1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

ford 302

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Tushy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ford 302

I've got a 302 from about 81.while I'm building a chassis I realised my original radiator's bottom outlet is opposite side with the water pump.my first thought was to modify the radiator.I rang a shop,and they said is not gonna be good because of my power steering and the pulleys,I need to change a water pump for a 65-67,need a same timing cover,damper,crank and water pulleys,different power steering bracket and I'm not sure what else.is it really the case?dont have just some simple cheap way?change a power steering pump maybe ?couldn't upload pictures.any ide pl help.cheers,Tushy

Old 08-06-2011, 05:56 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 588 Likes on 528 Posts
Unless I missed something, what are you putting the 302 into? What engine is you original radiator for? etc...

Old 08-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Tushy
Senior User
Originally Posted by spurredon
Unless I missed something, what are you putting the 302 into? What engine is you original radiator for? etc...
yes you're right,I forgot it,56 f100 radiator.cheers

Old 08-06-2011, 06:37 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to buy an aftermarket radiator with the correct locations?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:02 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or just modify a rad hose to fit.... I cut the hose used the correct size 45 degree muffler pipe elbow.... a few hose clamps...... done... has worked for quite a few miles..... even sprayed the pipe flat black and it barely shows up.... My 2 cents

Old 08-06-2011, 08:52 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
As mentioned, there's a lot of different options besides replacing every single bit from the front of the engine, just to make a rad fit. Rads are available for 56's to accommodate any engine water inlet/outlet configuration. And I don't understand what difference the power steering pump would have on your radiator?

Old 08-07-2011, 12:09 AM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
And I don't understand what difference the power steering pump would have on your radiator?
The problem I had was not with the pump but the lower rad hose on the water pump versus the power steering pump belt......my engine sits very low and the hose was hitting the belt, because it had to turn up quickly to get over the front x-member under the rad.... I could have run the hose thru the belt but I figured that would make a belt change a "pain in the you know"....... hence the modified hose with exhaust pipe elbows.......... My rambling thoughts

Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
I have a 302 in my 55 with the P/S and water pump on the driver side I don't have any issues. The radiator hose I'm using came from Advanced Auto I just had to cut some of it off. There may be some clear pictures in one of my galleries.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sparky
The problem I had was not with the pump but the lower rad hose on the water pump versus the power steering pump belt......my engine sits very low and the hose was hitting the belt, because it had to turn up quickly to get over the front x-member under the rad.... I could have run the hose thru the belt but I figured that would make a belt change a "pain in the you know"....... hence the modified hose with exhaust pipe elbows.......... My rambling thoughts
I had the same issue. As I have a serpentine belt on mine, I routed my belts in a different manner so as to avoid the bottom hose. I just fired the motor for the first time yesterday, so I'll have to see how the new routing works out.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Tushy
Senior User

I try to explain it.The engine is out of Lincoln,about 81,with the serpentine,underdrive belt.I didn't have a power steering pump on it,so I bought one,but with V-belt on it.The guy who I rang,he tried to convert everything for a power steering.plus the radiator problem.yes I thought about to modify my radiator,but still has to sort it out the belt and bracket problem.so will be crankshaft pulley,alternator,waterp,and power st pump on it.which way to go,V belt or possible to go the other way and change radiator outlet.hope this help,cheers guys,Tushy

Old 08-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Tushy
Senior User
Originally Posted by jaye
I have a 302 in my 55 with the P/S and water pump on the driver side I don't have any issues. The radiator hose I'm using came from Advanced Auto I just had to cut some of it off. There may be some clear pictures in one of my galleries.
Thanks,looked your pict,nice job.I try those guys with the hose,but still has the pulleys problem.and I'm not sure I will have enough space to the hose,my engine is very low.thanks anyway.Tushy

Old 08-07-2011, 02:39 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Tushy, if you can post some pictures of your brackets, we may be able to help further. Serpentine setups that I'm familiar with use a large front bracket where all of the accessories bolt to it without adjustment. You should have all the brackets you need, you just need the correct pump to bolt to it. The belt adjustment is taken up by the tensioner pulley.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Tushy is that the correct pump for the vehicle(besides the fact that it doesn't have the correct pulley)? Maybe you can locate the correct pulley for it, thus eliminating that issue. I'll pm you my email address and I can post your pictures if you email them to me.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Tushy
Senior User
[QUOTE=52 Merc;10669016]Tushy, if you can post some pictures of your brackets, we may be able to help further. Serpentine setups that I'm familiar with use a large front bracket where all of the accessories bolt to it without adjustment. You should have all the brackets you need, you just need the correct pump to bolt to it. The belt adjustment is taken up by the tensioner pulley.[/QUOTE

Hi,
if you could send me your email address I can send some photos.Thanks Regards
Tushy

Old 08-08-2011, 09:22 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru

Here ya' go Tushy. that pump looks like what I have on mine(87 T-bird). So, you'll need to locate a pump or a pulley. The pulleys require a special puller to remove them. Too bad you live where these parts are not easily accessible.

Quick Reply: ford 302