then the wrench light can come on when the temps are different more than 15 degrees. you will notice this especially on the highway and for sure when towing, if your oil cooler is getting clogged. if that is the case then be careful to run it because extended running with a clogged oil cooler can cause the EGR cooler to fail and introduce coolant to places it shouldnt be.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:20 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
not shure but it maybe an overboost condition IDK 30psi boost seams borderline to me I would think it would have to get alittle higher before it set the light
the oil and coolant deltas could turn on the cel but I dont think it puts it into any kind a limp mode

get a scangauge you would be able to watch alot more whenthings start to happen

Old 08-22-2011, 11:36 AM
phantomphixer
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same happens to me 06 F350 DRW 50K miles

Same happened to me. Goes into limp mode during long hill pull. Took to dealer, they changed oil cooler (so they say). Happened again. Fault codes were as follows: P0402 P0404 EGR related. Just did an EGR valve/cooler delete and am planning on heading out this weekend to check same. Am awaiting my new SCT X3 tuner, should be here today.
I'll post what happens on monday. I've got a 20 mile long hill to pull north of Phoenix on friday. I'm only pulling 8K with a 1ton. 8K shouldn't even make the truck hesitate.

P0402 ERG Flow Excessive Detected
P0404 ERG Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit

Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 AM
wezol5484
Postmaster

I had the wrench light come on while cruising down the highway, it would come on anywhere between 15-30 minutes cruising about 60-70 mph, but it never felt like it went into a limp mode.

Does it come on while cruising in town?

I replaced my oil cooler and did an EGR delete, then pulled my horse trailer about 2 hours and it never came on again.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:03 PM
ramrod2624
New User
Originally Posted by phantomphixer
Same happened to me. Goes into limp mode during long hill pull. Took to dealer, they changed oil cooler (so they say). Happened again. Fault codes were as follows: P0402 P0404 EGR related. Just did an EGR valve/cooler delete and am planning on heading out this weekend to check same. Am awaiting my new SCT X3 tuner, should be here today.
I'll post what happens on monday. I've got a 20 mile long hill to pull north of Phoenix on friday. I'm only pulling 8K with a 1ton. 8K shouldn't even make the truck hesitate.

P0402 ERG Flow Excessive Detected
P0404 ERG Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit
When you say egr valve/ cooler delete, is this when you un plug the EGR valve so that it stays in the open position?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:08 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
The only thing the wrench light really means is that you have a code. The problem could be any number of things. Unless you pull the code you're just guessing.

It should be simple to get the code, then you know for sure what you need to fix.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 PM
ramrod2624
New User
ok so I had the codes read and it comes up as over boost and under boost. also it came up with an egr code. the guy cleared the codes before I could write down the actual numbers. So again ill ask, can a bad egr valve cause the over boost under boost condition? what would be the fix for this? I have only experienced the issue when towing and pulling a big hill.
thanks you guys are great!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ramrod2624
ok so I had the codes read and it comes up as over boost and under boost. also it came up with an egr code. the guy cleared the codes before I could write down the actual numbers. So again ill ask, can a bad egr valve cause the over boost under boost condition? what would be the fix for this? I have only experienced the issue when towing and pulling a big hill.
thanks you guys are great!
yes clean the egr valve

and a turbo clean would be a good idea sounds like its veins are sticken casing your overboost problem

heres a good read on turbo rebuild/clean

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ml#post9449262

Old 08-25-2011, 10:24 PM
ramrod2624
New User
so I replaced the egr valve since I know it was fouled and never replaced in 11300 miles. now the question is should I have the truck checked and run thru a diagnostics to see if any codes come up or try and make it go into an over/ under boost condtion. or should I just have the turbo cleaned?
I ordered a scangauge II to use to monitor the engine better. and reading some of the tech am wondering if I should replace the oil cooler and erg cooler.
thoughts?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
once you get the SG you can watch ECT vs EOT for oil cooler condition
you need to get both temp deltas when the temps top out at 65mph

I think the turbo will hav to be cleaned but you could clear the codes and try it worth a shot

you will also be abble to watch VGT duty cycle% it controls the turbo veins

Old 08-30-2011, 07:52 PM
petcutz
New User
This just happened to me over the weekend towing up hill. The wrench light came on and it went into limp mode. I just had the turbo cleaned a few weeks ago. I pulled over let it cool down a few mins and then restarted it. Seem to do fine the rest of the way home. After only one year I am just getting tired of it costing so much to keep it going. It seems like its always something, either needs service or somethings not working right. I miss my old dependable gasser!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:29 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
From what Ford has stated, a faulty EGR valve will not cause a Turbo code.

ramrod2624 -
With 30 psig boost, I would clean the turbo, but it may need an EBP sensor, MAP sensor, a VGT solenoid, new unison ring, etc.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Mich6.0
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Petcutz do you have a coolant filter? Just cuz you got a new oil cooler doesn't mean the cooler will not gunk up again because the junk is still in the system

Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by petcutz
This just happened to me over the weekend towing up hill. The wrench light came on and it went into limp mode. I just had the turbo cleaned a few weeks ago. I pulled over let it cool down a few mins and then restarted it. Seem to do fine the rest of the way home. After only one year I am just getting tired of it costing so much to keep it going. It seems like its always something, either needs service or somethings not working right. I miss my old dependable gasser!
how hot did it get

hows the coolant leval

hows the oil leval

you need gauges on these theres alot more operating systems on this 6.0 than your old gasser

Quick Reply: Wrench light/ egr?