2010 Newmar fifth wheel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2010 Newmar fifth wheel

Old 08-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Elder User

rattleNsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
2010 Newmar fifth wheel

I saw advertised a brand new, never registered 32RKSH 2010 model offered at a real good price from a dealer in Delaware. ($20,000 below sticker) I know nothing of Newmar other than it's a real heavy unit (almost 12,000 lbs on a 32 ft). Are Newmar's a quality trailer with good furnishings, or is it a heavy white elephant that is prone to the same cost cutting measures? Is this a good deal, or should I keep searching? Any insight into the Newmar line would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Senior User

Fulltimer50 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I assume the model number is for a Country Star?? Although I have the entry unit that they dont make anymore I have been very happy with mine. They are heavy because they are well made. I think the dealer can do better on a two year old unit. It might not have been lived in, but it has been out in the weather.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Elder User

Thanks for the reply. It's not a Kountry Star but a Cypress 32RKSH model. It was made for a few years, but not one of the current 2012 line-up. Possibly it's an "entry-level" Newmar?
Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Post Fiend

RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Thanks for the reply. It's not a Kountry Star but a Cypress 32RKSH model. It was made for a few years, but not one of the current 2012 line-up. Possibly it's an "entry-level" Newmar?
Here's my take.

The unit you are considering is not high-end, but in general Newmar quality is very good. I have been to the plant for various and asundry reasons, toured, and test drove there mulitple times. Tech support historically has been very good. Unlike some manufacturers, the people on the other end of the phone know what they are talking about most of the time. If the price is right, it is certainly worth a look.

The one thing you do have to ask yourself is why it has not sold before now? Bad floorplans, for example, can really does make a huge difference in marketability.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Post Fiend

RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Forgot to ask, can you pm me the sticker price or tell me what percentage discount you are getting?

Steve
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 PM
FTE MD Chapter Ldr

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Or just POST it right here.....we all might learn something. It would be nice to see the list vs the asking price. I found out the asking price is still negoshable.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Elder User

Hey, thanks guys. I'll give you the link and you can check it out yourself.

The original sticker price was $ 55,844 plus $1,127 shipping

Here ya' go: 2010 Newmar Cypress 32 Rksh, Newark DE - 95622654 - RVTraderonline.com

Let me know your thoughts. I did ask the sales guy why it's been hanging around for 2 yrs and his reply was the folks around Delaware not owning diesel's to tow something that heavy. He blamed it on the weight issue. But he's a Newman dealer so what's up with that reasoning?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Post Fiend

As near as I can tell the Cypress line was discontinued in 2010. At least that is the last year listed in the dealer guide.You do want to be sure you see the manufacturer's actual MSRP.

The pricing is interesting because the asking is below dealer guide wholesale, currently $41,600. I am guessing the dealer picked this up as a factory close-out or took it from a dealer who went under during the current recession (oops, slow recovery).

This is a double slide rear kitchen. A rear entry living area is a much better selling floorplan and sales now on higher end units are towards triple and quad slides.

How do you see the entertainment center from the recliners in this floorplan?

2012 models will be out soon and have already been shown to dealers.

My thoughts, the price isn't bad. The floorplan is not going to be great on resale and line of sight between the recliners and entertainment center is very poor. The issue for me with this fiver is do you really like it, or are you simply shopping price?

Newmar products generally hold their value somewhat better than many other manufacturers and they almost always do well at auction. Having said that, I would never buy a two year old discontinued model unless I was sure I was going to hang onto it. With the floorplan, be careful not to tell yourself you can learn to live with something and then find out in six months you really can't.

As to negotiation, as long as folks are polite and don't open by talking down the product, you can always offer less than the asking price. The dealer is not going to sell you something at a loss. I am assuming here you do not intend to trade. Some days when I am on the lot someone will open with an offer that is simply ridiculous. Do that and no one will take you serious from the get-go.

