2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust through warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:07 PM
pdqtimetrialer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust through warranty

I just purchased a 2004 F150. It's in great shape. The only blemishes are around the rear wheel well were the paint is bubbling, indicating from rust inside out. (I checked all the other seams on the truck and the look good.)

My question is - what was the rust through warranty Ford offered on these trucks? 7 years? 10 years? Does it transfer from owner to owner?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 PM
pdqtimetrialer
Senior User
Anybody know the corrosion warranty on a 2004 truck? 5 years? 7 years?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 PM
pidaster
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't know they had one.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
5 Years unlimited mileage from IN service date. I think you missed it by two years but yes it would have transferred to you at no cost if it was still valid.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:20 PM
mrjerryk
New User
I believe the owners manual says there is a 10 yr 100,000 mile warranty for rust. The only catch is it has to actually create a hole in the body for them to honor it. I am having a rust problem and Ford will not fix it. It's on my front bumper. I have an 04 STX model and my front bumper is painted red. I have several large areas that have no paint on it anymore and it's nothing but rust. My truck has 93,000 miles on it so I know it won't rust all the way through before the 100,000 warranty ends.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:34 AM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by mrjerryk
I believe the owners manual says there is a 10 yr 100,000 mile warranty for rust. The only catch is it has to actually create a hole in the body for them to honor it. I am having a rust problem and Ford will not fix it. It's on my front bumper. I have an 04 STX model and my front bumper is painted red. I have several large areas that have no paint on it anymore and it's nothing but rust. My truck has 93,000 miles on it so I know it won't rust all the way through before the 100,000 warranty ends.
time to get the icepick out!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:41 AM
bravo2
New User
My truck I had for only a year is a 2004 F150 FX4 Supercrew cab. I just went hrs ago and had the horn/airbag issue recall done. I know of two other recall but did not get anything on them in the mail and they will not fix except what you recieved a letter in the mail on. My truck suppost to came from a guy in Kentucky and then my buddy owned it for 6 months or so and i bought it from him.
I had the dealership look at a issue that has really gotten worse quickley and they had me go to there collision body shop dept. When I got my truck a year ago I did not have this issue. It was garaged kept I think all along. My friend garaged kept it and I did for 4 months. From last Dec. till now it has not been garage kept. I have seen rust underneath that was hardley non get worse in places. I drive this truck one time maybe two times a week and usually not far. I had not much rust on front bumper and it is getting worse now but thats not the issue I'm really having thats bad.
On the cab at the bottom at the corners by the bed on both sides of the cab its bubbling up. It started around late Oct. last year I noticed a couple bubble spots on both sides toward the rear of the cab just past the corner next to the bed that was not there before. While it was garage kept I noticed it get bigger and more in the same area. Then it seemed to stay that way for awhile. I noticed last month it has really grown to s quater sixe or so and it starting to come around the corner. Yesterday I noticed its all the way around the corner and its about roughly 2" to 3" area on both sides of the truck. It had no scratches or chips when i got it nor for long time then when the bubbles came up it started flaking very little spots over the bubbles. They said my truck had to be in salt water that road salt could not have done it. He also said that itd from the inside rusting out. He pulled a rubber gromet and saw no water that was about 10" from that area. He said it probably have to be cut out and area replaced with metal or fiberglass and then repainted. I noticed today it maybe about to start on my bed in the rear side panel. I will have to keep a eye on it. My truck is two tone. Silver all over and dark gray along the lower sides. The front and rear bumper is the same. I also noticed a few days ago my truck bed on the inside has started peeling. its peeling in the inner front corners of the rail at the front. Its peeling on the right inner part of the bed 4"x2.5" area. Its peeling on tops of both of the wheel wells. It just started doing this during this past week. I wish my truck was still garage kept but where i moved to I don't no longer have a garage.
The only other issue I had with my truck is I had to put shutter fix in my transmission fluid due to a jerkinging feeling I had that I originally thought it was the 4x4 actuators. It went away ever since i put shutter fix in. I did drop transmission pan and replaced filter that was already replaced that I did not know about when i got the truck. I wanted to do a complete flush but the mechanic could not get the hose off to hook it up for the pump flush deal. I still got to get it done. I have no idea about the spark plugs if they been changed. I know the actuator mount setup is the old style and the new one so it can take on water. Got to change it sometime. I would like to know if anyone else is having issues with rust on the body like mine. The guy stated this is the first he ever seen this and thought it was rusting out from the inside.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:36 PM
pdqtimetrialer
Senior User
I checked my owners manual and could not find any mention of the warranty coverage. I must be missing that booklet.

The truck has 140k, so it looks like I'm out of luck. I was hoping for 7 years/unlimited mileage.

Now that I've driven the truck for a week, I really do like it. It's going to be hard to go back to my old '95 from time to time for the messing hauling like mulch and stone.

My number one purpose for a truck is hauling our tandem bicycle around. It's 7 foot long. Then there's all my other bicycles to haul...