6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Oil Capacity?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:13 AM
nycsteve
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Capacity?

When I changed the oil in my 6.2 for the first time 1 1/2 monthes ago I used the synth blend motocraft oil. IIRC it calls for 7 quarts, which I put in. The dipstick reading was showing more than full, to the point that I ended up draining maybe a 1/2 quart out, with the stick still showing a little over.
An interesting sideline, I had recently purchased a certified used Mercury Sable, which calls for the same synth blend oil, which the dealer changed fresh before purchase. I brought it back , because the dipstick was showing a 1/2 quart or more overfill. They dealt with it but were surprised that it was overfull.
My question is, is there some property of the synthetic blend oil that maybe causes more residual oil to stay stuck in the engine (maybe the coating of oil stays in place more than regular oil) when draining?
I ask as Im due for changes in the truck and the Sable soon, and am considering filling minus a 1/2 quart. I doubt the stick is off kilter in both vehicles or fill errors were made in both. As a matter of fact Im sure my fill was correct when I changed the truck.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:30 PM
lbrjet
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I change mine engine warm, level surface, letting it drain completely, like for a half hour. Use MC 5W20 and have never had any problem. My truck is a 2010 5.4L F250.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Super08
Posting Guru
If I recall mine took a bit less as well. It won't matter what type of oil you use. My 6.0 was the same. I usually leave the last quart until I have fired it up and filled the filter. Then I fill it about 3/4 the way to the full line. Once it has sat overnight it will be right on the line.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:20 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
How FULL was it? 7 quarts puts it between the full mark and about 3/8'' above. I would not waste any effort to drain out 16 oz of fluid. These engines really could hold over 9 quarts before the crank starts splashing in the oil. I have already torn down two of them and the dipstick has read different on each an every truck just slightly. Its not a precision measuring device just a simple visual check.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
How FULL was it? 7 quarts puts it between the full mark and about 3/8'' above. I would not waste any effort to drain out 16 oz of fluid. These engines really could hold over 9 quarts before the crank starts splashing in the oil. I have already torn down two of them and the dipstick has read different on each an every truck just slightly. Its not a precision measuring device just a simple visual check.
What he said^^ The book says 7 quarts with filter change and thats what I put in. Honestly, after about 5 oil changes I don't think i've looked at the dipstick after re-filling, not once, in the middle of intervals I have and the level has been dead on. Remember, do what the book says and the responsibility falls on Ford, not on you.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:52 AM
nycsteve
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Thenewboss
What he said^^ The book says 7 quarts with filter change and thats what I put in. Honestly, after about 5 oil changes I don't think i've looked at the dipstick after re-filling, not once, in the middle of intervals I have and the level has been dead on. Remember, do what the book says and the responsibility falls on Ford, not on you.
Well heres what happened after I changed the oil in the 2 vehicles I mentioned. To recap, I was wondering if there was a property of the synthetic blend oil that kept it from draining completly when changing, based on an overfill in both my 6.2 and a 2008 Sable I bought used that had the first oil change done by the dealer.
In the case of the Sable, the answer was easy, the dealer put in 6 quarts by thier own addmission, in checking the manual, it calls for 5 1/2 quarts. The dealer overfilled by 1/2 a quart.
In the case of the 6.2 , I noticed that more oil will come out of the drain after the filter is removed. Its my habit to drain the case and replace the nut, before removing the filter as its easier to catch oil coming from one spot at a time. This time I removed the nut after having replaced it after draining the case when I removed the filter. There was a fresh flow of oil after the filter was removed. This time 7 quarts was on the money.
As for doing what the book says and blindly adding the full 7 quarts with the resposibility falling on Ford, consider this quote from the manual,
" Do not overfill the engine with oil. Oil levels above this mark may cause engine damage. If the engine is overfilled , some oil must be removed from the engine by an authorized dealer. "
As far as I can see Ford has stated in thier manual that you must check the dipstick and its readings to be assumed accurate. In a worse case senerio, overfilling by dipstick readings will void thier warrenty. I've almost always changed my own oil over the years and have found the dipsticks to be accurate . In this case it was my own mistake causing a bad reading, and the mistake of the dealer in the Sable case. Also, I think the synthetic blend oil takes longer to drain out than traditional oil, I'll be allowing for longer drain time with future changes.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:32 PM
postman24
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycsteve
Well heres what happened after I changed the oil in the 2 vehicles I mentioned. To recap, I was wondering if there was a property of the synthetic blend oil that kept it from draining completly when changing, based on an overfill in both my 6.2 and a 2008 Sable I bought used that had the first oil change done by the dealer.
In the case of the Sable, the answer was easy, the dealer put in 6 quarts by thier own addmission, in checking the manual, it calls for 5 1/2 quarts. The dealer overfilled by 1/2 a quart.
In the case of the 6.2 , I noticed that more oil will come out of the drain after the filter is removed. Its my habit to drain the case and replace the nut, before removing the filter as its easier to catch oil coming from one spot at a time. This time I removed the nut after having replaced it after draining the case when I removed the filter. There was a fresh flow of oil after the filter was removed. This time 7 quarts was on the money.
As for doing what the book says and blindly adding the full 7 quarts with the resposibility falling on Ford, consider this quote from the manual,
" Do not overfill the engine with oil. Oil levels above this mark may cause engine damage. If the engine is overfilled , some oil must be removed from the engine by an authorized dealer. "
As far as I can see Ford has stated in thier manual that you must check the dipstick and its readings to be assumed accurate. In a worse case senerio, overfilling by dipstick readings will void thier warrenty. I've almost always changed my own oil over the years and have found the dipsticks to be accurate . In this case it was my own mistake causing a bad reading, and the mistake of the dealer in the Sable case. Also, I think the synthetic blend oil takes longer to drain out than traditional oil, I'll be allowing for longer drain time with future changes.
I've owned many vehicles during my lifetime. I always put the exact amount of oil that the manual states and have NEVER had a problem. The 6.2 requires 7 quarts of oil and that's exactly what I put in. I rarely check the dipstick unless I suspect that a vehicle is burning oil. Ford would not state that this engine requires 7 quarts if it needs only 6 1/2 quarts. Unless one doesn't know how to completely drain the oil.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Look at it this way, the oil pans are the same, the oil pump pick ups are all the same and Ford says to use X quarts. The only variable is the dip stick. Fill it with what is required and see where it is on the dip stick. This is your reference to check for any usage between changes.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Buckholz
Senior User
Consider that one source of error is the amount of oil in any given "quart" of oil.