6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:43 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 906 Likes on 328 Posts
Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel

You all are such a bad influence. Getting the bug to replace the 12 year old bumper hitch trailer with this:

EDIT: Link removed, dealer has sold this unit.

Been through it a few times, love the build quality. Makes it hard to even think about using our current TT even for another year. Selling dealer is great to deal with. A quick scan on the internet and I am guessing that they may come down another 10K on that price they have listed.

Anyone have any experience with Forest River/Cardinal?

Old 05-03-2016, 08:13 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,065 Likes on 2,216 Posts
Wow, that is one gorgeous fiver! Smarter people will advise you on pricing. Good luck Dave!

Old 05-03-2016, 11:00 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
NICE

Hey I think that nicer then my house.

On Price, Shop it. On Price.....

Old 05-03-2016, 11:55 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Dave, that is a great floorplan! I went through all the pics and it's a gorgeous rig. It looks to have all the options too including full body paint. (I wouldn't own another trailer without it...) I am very happy with my FR product and if I wasn't a toy hauler guy, I too would be shopping Cardinal. As to price, figure between 35-39% off MSRP. Mine was 37% off a special ordered unit. Perhaps you could do a percent or two better on a stocking unit. 37% off the retail listed for that unit is $65918. I would go in at 65 and fight hard for it. Maybe come up to 67 if you have to but nothing more.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:33 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's one listed in BC, didn't check the option list. A whole 1700 off list

We get so hosed up here in Canada.

2016 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL Stock: 16-N1657 | Country Camping Leisure Products

Old 05-03-2016, 12:39 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Players Steve - Could you import it and what would that cost?

Old 05-03-2016, 01:24 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Dave, that is a great floorplan! I went through all the pics and it's a gorgeous rig. It looks to have all the options too including full body paint. (I wouldn't own another trailer without it...) I am very happy with my FR product and if I wasn't a toy hauler guy, I too would be shopping Cardinal. As to price, figure between 35-39% off MSRP. Mine was 37% off a special ordered unit. Perhaps you could do a percent or two better on a stocking unit. 37% off the retail listed for that unit is $65918. I would go in at 65 and fight hard for it. Maybe come up to 67 if you have to but nothing more.
Thanks Rodney. Thats what I was thinking too. You dont think time of year is going against me? I always thought late summer was better for the buyer.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:27 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Also, i have the 5th wheel prep on my 2016. Not sure which hitch to go with. Dont think I need a slider, but not even sure on that either. I want something I can remove and have a clean bed to haul stuff.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-03-2016, 02:16 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
The time of the year should have nothing to do with it. Mega dealers like Jeff Couch and RVW do this type discount year round and on special orders too.

On the hitch, the factory prep is Reese Elite and I run the Elite 25k in mine. Your trailer will be lighter than mine so I'd go with the B&W companion rated to 20k. It will also drop right into the factory prep with no adapter and cost less to boot. I'd probably be OK with 20k but my RV is pushing 20k and is rated to 21k. I may just see that weight if I ever do my Cooper convertible in the garage. However, those who love BW say they are super conservative with their ratings so a 20k BW could well be as strong as my 25k Reese. Anyways, either is a fine choice...

Old 05-03-2016, 02:21 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback from those that have already been there... I hope it all falls into place. Luckily all of the camping we have reserved already are sites large enough to accomodate. Maybe I've been thinking about this for awhile.....hahaha

Old 05-04-2016, 03:41 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
We looked at this very model at the closest RV dealer to me about 8 miles away, before they stopped carrying the Cardinals. They never gave me a reason for stopping other than "price point" for their location. I LOVE THIS CAMPER!!! I love the full body paint as well. Was not a fan of it initially as they seem to use darker colors, which i like lighter ones being here in the south. You can walk by some of the darker colored MHs at Camping World and literally feel the heat being put off from the sun.
The only draw back to me in this rig is the corner shower. With most of the market going to full showers, it seemed odd that they stayed with the smaller one. BUT, it is a still a CAMPER
The only thing I would add to this luxurious coach is a set of awning toppers. To me, they are worth every penny. Some say that in the winds of Texas they flap a lot, but where I live, they keep debris off of the top of the slide and provide a sunscreen for each.
Good luck on this. I hope it all falls into place and you get to own this magnificent rig!!

Old 05-04-2016, 06:10 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by golfmedik
We looked at this very model at the closest RV dealer to me about 8 miles away, before they stopped carrying the Cardinals. They never gave me a reason for stopping other than "price point" for their location. I LOVE THIS CAMPER!!! I love the full body paint as well. Was not a fan of it initially as they seem to use darker colors, which i like lighter ones being here in the south. You can walk by some of the darker colored MHs at Camping World and literally feel the heat being put off from the sun.
The only draw back to me in this rig is the corner shower. With most of the market going to full showers, it seemed odd that they stayed with the smaller one. BUT, it is a still a CAMPER
The only thing I would add to this luxurious coach is a set of awning toppers. To me, they are worth every penny. Some say that in the winds of Texas they flap a lot, but where I live, they keep debris off of the top of the slide and provide a sunscreen for each.
Good luck on this. I hope it all falls into place and you get to own this magnificent rig!!

thanks Monty! I've been following your story all along. YOU are one of the bad influences around here....hehe

Old 05-04-2016, 09:32 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
thanks Monty! I've been following your story all along. YOU are one of the bad influences around here....hehe
Really???

Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
In a good way!

Old 05-04-2016, 10:46 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dakster
Players Steve - Could you import it and what would that cost?
You can import an RV into Canada. Cost is RIV fee for border processing which is 200$. Taxes are the same on imported or domestic RV purchases, 13% of the price.

New RV's are cheaper in the US, used ones vary and mine was cheaper up here than what I could find in the US. Also have dollar exchange to factor in.

Quick Reply: Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel