Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Looking for U-pull junkyards in PA

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 AM
yitzy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for U-pull junkyards in PA

I plan on making an all-day trip to Pennsylvania next week to visit some U-pull junkyards. (I live in NYC and there are none nearby.) I need various parts for my 1997 Aerostar. It runs fine, and served me so well these past weeks, that I decided to invest some time (but little money) to try to keep it around. So I am going to try to fix up the little things.

The problem is that I don't know too many of them, and the ones I knew years ago may no longer even be open.

I don't even know what they are called, because I know that U-Pull is a specific name for Harry's U-Pull.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Harry's U-Pull is still in business with three locations. However, I really don't like them because they are high-priced, nasty, and maybe even a rip-off. The last time I went there, I found a not-so-good rear bumper for my 1994 Aerostar (my previous vehicle.) In case you don't know, it is a one-piece plastic bumper. I spent a long time getting it off the rusty vehicle it was attached too, and when I got up to the counter to check out, the lady there says something like: "One Bumper Cover - $50, Bumper Reinforcement - $30, Bumper Mount - $20, Bumper Moulding - $20, etc..." The total came out to about $130 for a single one-piece part. I tried arguing that there was no reinforcement or moulding or cover, just a bumper. (They did have a price listed for just a bumper that was only $30.) I was pissed, and ended up not buying it and going home empty-handed.

Other yards used to be very nice, and wouldn't even charge me anything for all the miscellaneous little pieces that I collected along with the major parts, like switches, *****, nuts, bolts, and screws, etc... There was one in New Ringold or something that I don't remember the name of.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Most of the Aerostars in the yards around here have damaged bumpers, so it's really hard to find a good used one at all. But I was thinking for $130, you could probably by a newly remanufactured bumper.

If I go to a u-pull-it place and pull off a part, I would normally keep as many of the fasteners as I can, just to be sure I have enough of the correct types. The places around here don't usually charge for those bits.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:52 PM
yitzy
Senior User
That rear bumper was for my previous vehicle. My current one also now has a slightly smashed front bumper. But I have used it this way for over a year.

I just figured for such a low price, it pays to take it anyway.

I have seen new ones on eBay and craigslist for about $80 plus $50 shipping - the same $130 you mentioned. But they need to be painted, are missing the chrome molding strip, and do not have any mounting brackets.

The nuts and bolts I was talking about were extras, not attached to a part. Like I am now hoping to pick up a few ball studs for the rear hatch. Harry's nickel-and-dimed me, charging $1-$2 for every wire and bolt.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 PM
mmxchamp
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up the new plastic front bumper thingy for my van from pick n pull in the bay area for $40. I should have done it sooner, cause I sold the van 10 months or so after that. Oh well!

Old 08-20-2011, 02:43 PM
mstreman
Freshman User
Harrys U-Pull-it <wegotused.com> has 3 yards. The main yard is off I80/I81 in Hazelton PA --120 acres. ast time I was there he had 20-40 aerostars. He has a yard in Allentown of I78 and one in Pennsberg off 309 and 476 near Quakertown. On weekends they have a yard shuttle bus at the Hazelton yard. BUT the trucks/vans are right inside the gate.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:51 PM
mstreman
Freshman User
Oops in hast I missed that you didn't like Harry's-- yeah the daughter-in-law of one of the owners works the window and she obviously never read Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends. She usually does not work weekends. The Allentown lot wont let you carry in tool bags and makes you rent a bucket to carry tools. It is a long ways out of the way to make an economic protest statement but there is a Self Pull yard in New RIngold /Tripoli off Rt 309: pretty friendly and I know of 4 yards around Philly. Unfortunately, I don't have their exact names and addresses. The one on the northside nearer Trenton was very accommodating and had really good prices but alas I still can't recall town or yard name.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 PM
yitzy
Senior User
Thanks!! I know the one in New Ringgold, that is the one I was thinking of that told me "just take it" for some little stuff, or $2 for a whole tray of switches, wires, and *****. They were cheerful and friendly. The name is EZ Pull & Save. That will be my first stop. Not as big as Harry's and a little less organized (meaning more walking around, up and down hills) but still a good place to start.

I hope not to have to, but I plan on stopping by Harry's too if I haven't found what I need. Thanks for the Allentown warning about the tools. How can they be so restrictive and still have customers?

A Google search also turned up A-Z U-Pull in Shoemakerville. I don't know anything about it though.

If I finish early, on the way home I might visit Engler's in Wapwallopen (nowhere-ville). My internet search turned that up too. But not that they have anything that I need, but just for the fun of it. They supposedly have cars from the 40's, 50's, and 60's!!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 AM
yitzy
Senior User
I went, I saw, I disassembled! Here is what I can tell you now that I did it.

I went with my son and my father. My father took me many times since I was a kid. Now he has Alzheimer's and is starting to become senile, so as an activity to keep him occupied I took him along too. Ironic, how the tables have turned.

I went this past Tuesday. First stop was A-Z in Shoemakersville. Their website was pathetic, didn't even have their hours or price list. Well, that was a mistake. They are closed on Tuesdays!!! So I continued on to E-Z Pull in New Ringgold. Spent most of the day there. As I remembered, they are very nice. One of the workers there saw us looking at an Aerostar, and even without being asked told us where he had seen (or put) more of them. There were about 15 of them in various styles and years. None were totally stripped. They even crushed one while I was there, and brought out another. Some were in marvelous condition. One looked like the last owner was in middle of overhauling it. It had many new parts, and some extra parts inside (transmission, struts, not sure what some were).

I scored a beautiful front bumper cover, corner lights, third brake light, window track, vacuum lines, rear hatch lifters and ball studs, and some other minor stuff (bulbs, lights, *****.) When I brought it all up to the table they took one quick glance, said $70. I walked out with a huge smile. The only thing I didn't find there was a good sliding door. They were all rusted or dented. (Mine works fine but is caved in from a truck bumper.)

On the way home I then stopped into Harry's in Allentown. Tiny lot. Only one Single Aerostar in the whole lot! Probably wouldn't have been there either except it was buried deep in middle of four rows of cars with no aisle to drive the tractor between. But guess what? One is all it takes - it had a perfect side door. Wait - it gets even better! When I got to the checkout he said "$55" (they charge tax too,) but I asked "Aren't doors on sale this week?". Indeed they were, and after he apologized for trying to rip me off, he corrected the price to just under $30!!! ($28 plus tax.)

Now I just have to paint the door to match mine (the bumper I got is the right color.)

I didn't even visit the other yards. I guess I left some for the rest of you!

Old 08-27-2011, 02:46 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Great story...sounds like an excellent trip!

It's great to be able to find all these little bits and pieces that could end up costing you an arm and a leg at the dealer, if they even have them.