6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-11-2014, 07:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Firestone Air Bag Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:58 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firestone Air Bag Installation

All . . . .Has anyone installed the Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags to the 2011 F350 rear suspension? How did it go? The instructions say it takes 1 to 2 hours to install. Do you think that a senior citizen could install the air bags by himself?? (He has his own tools and a shade tree).

thanks ken

Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
It's an easy deal. The airbags go in pretty quickly. If you do an on-board air compressor, that adds to the task. Here's a quick video:

2011 Ford Super Duty Airbags Installation - YouTube

Old 08-12-2011, 03:56 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I went to do mine last weekend and ran into lines on the inner left frame rail (keep in mind mine's a 6.2) that I wasn't sure what to do with and couldn't get the bracket to line up with them there. I didn't pull the rear wheel off so it was cramped (and late) so I bolted the bump stop back up and left it. I tried to review the directions online but Firestone's website is so poorly written the online manual link didn't work once I found it 15mins later. The hard copy of the manual goes over this but some installation pics would've been nice.

I'm going to try again maybe this weekend or next weekend now that I have a better understanding of the setup (it's been 11 years since I last did a set of bags).

Old 08-12-2011, 05:46 PM
blenhardt
New User
Smile

I did install the Firestone air bags and it took about 2 hours. Did not take the wheel of of my 6.7 DRW. I also did not install the compressor.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:18 PM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
It's an easy deal. The airbags go in pretty quickly. If you do an on-board air compressor, that adds to the task. Here's a quick video:

Thanks for the video . . . . . Installation does not look too bad, if you don't install the air compressor. I could install the bags only and see if that works.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:28 AM
bdb2047
Senior User
I did not have a problem took more than 2 hours but us seniors are a little slow.Pretty much basic skills had to read directions more than once.I did not take wheels off or jack truck.Give it a try.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 AM
kabur66
Senior User

Eric . . . . . is that you in the video???

ken

Old 08-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by kabur66
Eric . . . . . is that you in the video???

ken
Oh yeah, that is our movie star !

Old 08-13-2011, 10:14 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Oh yeah, that is our movie star !
I am simply He-Who-No-Longer-Cares-If-He's-Pretty any more. Gave up any and all fear of what people think of me. It's very liberating!

That and it's nice to learn from others and pass on learnings. Part of the old professor in me

Old 08-14-2011, 09:40 AM
kabur66
Senior User
I am simply He-Who-No-Longer-Cares-If-He's-Pretty any more. Gave up any and all fear of what people think of me. It's very liberating!

That and it's nice to learn from others and pass on learnings. Part of the old professor in me
Thanks for the video . . . . good information and guidance. . . . ken

Old 08-14-2011, 11:38 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Question

How hard is it to instal the onbord compressor. I think it would be handy. Is it powerfull enough to do large tires? Maybe tractor tires, low psi high volume or high pressure truck tires.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:04 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Installing a compressor is pretty easy, especially if you use an up fitter switch for power which is doubly nice because it is fused.

To integrate the compressor to the air bags you need to have the right gauge. Firestone has a specific dash mount air pressure gauge that also controls the pump bit if you use this system you can't have a tank. They also have a dash mount air gauge that controls the inflation/deflation of the bags using air from a tank. This is how mine works, I have the VIAIR system that works as an independent air system and the firestone bags and gauge just use the air from the tank, very nice set up.

My VIAIR system has a 100% duty cycle compressor motor and a 2.5 gallon tank, 150psi at .4 cfm I think. Then I have an air chuck on my rear bumper for tires, etc.., an air horn, and the air bags. When I move the rocker switch to inflate the airbags it just draws air out of the tank. When I deflate the bags air comes out of them but not the tank.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Anson578
New User
Ruschejj,
I'm hoping this message finds you.
Currently have the same Compressor and tank as you do.
Looking to install Airlift or Firestone airbag set-up, and would like to use the air set-up i already have.

How is this done taping off the tank?

I'm interested in the wireless airbag fill, if it's possible. If not I'd still like what info you make bring to light for me on using the current air system you and I have.

Thank you!!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:34 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Anson578
Ruschejj,
I'm hoping this message finds you.
Currently have the same Compressor and tank as you do.
Looking to install Airlift or Firestone airbag set-up, and would like to use the air set-up i already have.

How is this done taping off the tank?

I'm interested in the wireless airbag fill, if it's possible. If not I'd still like what info you make bring to light for me on using the current air system you and I have.

Thank you!!
Airlift says they need a valve and pressure regulator between a tank and their controller if the tank air pressure is greater than 100psi (the max their little compressor can go). The valve would open when the controller normally starts the compressor. I have their wireless one kit.

I will be doing this early next year. Have the valve. I want to move the airlift controller to manage air for my trailair triglide pin box airbag

Old 12-07-2014, 09:03 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok cool. Lots of variables here but I will try to help.

1. You need a Firestone air gauge/manifold Firestone #2149 - Single Control Panel (black face) - Pneumatic (use with air tank) | SuspensionConnection.com

2. You need the ride rite kit. Ford F350 2011-2015 Air Bag Helper Springs by Firestone #2535 | SuspensionConnection.com

3. You need a couple of these "T" fittings Firestone (# 3025) Union Tee for use with 1/4" Tubing (each) | SuspensionConnection.com

You install the VIAIR system. Use a T fitting on the airline that goes on the in cab VIAIR gauge/power switch and tie in to the "in" on the Firestone manifold. Then you run an air line from the "out" on the Firestone gauge and this feeds the air bags on the axle. This allows you to have the available air from the VIAIR tank tied in to your Firestone system and all you have to do to air up is push up on the valve.

That's all right? It's pretty simple on paper.

Quick Reply: Firestone Air Bag Installation