6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

The Science of Cleaning a Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:04 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Science of Cleaning a Windshield

More specifically, the interior of it. I started seeing the filmy deposit from the plastic dash degradation on mine, so decided to clean it. Oh holy crap, what an adventure that was!

I tried two different formulations of Windex, an alchohol based windshield cleaner I got from the auto parts store, grease-cutting 409, a vinegar and water mix, straight vinegar, and even a solution of Dawn and hot water! Nothing would get rid of the streaky, rainbow-hued smears (horribly visible from the outside in direct sunlight) except, in the end, many blue shop towels and lots and LOTS of elbow grease!!

Anyone know, first of all, what the hell I was smearing from one end of the windshield to the other, and more importantly, a fool-proof method for removal? Nothing I had would cut it, so it is a chemical mystery to me. Any clues, anyone?

Old 08-07-2011, 12:46 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I dunno, I always use windex, nothing else works for me in the streaky residue dept. Also, I use lots of paper towels. Using rags or the blue shop rags always leaves a film, for me anyway. Here is what I do:

1. Windex and roll of paper towels.
2. Spray decent amount of windex on the inside of the window.
3. Wipe with a folded paper towel til almost dry
4. Buff dry with a fresh paper towel.
5. Buff one more time with a clean dry paper towel to remove any streaks possibly there.

I use a lot of towels but they are cheap. No other process I have tried works as well as what I describe above. Don't know why, just what works for me.

If you actually have a foreign substance on your glass, I think I would choose straight rubbing alcohol. Straight ammonia if the alcohol does not work. The next level of cleaning would be brake parts cleaner, but be careful with it. Prob would damage the dash and the fumes in the cab would be very strong.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:22 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I use windex and paper towels.
If there's something left behind, I don't see it.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best stuff ive used on any glass is from Performance products inc. Foaming glass cleaner. The man who has been tinting all my glass for years put me on this. I have nothing but crystal clear glass,no streaks,use blue shop towels from walmart.there cheaper. must do in the shade. use it on all cars trucks and all glass on house.keep away from anything with ammonia.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:20 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
blue shop towels have a lotion or something in them that leave a residue. Only use white paper towels with no designs printed on them.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:51 PM
jggearhead
Junior User
John Deere Glass cleaner works great for me. spray 3 spots on take my micro fiber towel, clean, then wipe again then wipe one last time for good measure.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Originally Posted by lexustbs
blue shop towels have a lotion or something in them that leave a residue. Only use white paper towels with no designs printed on them.
I dont know what ones you maybe using.but i never get streaks. and white paper towels leave lint.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:15 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if the blue shop towels are the culprit, then that would make sense. Happened on two windshields, and they are the common denominator. I will definitely try just plain white paper towels - or coffee filters (no lint) - next time.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:19 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would try that. All the shop towels we have are like that. It's not like a tissue with lotion but it for sure does have something in it that is bad for windows.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:30 PM
gatormccluskey
Posting Guru
Just use a old newspaper. Try it one time.
Build up on the windsheild ? Rubbing alcohol and old newspaper
Bugs on the grill ? Fabric softener.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Jimax
Senior User
Microfiber towels leave no streaks. When you wash them, use no fabric softener in the washer or the dryer.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:34 PM
gatormccluskey
Posting Guru
Dryer sheets. Its the only thing that will get love bugs off in Mississippi

Old 08-07-2011, 09:50 PM
gandrimp
Junior User
I'll second the newspaper tip. I dont know why but it works.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 PM
arkie3
Junior User
Ditto on the newspaper - it works.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:32 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by ruschejj
I dunno, I always use windex, nothing else works for me in the streaky residue dept. Also, I use lots of paper towels. Using rags or the blue shop rags always leaves a film, for me anyway. Here is what I do:

1. Windex and roll of paper towels.
2. Spray decent amount of windex on the inside of the window.
3. Wipe with a folded paper towel til almost dry
4. Buff dry with a fresh paper towel.
5. Buff one more time with a clean dry paper towel to remove any streaks possibly there.

I use a lot of towels but they are cheap. No other process I have tried works as well as what I describe above. Don't know why, just what works for me.

If you actually have a foreign substance on your glass, I think I would choose straight rubbing alcohol. Straight ammonia if the alcohol does not work. The next level of cleaning would be brake parts cleaner, but be careful with it. Prob would damage the dash and the fumes in the cab would be very strong.
NO BRAKE CLEANER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I melted my fingerprints perminatly into some plastic gun grips once. They got changed. They make these windshield wonder things that hold special pads. Also folks used to use newspapers so it wouldnt streak.

Quick Reply: The Science of Cleaning a Windshield