10.25 Sterling

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:12 AM
fasthauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
10.25 Sterling

Any of you rear end Guru’s out there got any idea why the drive or pull side of the teeth looks like this. The coast side teeth look clean. These were Yukon gears, installed by a very reputable differential shop. I drove it very carefully for the first 500 miles as per Yukon’s specifications. I didn’t get the break-in lube changed out until 980 miles and I flushed out the third member when I did change it. I left the cover off for a day in a clean environment to make sure all of the flush had drained before putting the cover back on and refilling it with standard lube. It now has a little less than 20k on it so I decided to pull the cover and clean it up good and put synthetic in it. That is when I noticed the galling on the pull side of the teeth. I haven’t done any heaving pulling except one trip back from Yuma, about 290 miles, with over 3k of cement blocks in the bed. Is this something to be concerned about?

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:54 PM
master_mechanic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not an expert but i have helped rebuild a few diffs, in the bottom left side it looks like the pinion is running more towards the outside of the ring. looks to me like the pinion isnt shimmed out far enough.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:45 AM
YearsOfDecay
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at your Anti-lock sensor ring gear (or exciter or whateve they call it).. can see its all smashed at the bottom right of the photo...

It looks like its been pounded with a hammer

the patterns on the teeth look like pieces of the gear have been smashed between the ring and pinion... (this would also explain why the coast side is clean)

it also looks like the rear end is out of align as the pattern is towards the heel and thus needs a thicker pinion shim....

Its usually hard to tell on a wet ring without any marker compound, but in this case, it looks like the pieces metal have marked the faces for us....

I'm not the extreme guru.. so i don't know if your ring gear is Kaput.. However... I'd probably run it LOL!!!!

but you do need to figure out why the ABS exciter is all mashed up.