Biggest thing in your favor? Right now sales are at a standstill!

If you look around, I suspect you will be able to find other 2010s at similar discounts.

My two cent worth,

Steve
Old 08-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Postmaster

87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Hey, thanks guys. I'll give you the link and you can check it out yourself.

The original sticker price was $ 55,844 plus $1,127 shipping

Here ya' go: 2010 Newmar Cypress 32 Rksh, Newark DE - 95622654 - RVTraderonline.com

Let me know your thoughts. I did ask the sales guy why it's been hanging around for 2 yrs and his reply was the folks around Delaware not owning diesel's to tow something that heavy. He blamed it on the weight issue. But he's a Newman dealer so what's up with that reasoning?

Strange, it appears to NOT have or very little access to the front storage area. Some other things, Do you want a booth or T&Cs? Viewing the television might be a pain in the neck. Do you really want a rear kitchen?

heres the floor:

Like others said, shop around for function, then find that magic price.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Elder User

Some very valid points guys. He sent the window sticker so I know it's accurate. Being 5+ hours away from the unit is tough to determine without a walkthru. Steve, yes I am trading in mu Jayco 304BH TT. It's a 1999 and not worth a whole lot to a dealer. Without it having a slideout or two, it would prolly be tough to move on my own.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Some very valid points guys. He sent the window sticker so I know it's accurate. Being 5+ hours away from the unit is tough to determine without a walkthru. Steve, yes I am trading in mu Jayco 304BH TT. It's a 1999 and not worth a whole lot to a dealer. Without it having a slideout or two, it would prolly be tough to move on my own.
You gotta see it in person. That's a given.

As to the trade, the way it is going to work on a 99 a no-slide is the allowance on the trade is going to be what you could have done with no trade. Normally you try to have enough in the asking price so on less desirable trades you take em in for free. By the time you figure overhead they are not worth much to the dealer. If your TT is in good shape, it should hold value at somewhere around $3,500, maybe more selling it yourself. We normally figure anything below $3,500 as a parts trailer. My best guess. Book value has no relevance for older units if in good shape.

Steve
Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Senior User

The Cypress is the entry level model for that year. The "cheapness" is in the details such as cheaper plastic toilet, sinks and faucets, not in any contruction or running gear. All of the Newmar basic quality is still there.
When looking at the price be sure to know what is standard and what is optional. Also be sure of the length. I have a '06 29KSRE that is 33'. The number in the model number doesnt mean the length.
You might want to give newmar a call and ask about their warranty on that unit.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50 View Post
The Cypress is the entry level model for that year. The "cheapness" is in the details such as cheaper plastic toilet, sinks and faucets, not in any contruction or running gear. All of the Newmar basic quality is still there.
When looking at the price be sure to know what is standard and what is optional. Also be sure of the length. I have a '06 29KSRE that is 33'. The number in the model number doesnt mean the length.
You might want to give newmar a call and ask about their warranty on that unit.
Warranties start with ownership, at least I have never seen one that doesn't. Newmar has had a hard time competing in the entry to mid-level marketplace.

They really do not make an entry level model, in my opinion, just a less expensive one than their others. Unlike many manufacturers with broader model lines, they simply do not do junk.

Steve
Old 10-02-2011, 04:16 PM
New User

Lincolnpark is starting off with a positive reputation.
I see you've got a Cypress 29KSRE, how do you like it? I'm looking at a couple used ones and I've heard that Newmar makes a pretty good trailer. It seems heavy for it's size, do you think a F250 Diesel could pull it alright? Have you had any problems with it? Thanks.

Denis
Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Senior User

Denis,
I still like my Cypress. I have had only minor problems and took care of them myself. I pulled it with a '99 F250 PSD for 6 yrs. I bought the Cypress in 06 because it was within the reach of my truck and I knew Newmar quality. Replacing the suspension with MorRyde with disk brakes was a great improvement.