6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Looking at new camper

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:28 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at new camper

I'm considering a new unit and looking for opinions.

I have a rear entertainment unit now and like it other than the sleeping arrangements for the kids doesn't work as well as I'd hoped.

Looking for opinions on this unit
http://www.keystonerv.com/montana/mo...w/model-mobile

Looks like it still has a good family room area and gives the kids some great sleeping options and a bit of privacy if they choose.

I like keystone but don't know a ton about Montana. Good bad?

Worth the 75k price tag? Local dealer has one loaded up msrp is 98k so they say. What's a good price given the msrp and it has every option available?

Old 05-11-2016, 11:58 PM
Rattler1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailers seemed to have about a 40% markup when I had to replace mine last year after a tree fell on it.

My wife and I prefer bedrooms at opposite ends with kids. We went with an Open Range TT so we could use the bed space to haul a golf cart.

They also have some nice 5th wheels that had outside kitchens - you need an outside kitchen.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:33 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
We looked at this very unit s few months ago but ended up ordering a 3790RD as our son is 16 and may not be camping with every time now. Plus, he loves the two pull-out sofas next to the TV

As far as pricing, take the MSRP and take off between 30-40% as has been stated. That's pretty much the standard across the nation. Ours was about 37% when we went with our local dealer.

Good luck in your decision. Montanas are great RVs..

Old 05-12-2016, 05:30 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
^^^^ This. 35-37% off MSRP is about standard fair but depending on the dealer, you may have to fight for it. Some dealers will outright refuse to sell at that level and then it's time to move on or overpay for the convenience of buying local. Another member just bought a Cardinal local and got 33% off which I think is still great considering he didn't have to travel. I got 37% but had to go to OH to get it. If I could have bought local for 33 off, I would have jumped on it but I couldn't get the dealer any closer than $9600 apart from OH and then they stopped returning my calls when I tried to negotiate further.

As to Montana, it's a very decent brand. There are a few members here in the 6.7 section who bought them recently and have been very impressed. With any brand it's a crap shoot as to how many issues you will have when new. They all have some problems and some have many. Remember, it's a 40 foot house rolling down the road at 70MPH built in 3 days. Something(s) is going to shake loose....

Old 05-12-2016, 06:17 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts
Oh oh oh....another goner....hahaha. Montana is a good brand. Do your research though, there are I believe three different Tiers of Montana, and it seems like the re-arranged which was which. I'm sure others will chime in with the info

Old 05-12-2016, 07:01 AM
Rattler1
Senior User
The best thing you can do is join some Montana owners forums and check out what the current owners are saying.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:20 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,023 Likes on 2,203 Posts
If they have the individual unit you are looking for on the lot, check over the quality of the build closely. Then go look at some other brands. I think you will find the Montana's are better than many, but what's important to me might not be what's important to you. The separation of the kids area is a really nice feature for the kids now and into the forseeable future. I really think it's a good fit. The larger shower is a bonus!

Old 05-12-2016, 08:53 AM
tracyclifton
Elder User
We have had our Montana for almost 5 years. We are very satisfied, but like most we had to have several warranty issues sorted out when we bought it. I looked at those floor plans this year. After camping with 3 sons over the past 20+ years I can tell you that we have enjoyed the second 1/2 bath more than anything. Ours has the bunk room and bath room in the rear of the coach. It also has the separate outside entrance for the rear bath. I looked at a few this year that have a full bath in the rear. If you are going that big and spending that much money, you may want to look at toy haulers. Even if you don't haul toys, the garage area usually has a queen bunk and maybe a 1/2 bath. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another question -

Is there any must have option/feature this Montana doesn't have/offer that a similar floor plan in a different brand does?

Such as full body paint. I didn't see that listed as an option for the Montana.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:45 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew010
Another question -

Is there any must have option/feature this Montana doesn't have/offer that a similar floor plan in a different brand does?

Such as full body paint. I didn't see that listed as an option for the Montana.
It's an option on Montana (I found the below in the options section of their website) and personally, I wouldn't have another RV without it. It's not just the looks but the longevity of those looks. I had three standard fiberglass/decal RV's in the past and no matter how well you took care of them, they would oxidize, the graphics would fade and start to peel, and they always had black streaks.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:21 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts
Agreed. Just went through that. Its a pretty pricey option. Listed as a $11K MSRP option on the Cardinal we have ordered. But as Rodney said, its not just about the looks. Its the durability. Our old trailer that we are about to get rid of is 12 years old. All of the decals are either already peeled off, or rolling back, and the surface(aluminum) is so oxidized that I gave up about 3 years ago. I used to use a very fine automotive buffing compound followed by wax every year, still didn't matter.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:31 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rattler1
The best thing you can do is join some Montana owners forums and check out what the current owners are saying.
I found that if you believed everything you read on owner forums you'd stay at home and not own an RV

As it was said, doesn't matter what you buy or how much you pay, you'll have problems. Either buy new and have a good dealer or buy used and fix things yourself (and save the 1st yr depreciation). I chose the latter.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:12 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,023 Likes on 2,203 Posts
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28
I found that if you believed everything you read on owner forums you'd stay at home and not own an RV

As it was said, doesn't matter what you buy or how much you pay, you'll have problems. Either buy new and have a good dealer or buy used and fix things yourself (and save the 1st yr depreciation). I chose the latter.
Wise words here...
I probably wouldn't ever leave the house and live in constant fear

Old 05-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Rattler1
Senior User
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28
Or a Ford or chevy or dodge or...

I agree somewhat but you can get a sense of what problems are occurring and how major they are. But more importantly you can get a feel for how the manufacturer handles fixing the problems.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:26 PM
Rattler1
Senior User
Originally Posted by djousma
Agreed. Just went through that. Its a pretty pricey option. Listed as a $11K MSRP option on the Cardinal we have ordered. But as Rodney said, its not just about the looks. Its the durability. Our old trailer that we are about to get rid of is 12 years old. All of the decals are either already peeled off, or rolling back, and the surface(aluminum) is so oxidized that I gave up about 3 years ago. I used to use a very fine automotive buffing compound followed by wax every year, still didn't matter.
I have used Dow Scrubbing Bubbles for a couple decades after my grandparents who were lifelong rv'ers suggested it. It works. You still have to use a brush and work the surface but it is the best I have ever used. I've had other people ask me what I use because my trailers always shine and are streak free.

Quick Reply: Looking at new camper