6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Loosing Power & Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:44 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I lock out 6th if I'm driving 50 MPH or less during a regen.
The engine seems to run better that way on the harsher active regens.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 PM
jgut
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I am having the same trouble with my 2011 6.7 turbo diesel F250 4X4. It always happens around the cleaning cycle. It always feels like I'm on a bumpy road. It took awhile for me to figure out the pattern. I took it to the dealership and they could not find any codes and told me to bring it back when It is the cleaning mode. Fat chance, It always is at an inconvenient time. Very frustrating! I hope someone can come up with a fix.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:47 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Yea, that statement is simply to get you out the door.
You can only guess when a regen is due and if it's any distance over a few miles then it will be done by the time you get there or it will stop from too much idle time waiting for someone.

I guess you could drive it around close to when you think you have your normal regen.
Then a tech could connect their IDS and monitor the soot gpl count and drive it around until you get to 2.66.
Regens begin soon after (a few minutes) the numbers reach 2.66 soot GPL.
The truck computer reports this information so I'm assuming IDS has an option to read it.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:38 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Just wondering ....... of all the guys posting these issues, what is your average driving style. I drive interstate, never below 75 mph, and side highways usually 60-65 mph. My starts are usually quicker than most and my rpm's are generally up around 2800-3000 before it shifts out.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:50 AM
jgut
New User
I'm what is described as a soccer dad. My drive these days is around 10 miles each way with speeds up to about 50. I do drive distances on the weekends on the Highway at speeds up to 80mph 180 miles round trip with no load on flat roads. Yesterday, I did notice that locking out the 6 gear helps with my problem at lower speeds. If that is the issue, they should have programed it that way!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 PM
trails2004
New User
Originally Posted by jgut
I am having the same trouble with my 2011 6.7 turbo diesel F250 4X4. It always happens around the cleaning cycle. It always feels like I'm on a bumpy road. It took awhile for me to figure out the pattern. I took it to the dealership and they could not find any codes and told me to bring it back when It is the cleaning mode. Fat chance, It always is at an inconvenient time. Very frustrating! I hope someone can come up with a fix.
I had the exact problems three weeks ago- I took the truck in - the dealer re-calibrated the brain box ( their words ) not mine- and cleaned the DEF the old fashioned way ( again their words) So far the truck is shifting much better

Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Outback101
Freshman User
Same Problem...sort of

I have had the same problem the original poster described but only when I hit an abrupt or very hard bump. Loss of power, truck downshifts trying to maintain but cannot, pull off road and engine is missing and sounds nasty, no codes. Turn truck off and restart and it is like it never happened. This has happened twice, dealer has found nothing. Sometimes I think I feel a temporary loss of power when I hit a bump that is not as hard like an overpass transition but it it seems to fix itself almost as fast as it happened.

Are there no fuel filter codes or shouldn't something code when the truck is obviously missing and running rough? What kind of problem could avoid throwing any codes?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:30 AM
trails2004
New User
Originally Posted by Outback101
I have had the same problem the original poster described but only when I hit an abrupt or very hard bump. Loss of power, truck downshifts trying to maintain but cannot, pull off road and engine is missing and sounds nasty, no codes. Turn truck off and restart and it is like it never happened. This has happened twice, dealer has found nothing. Sometimes I think I feel a temporary loss of power when I hit a bump that is not as hard like an overpass transition but it it seems to fix itself almost as fast as it happened.

Are there no fuel filter codes or shouldn't something code when the truck is obviously missing and running rough? What kind of problem could avoid throwing any codes?
My truck did not throw any codes as well- the computers were doing what they thought they were supposed to do--- the re-calibration has taken care of the issues ( knock on wood LOL )

Old 11-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Outback101
Freshman User
Found a fix on my truck

With my truck throwing no codes when loosing power and sounding/running rough we got lucky had this problem occur close to the dealers. In the past if I had shut the truck off and restarted the problem disappeared and with no codes to check we were kind of in the dark looking for the problem.

Here is what we found when we were able to catch the truck doing this and get a laptop hooked up to it. One bank of injectors was out. When the ECM detects a shorted injector it will take out all four on that bank, even for just a momentary short, and leave them out until you restart the truck. I had had this problem occur at various times, sometimes associated with a bump sometimes not. Doesn't record or leave a code after you have restarted, have to catch it in the act. So with the truck acting up and laptop connected, showing four injectors not working, one of the suggested problems was a faulty or shorted injector. There are three wiring harness's coming from (ECM?) the controller on the passenger side firewall. The harness in the middle, the larger one, had been contacting the engine about one foot from the controller and had a small rub on the outside. When flexing the harness and contacting the block we were able to duplicate the problem. They repaired the harness, got a little slack into it by manipulating it, and also added a piece of plastic conduit over the harness in that area to prevent it from reoccurring should it rub there again.
Happy camper once again. Hope this helps someone else out. It has been a hard problem to get run down.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Enviroguy
New User
My 2013 F250 Platinum is having this same issue. I've noticed loss of power and the engine from inside the cab sounds like a sprung diving board after someone jumps off of it. I've noticed it happens just before a exhaust cleaning and usually happens after I fill up. I run my truck to about a quarter tank and fill up every 2 days. Last time this happened, I was turning left off of a highway and nearly got hit by on coming traffic because it bogged down just as I committed to the left hand turn. Dealership service told me "sometimes the turbo's don't line up and it'll cause a loss of power. We currently don't have a fix for this issue". I'm losing faith in my new truck. It has less than 5,000 miles and it's having issues. Quirky Sync issues, rear end bounces down the freeway at 70-75mph, TPMS faults because I'm charging my phone, side mirrors open and close at different rates, loss of power at random times. Please help!

Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Enviroguy
My 2013 F250 Platinum is having this same issue. I've noticed loss of power and the engine from inside the cab sounds like a sprung diving board after someone jumps off of it. I've noticed it happens just before a exhaust cleaning and usually happens after I fill up. I run my truck to about a quarter tank and fill up every 2 days. Last time this happened, I was turning left off of a highway and nearly got hit by on coming traffic because it bogged down just as I committed to the left hand turn. Dealership service told me "sometimes the turbo's don't line up and it'll cause a loss of power. We currently don't have a fix for this issue". I'm losing faith in my new truck. It has less than 5,000 miles and it's having issues. Quirky Sync issues, rear end bounces down the freeway at 70-75mph, TPMS faults because I'm charging my phone, side mirrors open and close at different rates, loss of power at random times. Please help!
I'm happy to check out some options to assist, Enviroguy. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest!

Crystal

Old 08-15-2013, 02:14 PM
anderschultz
New User
Having the same problem. We had a code generated finally and took it in, they couldn't find the problem and asked to come back so they could look at each injector. When I brought it back in today, since there wasn't another code regenerated they said there is no problem. I've noticed it from shift 2-3 while turning corner, pulling a load or not.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Enviroguy
New User
Originally Posted by anderschultz
Having the same problem. We had a code generated finally and took it in, they couldn't find the problem and asked to come back so they could look at each injector. When I brought it back in today, since there wasn't another code regenerated they said there is no problem. I've noticed it from shift 2-3 while turning corner, pulling a load or not.
I'll take a wild guess, you had a cylinder 8 miss fire? I did and the nice folks at jiffy lube cleared it and it hasn't been on since. I guess the vehicle health report isn't good enough for the dealership either because they said they didn't have access to it and needed the code to figure out the problem.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:19 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by anderschultz
Shoot me your info in a PM so I can look into this, anderschultz. Please include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal